Callaway XR Irons - THP Review

I need to go hit these, I think its about time for a new set of irons.

Did you hit these in Cali Dean? You'd like them.

nope. Did not swing any Cally clubs. Well except for a heavenwood. And I made sure I went home with one haha

nope. Did not swing any Cally clubs. Well except for a heavenwood. And I made sure I went home with one haha

We could fix this.

Also, mini thread. :alien:

A set of these will be at the Texas gathering this weekend for anyone interested. Also available for Friday's round in Dallas.

A set of these will be at the Texas gathering this weekend for anyone interested. Also available for Friday's round in Dallas.

Well then I'm riding with you Friday!

Well then I'm riding with you Friday!

I won't be playing them but they can be in your bag. I'm speaking for Jman but I think he's okay with that. :)

They will??? LOL!

very nice. Bet that's a good combo.

Man this combo really works well for me. Just so easy to hit well and Nice ball flight and carry.

Last edited:
After hitting, and reporting on, the XRs earlier this week, I kick myself for not thinking about going to the Annika Academy while I was in town a few weeks back. I drove right by the freaking course, too. A solid fitting there would have been nice. #StupidMe

I hit 'another' iron Tuesday, and now want to try the shaft that was in that in an XR and see what happens.

New to HP but been creeping this forum for the last few days. I would like some advice concerning the XR irons. I'm a mid to high handicapper looking at buying some new irons. I've tested both the xr and xr pros and both felt better than all the other clubs I tried. The dilemma I'm in is which model to buy. Like I indicated earlier I'm a mid to high handicapper who just started golfing seriously last year. I've read two theories for buying clubs. Theory #1 Buy the XR and when I get better upgrade later. Theory #2 is to buy the XR pros right away and and forgo the second purchase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Secondly to this is what irons configuration should I purchase ? Im swaying towards 5-LW.
Thanks

XR vs XR pro

XR vs XR pro

Which clubs would be best for a mid to high handicapper ? XR or XR pro.

Which clubs would be best for a mid to high handicapper ? XR or XR pro.

Well, they are really completely different. One is going to be significantly smaller across the board. I say play what you would like and want, but the XR will offer a higher launch and more forgiveness. The Apex is right in the middle between them.

New to HP but been creeping this forum for the last few days. I would like some advice concerning the XR irons. I'm a mid to high handicapper looking at buying some new irons. I've tested both the xr and xr pros and both felt better than all the other clubs I tried. The dilemma I'm in is which model to buy. Like I indicated earlier I'm a mid to high handicapper who just started golfing seriously last year. I've read two theories for buying clubs. Theory #1 Buy the XR and when I get better upgrade later. Theory #2 is to buy the XR pros right away and and forgo the second purchase. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Secondly to this is what irons configuration should I purchase ? Im swaying towards 5-LW.
Thanks
I think a good fitter if you can find one can answer all this. I think the xr would offer you the best help on the course and I always pick the easier irons because theres more room for error out of different lies and they usually launch higher.

My new XR's (5-AW) came in yesterday, I can't wait to get them on the course tomorrow. They are great looking irons.

I think a good fitter if you can find one can answer all this. I think the xr would offer you the best help on the course and I always pick the easier irons because theres more room for error out of different lies and they usually launch higher.
How is the XR with the Recoil Graphite Shafts working out for you

How is the XR with the Recoil Graphite Shafts working out for you

I really like the combo and feel of them. I have good control of the club face and hit them really straight. The real test will come when the courses open here.

Has anyone compared the XR irons to Apex irons? I'm interested in both with recoil shafts. I've been able to try the apex irons with recoil but no one in my area carries XR irons with recoil.

Has anyone compared the XR irons to Apex irons? I'm interested in both with recoil shafts. I've been able to try the apex irons with recoil but no one in my area carries XR irons with recoil.

I have both sets. Both are solid, but quite different. The XR is going to be bigger in most areas and features a cup faced design to offer maximum forgiviness. The ball will launch higher with XR and the wider sole will help many golfers from different lies. The Apex is a softer iron, that blends the gap between enhancement and improvement. I have played both with the Recoil shafts and like both, but they are quite different.

Got to hit these off real turf today in about 2" grass. Some sitting up and some down. All shots get out there. Ones high on the face are a loud click, center is butter, and low on the face is muted but still gets the ball up.

Got to hit these off real turf today in about 2" grass. Some sitting up and some down. All shots get out there. Ones high on the face are a loud click, center is butter, and low on the face is muted but still gets the ball up.
How's your Dispersion with the different contact across the face

How's your Dispersion with the different contact across the face

They are all pretty straight. Hard to tell distance hitting into a treed area but I would guess within a 20 yard circle with 6i.

I ordered just a single XR 6 iron (KBS TourV90 s), 1 degree flat and will see if it kicks my Apex 6 iron out of the bag. I don't have tons of probs with the Apex except I think it needs to be flatter with a lighter shaft. The 6 was the only club I was having a noticeable problem with (hitting low hooks) compared to the Jpx825's I had before.

So if anyone cares, the KBS TourV90 works fine in the XR and Callaway will ship it the "standard" XR length unless told otherwise. Compared to the SpeedStep I demo'd the TV90 is just a tiny bit lower launching, lower ball flight and basically not much of a difference to me. Based on yesterday the XR is not difficult to hit out of the rough either and it definitely got me onto a green I had no business getting near after blowing a drive.

It also fits in quite nicely with the Apex.

EDIT: I will add that after two rounds with the XR 6 iron it's working out well, the sound of it is completely "clicky" and different than the Apex (obviously) and my group has picked up on that "oh that was your 6 huh?"

BOu9TEJ.png

Last edited:
I've got my first 9 in with these and am hitting them right where im aiming with a penetrating ball flight. I could be wrong but it seems the face cup distance kicks in more when you trap the ball as opposed to picking or sweeping it off the turf.

Going to order my XR irons this week. Decided to go 4 and 5 hybrid and then 6-PW. Just wondering if I should go with the standard XR AW,SW,LW or buy these separate ? If buying separate what lofts would you recommend?

Back