Gap wedge different than Sand and Lob?

bavs

Reaction score
Hello,

So my current setup has me using a Wilson Staff PMP 50* gap wedge, and today with some leftover golfsmith credits I picked up a 56* Rtx 2.0 and 60* Rtx 2.0. My question is how many of you have non set gap wedges that don't match your sand and Lob wedge? I see guys on tour do this all the time and am curious if it will play with my mind looking down at something different?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have a CB RTX-3 Gap and two RTX-3 MB Wedges. So they do look/feel different.

To me it is a non-issue, but I am not one that is overly concerned with the top line of the club. It is more of a weight, feel thing for me and they feel great.

It is a personal preference. The bag should be composed of clubs you have confidence in, regardless of the manufacturer.

The Caveat is that if you are a guy that focuses on this stuff, than maybe it will send you squirrelly, only you know!

I use a GW from an old iron set that does not match my current irons or 54* and 58* wedges. When I sold the older Mizuno iron set a few years back, I did not include the GW because I liked it and wanted to keep it. Glad I did.

Hello,

So my current setup has me using a Wilson Staff PMP 50* gap wedge, and today with some leftover golfsmith credits I picked up a 56* Rtx 2.0 and 60* Rtx 2.0. My question is how many of you have non set gap wedges that don't match your sand and Lob wedge? I see guys on tour do this all the time and am curious if it will play with my mind looking down at something different?

depends on how much of a headcase you are haha. It would bother me more looking at my bag from an aesthetics standpoint than my actual performance with the club.

Set AW is 50...wedges are 54 and 58

depends on how much of a headcase you are haha. It would bother me more looking at my bag from an aesthetics standpoint than my actual performance with the club.
They are similar in shape and the pmp spins less than the 2.0 so that's why I decided to try it but I was wondering if others did something similar.

They are similar in shape and the pmp spins less than the 2.0 so that's why I decided to try it but I was wondering if others did something similar.

I've gone matching iron GW before since I full swing my 50* more than partials, and almost never use it close to the green if ever. Didn't have any issues with it there, and honestly it probably helped more than anything. Different pure wedges though no.

I don't think I play a gap wedge that is the same as my sand wedge AND lob wedge. I usually mix and match the wedges.

PW is always from the iron set, tho.

PW is always from the set. Depending on which set of irons I'm gaming,I've gone from gap, sand, and lob matching to all 3 being different (RTX3, Hogan TK-14, Callaway PM grind)

I like having different looking wedges. In particular; I enjoy having one black wedge in the bag. It serves to reinforce the logic behind choosing one over the others and gives each a distinct personality.

I have the SM6 56 and 60 in the jet black and the Sm5 in chrome if that counts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slightly different scenario than the original question:

My PW and GW are from my XR Pro set and I have a 56* MD3 and a 60* PM Grind. Both are black, but have different head shapes. I have a chrome 60* MD2 that I use sometimes and the change of color and head shape doesn't bother me.

Despite what my signature says, my present set-up is all different wedges.

PW: Apex CF16
GW: Cleveland 588 RTG (original) 49°
SW: Cobra Trusty Rusty 55°
LW: Cally PM Grind 60°

Maybe somewhere in my psyche I'd prefer matching wedges because I always try new ones. But I'll play whatever works.

I play 4 wedges that dont match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I play 4 wedges, set PW & GW and 54* & 58* RTX 2 wedges.

Back