Help me. Confused on club fitting.

dragnframe

Reaction score
Handicap
So my question is, can stainless club be fitted? I've been told stainless won't hold a bend. That it has a memory and you are wasting money if someone tryst to bend them.as it won't hold.

Now,today I was told that you could with no problem up to, I believe he said 1.5 degree. Anything more then that they would order fron the manufacturer.

So, which is true?

Thanks

I believe the clubs are ordered from manufacturer when over a certain amount of adjustment (ie. can't guarantee not damaging the club because of the adjustment).

I do not believe the memory statement is true.

Some can, some can't. It's not because of memory - PING will gladly bend most of their 17-4 or 431 stainless clubs a few degrees. But it is a harder metal, and a lot of clubs have structural elements that can break during bending.

I'm looking at the Taylormade speedblades. And guy at dicks said no problem but I'll be honest I'm scared to 100 present trust the guy at dicks. If I pull the trigger would I be better off going to a golfsmith or golf glaxey and getting them from one of those places?

I'm looking at the Taylormade speedblades. And guy at dicks said no problem but I'll be honest I'm scared to 100 present trust the guy at dicks. If I pull the trigger would I be better off going to a golfsmith or golf glaxey and getting them from one of those places?

Dicks, golf galaxy, and goldsmith are all the same. Dicks owns them all. I would go with ordered from manufacturer if you are concerned

Dicks, golf galaxy, and goldsmith are all the same. Dicks owns them all. I would go with ordered from manufacturer if you are concerned

This all new to me. If I order from the manufacturer, how do I know what I need with out going to one of those places first?

Last edited:
This all new to me. If I order from the manufacturer, I do I know what I need with out going to one of those places first?

You can order through the big box stores and go through their fitting process. You can also do demo days if you already know what you want or through a local clubfitter.

You can order through the big box stores and go through their fitting process. You can also do demo days if you already know what you want or through a local clubfitter.

How would you rate the fitting process at like a dicks,or golf glaxey?

How would you rate the fitting process at like a dicks,or golf glaxey?

Depends on the knowledge of the fitter. Generally varies by location. Some have had good success while others haven't.

If you just want to chase ideal numbers on a launch monitor or have a set product in mind them go anywhere. If you want a quality fitting ask about the persons experience and what they plan on doing during the fitting.

Depends on the knowledge of the fitter. Generally varies by location. Some have had good success while others haven't.

If you just want to chase ideal numbers on a launch monitor or have a set product in mind them go anywhere. If you want a quality fitting ask about the persons experience and what they plan on doing during the fitting.

If I go and get them from a golf galaxy or dicks. Will they do a shaft fitting and all that and does that change the price compared to what is listed on there website?

I appreciate all the help. Never had any kind of fitting done. Want to go and make sure I'm getting the most bag for my buck.

If I go and get them from a golf galaxy or dicks. Will they do a shaft fitting and all that and does that change the price compared to what is listed on there website?

I appreciate all the help. Never had any kind of fitting done. Want to go and make sure I'm getting the most bag for my buck.

From what I remember they charge unless you purchase clubs from them. Typically brick and mortar will fit you to the shafts that are available from the OEM and are on their fitting cart.

From what I understand, the spring-back rate for stainless is higher that that of carbon steels. Therefore, the deformation would have to be more exaggerated initially. I would leave those manipulations to a reputable golf shop/club maker...

Guys,thank you for all the advice. This is all new to me and I'm sure I sound stupid. Any other tips and tricks I should k m own when I go?

Thanks for all the help

I don't trust club fitters anymore. I went to two of them and both told me the same thing. They said I needed regular flex shafts that were 1/2 inch longer than standard and irons bent 3* upright. Instead of buying a set of clubs with those specs or getting fitted, I decided to buy one used iron from Ping that matched the specs. Cost me less than $10 for a 6 iron, white dot. Went to the range and everything I hit was low and to the right. Used my standard Ping Eye 2 black dot 6 iron with stiff shafts and everything went dead straight with optimal height. The fitters I went to were at Dicks and Golf Galaxy. I won't do it again. It was a waste of time and I could have wasted a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back