Graphite vs Steel Iron Shafts

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
THP TV speaks with Chad from Fujikura to discuss the advantages of using graphite iron shafts over steel. This was featured in the THP PGA Show Coverage and for those that missed it, here is a fantastic segment.

All THP TV spots are available @THPGolf on YouTube, the THP TV Player on the Home Page or the THP Mobile App in iTunes

I completely agree with Chad and for the health benefits alone, I will never go back to steel shafts in any club except putter.

Graphite vs Steel Iron Shafts

Well done on the video front, love the cube logos and animation! I literally hit a graphite iron for the first time a few days ago and was really impressed with the feel and the ball flight. I don't quite understand what are the health benefits of graphite over steel?

Thanks I have been really thinking about this lately, will be 55 this year.
At the end of last year my left wrist was starting to hurt at the turn.

But what can be done so my playing partners won't make fun of me? I'm joking lol. I have actually thought about trying some to see if I can't squeeze out a few extra yards. I only hit my 7 iron 150ish. So maybe this is the answer.

I can't imagine ever going back to steel.

I'll 2nd that! My shoulder can keep me from playing extra rounds with friends... A combo of these shafts and some PT yielded a night and day difference.

Loved this bit during the show. Although I have no issues with steel right now, the next time a change irons, I fully expect to switch as there are several options out there that I believe I would enjoy and would give me the performance benefits chad speaks about.

Are there any companies offering graphite iron shafts with the AMT graduating weight profile? The X100 AMTs I'm using are amazing and have improved my dispersion quite a bit . No doubt father time will catch up with me sometime soon and I will be looking at graphite for my irons.

I've always liked graphite.

One of my favorite segments we shot. Chad makes it understandable and to the point.

After playing the Recoils, I can't imagine going back to steel!

I remember this segment sticking out when I first watched it. Really good. Add me to the list of people that will probably not be going back to steel. 3 years with graphite and really enjoying them.

It's amazing to think of the benefits and how it's just not the standard thinking these days for younger golfers in particular. Looks like Chad is trying to change that in a big way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had that thought for years but i took a chance on trying True Temper's new XP series with the XP 95 shaft and i found these shafts to be easy to hit , not having the traditional stingers on thin shots and have every bit the distance of graphite , i have these shafts in Mizuno 900 series hot metal irons but have other irons with graphite which will be in the bag most of the season but i do switch at times just because for many years i played exclusively graphite but i have the itch to change

Having tried the Steelfibers a couple of times and Recoils a couple of times with varied results and now back to Nippon Steel, I am seeing some wrist issues I did not with the Graphite. I just wish the Fuji line was not so darn expensive, I would love to go to the 120 or 130 shafts but at $800-$900 for a set that is a big leap and it is almost impossible to demo them before dropping that big coin.

EDIT, I may have been mistaking the Fuji and Matrix graphite shafts price wise.

Last edited:
My favorite part "that's hurtful".

Definitely remember watching this segment with interest, my next set will definitely have graphite shafts installed on them.

I've watched this clip a few times. It makes sense but for someone that is in a set of irons already. The cost really keeps me away from it. I played the Recoil Proto F4 for a bit. They were every bit as good as anything steel I've played. I'm just not willing to pay top dollar to swap my iron shafts at this point.

Enjoyed the AskChad segments. For me it's about never having tried graphite. I do think they would benefit me, just want to get fit for the right one.

I really need to get graphite in my wedges ASAP. After going to composite in the irons, I can't imagine going back to steel on a consistent basis.

So to those that know are the Fuji MCI similar in theory to Steelfibers or completely different tech?

This was a good video. I switched to graphite last fall in my irons and won't ever go back. Even have the graphite in my wedges and love it.

Are there any companies offering graphite iron shafts with the AMT graduating weight profile? The X100 AMTs I'm using are amazing and have improved my dispersion quite a bit . No doubt father time will catch up with me sometime soon and I will be looking at graphite for my irons.

Yes. Recoils have graduating weight

Back