Creating a practice schedule help

PizzaBear

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
Anyone got any tips for creating a good practice schedule?

I'm back to college at the start of march so will have less time to just hit balls, so want to have some sort of schedule that will actually effectively help me improve.

So I will have 2 days a week to practice, can give a fair amount of time on those days to

Any ideas/recommendations would be really appreciated

Thanks,
PB

I think it's such a personal thing for anyone. What are you struggling at, what are you trying to improve, etc. It'll be very different between you and me. Having said that I always felt you want to invest time to improve a weakness but also put time into a strength. Keep giving yourself something you can trust when you're under pressure.

Edit to add some specific ideas:
Putting - Drills like the ladder or clock drill. Focus on routine and form and practice those 3-4 ft putts. You get strong/comfortable here it really gives you confidence to go after putts in the 15-20 ft range. Keeps you loose during short game situations too.

Short game - Practice the realistic lies you'd see on the course. I used to practice the basic lies greenside that were a yard or two off the green and always struggled during my rounds. I realized I wasn't preparing myself for actual situations. Give yourself a bunch of really crappy lies, uneven stances, short sided pins, etc. Figure out what you're going to do to give yourself the best chance at an up & down.

#OWN125 - I love this saying. This is where my strength is. And I intend to keep it. Take the time on the range to hit to targets all through 30 to 125 yards. Learn and trust your Pelz swings. Get so good here, it's 3 strokes or better from 125 and in

Full swing - There's a gazillion things you can do here. But one I like is to avoid hitting more than 2 shots with the same club (unless you're working on something very specific) Keep changing, keep doing your routine, keep on your toes like you would on the course

I think it's such a personal thing for anyone. What are you struggling at, what are you trying to improve, etc. It'll be very different between you and me. Having said that I always felt you want to invest time to improve a weakness but also put time into a strength. Keep giving yourself something you can trust when you're under pressure.

I'm sort of ok at everything but everything needs improving too. Only been playing a couple of months

I edited my original post to add some things. Might get your thoughts jogging on what interests you

Anyone got any tips for creating a good practice schedule?

I'm back to college at the start of march so will have less time to just hit balls, so want to have some sort of schedule that will actually effectively help me improve.

So I will have 2 days a week to practice, can give a fair amount of time on those days to

Any ideas/recommendations would be really appreciated

Thanks,
PB

Totally unrelated to your thread, but I have a question. Is your school schedule down under setup up around the seasons like in the U.S.? I.e., head back to school in the fall, get out for summer? So you are just heading back in the fall?

I'm sort of ok at everything but everything needs improving too. Only been playing a couple of months

And just broke 90. :glasses-cool:

Totally unrelated to your thread, but I have a question. Is your school schedule down under setup up around the seasons like in the U.S.? I.e., head back to school in the fall, get out for summer? So you are just heading back in the fall?

Yeah pretty much, I have 2 16 weeks semesters that are over fall and spring mostly

If you think your technique is solid, go play golf on those 2 days. Try to have some minor betting going on to simulate the nerves of competitive golf.

If you think your technique is solid, go play golf on those 2 days. Try to have some minor betting going on to simulate the nerves of competitive golf.

I'll play 2 rounds during the rest of the week, sorry should've included that

I'll play 2 rounds during the rest of the week, sorry should've included that

Still go play. Hit the range if you've got something to change or groove.

2nd time, now just do it consistently!! :D

And only playing a couple months.....I shouldn't hate you, but I'm petty enough to do just that.

Anyway, I'd second the 125 and in model. Be deadly from there and your game will reflect it.

Oh...almost forgot...I now ban you from the "Breaking 100" thread.

And only playing a couple months.....I shouldn't hate you, but I'm petty enough to do just that.

Anyway, I'd second the 125 and in model. Be deadly from there and your game will reflect it.

Oh...almost forgot...I now ban you from the "Breaking 100" thread.
I will get on the 125 model

:( awww ok, I hope to see you in the breaking 90 thread soon

I will get on the 125 model

:( awww ok, I hope to see you in the breaking 90 thread soon

Well, you seem genuinely saddened, so I un-ban you from the "Breaking 100" thread. The seething jealousy, though, is a totally different story.

Well, you seem genuinely saddened, so I un-ban you from the "Breaking 100" thread. The seething jealousy, though, is a totally different story.

It's all just luck, you know the game a lot better than I do

As a feel player, it would be nearly impossible for me to adhere to any structured practice schedule.

I'd of course identify weaknesses and desired areas for improvement. But as to when I'd practice or how I would exactly, I'd do as I, umm... felt, at that particular moment. ?

As a feel player, it would be nearly impossible for me to adhere to any structured practice schedule.

I'd of course identify weaknesses and desired areas for improvement. But as to when I'd practice or how I would exactly, I'd do as I, umm... felt, at that particular moment. ��

Being so new I feel like I really need to practice my strengths as well as my weaknesses :) So just figure it's easier to have some structure to what I'm doing now

And if you have an analytical mind, a structured plan is the way to go. Only, regardless of one's dominant trait or acumen, to whatever value, feel is still a part of the game for all.

So whatever you decide, my only advice is to view whatever plan as perhaps more of a guide than a rigid schedule. Structure will surely realize it's benefit, but so will feel. Sometimes the best practice is simply born from what one feels like doing rather than a dictated schedule. Inspired attention can be greater than dutiful adherence to a predetermined schedule and it just may fend off burnout.

Just like the game of golf offers sweeping variance and unexpected challenges, perhaps our practice methods should invite the same.

As you may infer from my words... I just wing it, in golf and in life. Where I know that more structure would be of great benefit to me, I can't help but think that an incorporated freewheeling approach may help others too. Technique and feel, both important to the game, neither more than the other imho.

Best of luck!

It will be a dynamic plan based on what I'm doing well or badly that's for sure and just to mix things up so I don't get bored

If I've only got an hour or so, especially this time of year, I go putt. I'm just good enough of a putter to be bad at it, I burn a bunch of lips.
When time changes again I'll jump in the practice and spend some time there then move to the chipping area. I should spend more time there than I do but bunker work ain't fun for me. Then over to the range and work on full swings, especially with my long irons and driver. If I'm swinging those well, the rest sorta takes care of itself.

Man, I need to practice more.

I'm in college and I play on the team here so I understand your concern. Classes take up time and golf takes up most of the rest for me. If you're really into getting better you will have to sacrifice social clubs and free time, which at the end of the day isn't so bad because being on a golf course is great :act-up:

With a limited schedule as you say, you need extremely productive practice schedules. Since you say you're OK with everything, I would start by keeping track of every stat for 5 -10 rounds (9 holes is fine). Take a notepad out with you and write down everything that happens after you finish a hole. Fairways, greens, putts, save percentage. If you want to take it to the next level, keep track of where you're missing your shots and what clubs you hit for every shot. After about ten rounds you should begin to notice a pattern in your notes of where your problems are. Once you realize what is giving you trouble, you can work on recreating those scenarios in your practice. This will take time with two day's a week to practice, but it is important to understand your game thoroughly so you can practice with purpose.

If you notice that you are missing a lot of shots right, you can work on your swing to correct that. If you notice that you're chipping is good except when there's a tight lie, you can go find a tight spot of grass in the short game area to practice. If you notice that you really struggle when the wind is in your face, you can work on knock down shots. If you notice that you miss left-to-right putts on the low side most of the time, you can work on the putting green to fix that.

To me, this is the most efficient way to practice because it really exposes your weaknesses so you can work on them. Obviously you need to practice everything consistently to keep your coordination good, but this method should really help you. It turned my game around.

fwiw Im not really seeing such a limitation here. I mean 2 rounds per week plus two other days per week with fair amount of practice time within those two practice days is by no means (vs most people) a limited amount of time at all. Thats a lot more than very many people can put together. I don't really think there is a whole lot of struggle trying to squeeze things in with any sort of schedule. I can understand a schedule and a desire to practice efficiently as possible but just that I don't feel that amount of available time is such that there would be a real concern of how to fit in what. Just saying :)

Back