High Handicappers playing a 60 degree?

I was always taught that more bounce is better for softer lies and deep rough while low bounce was better for tighter lies.

People overstate the difficulty involved hitting a 60° wedge. They'll tell you a 58° or 56° is fine, but those extra few degrees somehow makes it an unusable club. Poor wedge play (regardless of the loft) comes from poor technique, bad shot selection, and lack of practice.

That said, a 56° wedge is plenty of loft to get you out of the bunker if that's the only reason you're pondering it.

If you get one, taking full swings with it probably isn't a great idea. Look at more bounce than less. Get some instruction and practice.

Agree on all points.

Your handicap number doesn't determine what clubs you play. Why is your handicap high? A high handicap can have a pretty decent wedge game, and kill themselves elsewhere to get the big numbers on a hole.

I have a 58° wedge and I use it sparingly, but I feel comfortable using it on full swings in a bunker or on grass, and pitches in rough where I can get under the ball. The shot I do the worst with it is a greenside chip, so I won't go past my 54° for those. Like others have said, the key is committing to the shot.

If you fel comfortable using it, then use it. Your handicap number doesn't tell you what clubs you should use.
Your right. But my Achilles is my short game. Thats y I was asking

You may also consider the bounce angle of you 60* wedge to help you get out of the deep bunker. A good club fitter should be able to help you with this.
Bounce angle? Not sure what that is. I play a fat soled wedge in the bunker. Its a Tour Edge 1out, its alot like the Cleveland Smart Sole if uve never seen it. It gets me out but just barely sometimes. And when im in the deep high lipped bunker I cringe.

Alot of good input here. I think the consensus im getting is 60 degree is a great tool on the correct hands which I may not have. Im also gathering that bounce/sole grind is the most important aspect of a wedge.

Heres my next question, at a ping demo/fitting day recently I asked about sole and the guy said well do u play hard pan or wet and fluffy...... I paused because I didn't think that should be the question to determine my sole. I answered "I play where Golfnow takes me". He then had me hit some balls off a plastic board and looked at a sole sticker and told me im standard sole and lie.... I told him I struggled with digging standard soled wedges and he told me no... im as confused as ever

I was always taught that more bounce is better for softer lies and deep rough while low bounce was better for tighter lies.

I have always heard the same as well. The Cleveland wedge analyzer takes it a step further though with the shallow/steepness of one's swing getting factored in.

I have always heard the same as well. The Cleveland wedge analyzer takes it a step further though with the shallow/steepness of one's swing getting factored in.
This is a topic alright. But in a properly executed full swing, all turf interaction happens AFTER contact with the ball. So, how much should I consider full swing characteristics when I'm more centered around the specialty characteristics of wedges

Wedge analyzer sounds good but idk where I will run into one

I see absolutely no point for a high capper to have a 60 degree wedge in their bag. Max out at 56 or 58 degrees and open the face if you are really desperate to get the ball elevated, although it seems to me that most who struggle with course management would be better off chipping with a pitching wedge or 7 iron vs a high lofted wedge.

There is so much that can go wrong with taking a swing with a 60* wedge.

Alot of good input here. I think the consensus im getting is 60 degree is a great tool on the correct hands which I may not have. Im also gathering that bounce/sole grind is the most important aspect of a wedge.

Heres my next question, at a ping demo/fitting day recently I asked about sole and the guy said well do u play hard pan or wet and fluffy...... I paused because I didn't think that should be the question to determine my sole. I answered "I play where Golfnow takes me". He then had me hit some balls off a plastic board and looked at a sole sticker and told me im standard sole and lie.... I told him I struggled with digging standard soled wedges and he told me no... im as confused as ever

You're struggle digging with standard sole wedges vs what?

I'm a high handicapper and the 60 wedge is my favorite/best club... I have the most confidence using my 60 degree wedge than any other in my bag.

Ive struggled with digging standard soled wedges.

I carry a 60* and use it more than I thought I would when I picked it up. I play a course frequently that has several elevated greens. I feel the 60* gives me the best chance to hold those greens on my approach shots if I'm within the correct distance.

This is a topic alright. But in a properly executed full swing, all turf interaction happens AFTER contact with the ball. So, how much should I consider full swing characteristics when I'm more centered around the specialty characteristics of wedges

Most amateurs are not making ball first contact every time.
In ddec's fitting, they explained that both full swing as well as partial swings are used to determine the best wedge for a person.

I do not recommend anyone use a 60 if they have not learned the proper technique of chipping and pitching. It's a club that is seldom used or should be used. I know there are people that will say they are good with them and that's fine. But I would just caution that technique be the main focus.

When my handicap was higher I used a 60* wedge, now I'm not saying my handicap went down because I switched to a lower wedge but I do know it helped contribute to it.

Your right. But my Achilles is my short game. Thats y I was asking

Best way to an improved short game is a lesson and a lot of practice. Will cost about as much as a new wedge, and has a greater chance of lowering your scores than a new club.

I wish I didnt read this thread.

I never considered the 60* being a difficult club to hit properly. Im not saying that I think it's easy, just that I never thought much about it at all.

As kind of a high handicapper, my go to wedge is my 60*. But, now, maybe it shouldn't be.

Im playing this afternoon, and I know, on my first backswing with my 60*, Im going to think of this thread, question myself, and blade a ball into 40 yards over the green.

Im playing this afternoon, and I know, on my first backswing with my 60*, Im going to think of this thread, question myself, and blade a ball into 40 yards over the green.

bend it 59* and your confidence will return since you'll no longer be playing a 60* :alien:

I wish I didnt read this thread.

I never considered the 60* being a difficult club to hit properly. Im not saying that I think it's easy, just that I never thought much about it at all.

As kind of a high handicapper, my go to wedge is my 60*. But, now, maybe it shouldn't be.

Haha I would do the same thing, subliminal demons.

I use my 60* for 1 shot only. As a bogey+ golfer I have other wedges that are more important to improve my game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a high handicapper and the 60 wedge is my favorite/best club... I have the most confidence using my 60 degree wedge than any other in my bag.

^^^ what he said! My 60 is my sand wedge and is the club I hit well consistently.

I'm an 11+ and I play a 62. My second favorite club after driver. Use it for full shots from <100 yds as well as most of my greenside shots excluding sand. I don't think it's a hdcp thing as much as a feel thing for players, but that's just one man's opinion.

I'm an 11+ and I play a 62. My second favorite club after driver. Use it for full shots from <100 yds as well as most of my greenside shots excluding sand. I don't think it's a hdcp thing as much as a feel thing for players, but that's just one man's opinion.
I totally agree with you. It is not a hdcp thing. It is more of a swing flaw or something else that does not allow you to hit the 60 well. I am a 17hdcp and hit my 61 well. I have no issues with that club. If I do happen to hit it wrong, it is usually because i messed up in my swing somewhere.

I don't think it's handicap related, but has more to do with your short-game touch and confidence. If you can use it, game it. If you can't, don't.

I think my handicap was around 35 when I bought a 60*. It became my favorite club really fast, and it still is, but my short game has always been the better part of my game.

Back