Rob's Lessons in golf balls

rbarthle17

One-length advocate
Reaction score
Handicap
cold rain
This thread will serve to cover my journey to learning the differences in golf balls.

About me:

I have been playing golf for almost 20 years, but only seriously for the last 5. I am a mid-handicap. I shoot mostly in the 80s now. The strength of my game is iron play. I know my full swing carry distances very well from 5i to GW, and lateral accuracy is pretty good. My biggest weakness is off the tee. My short game is decent but improving. My putting is not a weapon, but also not a detriment - I 2-putt most holes. I am absolutely a high ball hitter. My stock shot is a push or a push/fade.

My inside 100y strategy is to hit half-shots as much as possible, and play for rollout from the front edge of the green. So for an 85y shot to the hole I would swing a half 8i (my 150 carry club) and have it land at around 75y and bounce/roll from there (taking into account terrain and conditions). I find that the most consistent shot I hit outside of full swings. I try not to take full swings with my 45 and 58 wedges if I can avoid it. I can hit flop-type shots with partial wedge swings though. I can get out of most bunkers the first time and keep it on the green.

My driver swing speed is in the 95-104mph range.

My expected carry distances (rounded and assuming a calm day and a clean fairway lie) are:

Driver - 250+ (EDIT: this number is up for debate - see below - probably lower; off the tee obviously)
18° hybrid - 220y
2i - 205y (tighter lateral dispersion than the hybrid)
5i - 180y
6i - 170y
7i - 160y
8i - 140y
9i - 130y
PW - 115y
GW - 100y
Adams 54° - 90y

I have a 58° TM wedge but try not to use it for full swings unless it's teed up.

When figuring actual distances I always assume rollout will happen. I am not a spin player. So for total distance, I add 10y to the carry distance as a rule of thumb.

My gamer ball: I currently play the 2015 Bridgestone e7 and e6. The main reason for this was to control my lateral issues off the tee. For two years I did not bag a driver, that changed a month ago. But even with that my swing can be prone to some nasty left to right sidespin if I get lazy. I also needed extra distance out of a ball to counter somewhat my lack of a driver at the time.

My testing tools: For my experiments, I will be using my new SkyTrak personal launch monitor. I will be hitting balls in my air-conditioned garage off of my Monster Tee mat into my hitting net. So the conditions will be optimal with the only variance possibly being humidity. I will collect the data and post screenshots of it to this thread.

What am I looking for in this experiment?: Honestly I am not sure at this time. It could be as simple as gaining knowledge. It could be to find that "perfect" ball for me. Now that I bag a driver with a fair amount of confidence, I am open to what other balls may provide me around the green as long as I don't lose lateral accuracy off the tee.

In an ideal world, the perfect ball for me would be long off the tee and my long clubs with lateral control, provide some amount of stopping power on full swings with my 7i and lower, but not be the kind of ball that checks up and stops on chips and pitches. But if I had to pick a priority, lateral forgiveness is #1 and distance would be #2. Stopping power would be nice to have but not at the cost of the other 2.

Money is a consideration, but if there is a premium ball that shows numbers that do not lie, I will be willing to invest in it if it's worth it.

What am I looking for from you?: Any and all insight or comments is welcome. From interpreting data to ball recommendations or whatever. Even if it's you being curious to see what <X> ball would do, fire away!

Last edited:
The current contenders list

The current contenders list

Here is what I will be looking at using in my experiments:

Balls I currently have:
2013 Bridgestone e6 (I have a lot of them for practice)
2015 Bridgestone e6
2015 Bridgestone e7

Balls I am acquiring:
2014 Bridgestone B330-RX
Callaway Chrome Soft
TaylorMade project (a)
Nike RZN Black

My basis for choosing these balls is mostly from online reviews, a lot from here.

What is your Club Head Speed? EDIT: I see it mentioned, but am confused by the distances. You have a launch monitor I believe. It is showing 250+ carry?

What is your Club Head Speed? EDIT: I see it mentioned, but am confused by the distances. You have a launch monitor I believe. It is showing 250+ carry?

This may be off, but based on Skytrak so my average driver club speed is 103mph over 57 driver swings. I know that is a calculated number so I take it with a grain of salt somewhat.

EDIT: Skytrak has my drives going around the 250y mark total. But I had on course experiences as recently as last weekend that went well beyond that in wet conditions (GPS measured). The Skytrak forums have been talking about questioning the penal nature they apply to backspin particularly in terms of the driver (a lot of "I swing out of my shoes to get 240" type of comments). I am not too worried about my carry distance off the tee as long as it is consistent. That way I can see what difference the ball may be making. At least that is my thought process.

The main point in terms of finding the right ball is that i do have a driving game once again, but I'm not looking to magically become a 300y monster. If I had to pinpoint a number I'd like to maintain, 250 or more would make me happy - as long as it's controllable. But if I have to choose one thing over the other, give me accuracy over distance.

Okay. You are pretty much at perfectly optimal getting 250+ at a 103 swing speed (if not even better than optimal). So I would use whatever ball you are getting those kind of carry numbers with. Whatever that was, do not change a thing.

Okay. You are pretty much at perfectly optimal getting 250+ at a 103 swing speed (if not even better than optimal). So I would use whatever ball you are getting those kind of carry numbers with. Whatever that was, do not change a thing.

Here is the interesting thing, and what prompted me to do this. Last weekend I got that out of TWO balls. The 2015 e7 and the 2014 B330-RX. It got me wondering if there is a ball out there that really can give you it all, because I am pretty sure the B330-RX would be much better for stopping power on the green than the e7 would, no?

Possibly. But you are carrying the ball more than just about every other golfer out there with the swing speed given, so if that is the case, embrace it. I mean optimal given by places like Trackman says at 105 (which is a bit faster than you listed), perfect is between 251 and 263. That is with maxed out ball speed and pretty much perfect everything else.

Being at 250+ I assume you are seeing somewhere between 251 and 263. If that is the case, keep playing them because you are hitting the ball basically perfect off the tee.

Here is the interesting thing, and what prompted me to do this. Last weekend I got that out of TWO balls. The 2015 e7 and the 2014 B330-RX. It got me wondering if there is a ball out there that really can give you it all, because I am pretty sure the B330-RX would be much better for stopping power on the green than the e7 would, no?
I think there are two primary factors: 1) surlyn vs. urethan covers; and 2) the technique used by the golfer and the extent to which they are compressing the ball.

Image-9-2-13-at-6.07-PM-2.png

That chart is crazy, everyone on here must be maxing things out or have swing speeds of 115mph cause everyone has 270 carry Ive ever played with :)

That chart is crazy, everyone on here must be maxing things out or have swing speeds of 115mph cause everyone has 270 carry Ive ever played with :)

I think for most, it's a disconnect between carry and total distance.

Possibly. But you are carrying the ball more than just about every other golfer out there with the swing speed given, so if that is the case, embrace it. I mean optimal given by places like Trackman says at 105 (which is a bit faster than you listed), perfect is between 251 and 263. That is with maxed out ball speed and pretty much perfect everything else.

Being at 250+ I assume you are seeing somewhere between 251 and 263. If that is the case, keep playing them because you are hitting the ball basically perfect off the tee.

I am not getting those numbers on the SkyTrak, these were on course numbers and a small sample size of them at that. Skytrak has always been 5-10y shorter than my on course numbers for my irons, but the difference in terms of driver carry and total distances was closer to 20-30y, which seems like an awful lot.

What I did to measure my 3 best drives on Saturday was I lasered a target somewhere (a big tree usually). Then lasered the tree from where the ball stopped and did the math. I assumed not much carry because of the wet conditions and I did not see much watching it. There was no real wind and the course I played was flat. Again these are not scientific numbers but I had 3 drives that totaled over 275 yards each, the longest being 287. Two were with the e7 and one was with the B330-RX. I was not expecting the B330RX to fly like that.

I will fully admit that I am in over my head in terms of what a ball can and cannot do. I have the tools and the opportunity to do some experimenting. If nothing else comes from that, I will have had some fun. :)

I think for most, it's a disconnect between carry and total distance.

Quoting this because I could be doing the same thing in the eyeball test. All I could measure accurately was the end point, not where it first landed.

Quoting this because I could be doing the same thing in the eyeball test. All I could measure accurately was the end point, not where it first landed.

At 103 mph swing speed you could easily drive 270+ on course with the right swing mechanics. But it would *most likely* be total distance, not carry.

At 103 mph swing speed you could easily drive 270+ on course with the right swing mechanics. But it would *most likely* be total distance, not carry.

I definitely agree with that statement. I am not expecting to carry it that far but with the right ground conditions I could get some good rollout if I launch it lower than I tend to most times.

I only had one drive I could measure yesterday, and it was a slightly uphill drive with a R to L cross wind and I play a L to R fade. I hit it solidly, but it launched high (not uncommon for me). It ended up 254 total. That was with the e7. I was very happy with the drive, but to your point I have no idea what the carry was because I lost it in the sunset on the way down. What would be an expected rollout in that kind of situation, 20 to 30 yards? The fairway was dry, but not rock hard.

I am going to start ball testing in the next few days as I get them in.

I definitely agree with that statement. I am not expecting to carry it that far but with the right ground conditions I could get some good rollout if I launch it lower than I tend to most times.

I only had one drive I could measure yesterday, and it was a slightly uphill drive with a R to L cross wind and I play a L to R fade. I hit it solidly, but it launched high (not uncommon for me). It ended up 254 total. That was with the e7. I was very happy with the drive, but to your point I have no idea what the carry was because I lost it in the sunset on the way down. What would be an expected rollout in that kind of situation, 20 to 30 yards? The fairway was dry, but not rock hard.

I am going to start ball testing in the next few days as I get them in.

The E7 seems to be a really good ball off the driver. Best of luck with your testing!

Dave

Quick update. I have all the balls for testing now. However I have had zero time to be able to do anything. I am hoping to do some this weekend. I have figured out with SkyTrak how to separate sessions so that will help me.

Okay here's the first comparison. Bridgestone e7 (my gamer) vs. Callaway chrome soft.

I understand these are two different kinds of balls. The point of this was to see if I could get more spin on short irons with a limited sacrifice in distance the e7 offers.

First test was driver.

E7

680388f41f5d70c8a7561455c1e38aec.jpg

Chrome soft

49c4bdadf5ed65be179ebbca2a1b1d02.jpg

e7 driver averages
ball speed: 142.5
back spin: 3501
carry: 226
total: 239

CS driver averages
ball speed: 144.2
back spin: 3835
carry: 234
total: 247

This was the first surprise. Granted it was not hitting my best driver balls by a long shot, but I was expecting the E7 to outperform in this and it clearly did not.

Next is the 6 iron test.

E7

a39b85c1fd5a90a2c07e8cb08a41e25c.jpg

Chrome soft

0db569447eb2fe5bb5260cbca9b94621.jpg

e7 6i averages
ball speed: 118.6
back spin: 5022
carry: 171
total: 178

CS 6i averages
ball speed: 116.8
back spin: 5769
carry: 166
total: 172

First real difference noticed here. That's about a club different for me. Nothing I can't work with but its better to have a 7i in hand than a 6.

Finally the pitching wedge.

E7

dd5611c8d537f715703b561b19268014.jpg

Chrome soft

dd957e04f3b706817fe572663a3b0c03.jpg

e7 pw averages
ball speed: 95.6
back spin: 4178
carry: 129
total: 136

CS pw averages
ball speed: 100
back spin: 8356
carry: 126
total: 128

Wow. Almost the same carry but 5 yards less in rollout! That is huge on the green. It needs to be noted that my settings on sky track were for normal ground hardness. They recommend sending it to soft to replicate hitting a green. So likely the difference would be more.

The end result of this is I am getting a box of chrome soft to try out on the course. And it definitely lens to saying that Callaways marketing of this ball is legit.

4178 for PW? Typo?

4178 for PW? Typo?

Not a typo. The e7 does not spin with short irons. The chrome soft doubled the spin rate.

Were these full swings with your short irons?
Im wondering if there was some compression issues happening here to create more spin or something up with SkyTrack.

Were these full swings with your short irons?
Im wondering if there was some compression issues happening here to create more spin or something up with SkyTrack.

Yes. Full swings. Same swings for all shots. That spin rate is on par with every other time I have hit an e6 or e7.

Considering how different those three balls are, and that this is full swings, I am quite surprised. Ill just leave it at that...

Double the spin with a PW just doesn't seem possible in my mind. This makes me question skytrack

for the PW, would the large difference in avg clubhead speed and smaller, but still different avg launch angle have anything to do with it?

Back