Callaway XR Pro Hybrid Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Did not see a thread on the Pro version of the hybrid and wanted to throw up a few pictures. Been using this one for the last month and know a lot of people like the smaller headed hybrids.

From Callaway
The next generation of our Forged Hyper Speed Face Cup increases ball speed all across the face so you get distance and forgiveness at every impact location, even on off center hits.

We’ve completely redesigned the head shape to create even more forgiveness and the lowest CG we’ve ever had in a hybrid. That’s what happens when you position more weight lower and around the perimeter of the head like we’ve done here.

Our re-engineered Internal Standing Wave is the ultimate team player. It’s a refined way to increase MOI and still give the face cup the freedom to flex for more ball speed.

Impact-L.jpg

Impact-3-L.jpg

Impact-2-L.jpg

Impact-4-L.jpg

Size Comparison to Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815
IMG_20150320_094026_hdr-L.jpg

IMG_20150320_094108_hdr-L.jpg

Thats a small head. Looks great!

The XR resembles the the XHot Hybrid
The 815 resembles the X2hot Hybrid

At least to me they do

• Admin
The XR resembles the the XHot Hybrid
The 815 resembles the X2hot Hybrid

At least to me they do

The XR Pro is much smaller than that of the XHot.
If you are looking at Pro comparison (not listed), the XR would be closer to X2Hot Pro.

that looks tiny. Size/shape reminds me of the W/S M3 hybrid from last year.

That thing is TINY. If I had my pick, I bet I'd end up with the 815 alpha. I'm not sure I need something as small as the XR Pro profile at that part of my bag.

If it's in line with the X2Hot Pro, that might be the replacement. I love the X2Hot Pro 16* I have now & if this is better I'm intrigued.

Wow. That thing is really small. I like the looks of a smaller profile hybrid, but that thing is tiny!

That sure is quite a different in size.

That is very small, I'm sure there will be a specific type of player who loves it. Reminds me of the Adams Pro offered last year.

So far two things stand out for me.
1. I launch this one rather low compared to what I am used to.
2. I hit this a really long way.

So far two things stand out for me.
1. I launch this one rather low compared to what I am used to.
2. I hit this a really long way.
Lower than x2hot pro? I bet that Project X is a good shaft.

Lower than x2hot pro? I bet that Project X is a good shaft.

It works really well with this head. I played the regular X2Hot, not the Pro so cant comment on ball flight comparisons.

Expanding more on this club, I have been able to swing it a few more times since the session at Carl's where I bought this. This hybrid has some heft but it is pretty evenly distributed. I don't feel the weight of the head during the swing. As odd as this sounds, I really like the thickness of the grip end of the shaft. It was a little thicker than the rest of my clubs, but I liked that width.

One thing I intend to do for now is keep the stock grip on. Assuming it can handle sweat from me, I see no reason to replace the grip. I also don't want to mess with the feel of this club right now as I am still learning it and I clearly like how it feels right now.

It is definitely a tee-only club for me, I have had limited success trying to hit it off the deck. But that is okay since the tee is the reason I bought this. From the grass I have no need to hit anything higher than a 5 iron, so if the hole is more than 200-210 out I will be laying up anyways.

My goodness, I found this little number at my demo day today and I am so impressed. I'm trying to fill my 200 yard gap and was hitting a 23* exactly that. I was a little worried about the very small profile but once I started swinging the club that went away immediately. I hit it great off a tee and could shape it both directions, then off the deck it was just as easy to shape and perhaps 5 yards shorter if at all. I think my favorite part is the flight, just a lovely high flight that is identical every time. The feel off the face was remarkably soft, I don't know what they did but it feels so good and just explodes.

The most curious aspect was that I was swinging the Project X in 5.5 or Regular flex and it was perfect. I really hope to hit it in a 6.0 but would have no qualms pulling the trigger on a 5.5. I think tomorrow I'm going to see if I can find a 6.0, but one way or another I feel that this trigger is getting pulled soon.

Well I did end up pulling the trigger on the 6.0 in 23*. Got it yesterday and had a chance to have a nice range session. It definitely flys lower than the Big Bertha Hybrid but I tend to flight the ball pretty low and it looked similar to what I was used to before the Big Bertha (that bad boy launches a mile high). If you hit a low ball like myself I think this club will perform like you are used to.

I think my favorite part of this club so far is how easy it is to dig it out of tough lies. Its so compact that it just feels like you can go down and pull it out of some very deep rough.

I was playing around with trying to hit different shapes and I think the baby fade is going to be the go to shot. It launches a touch higher and is so easy to repeat. Definitely worth a hit folks, much easier to swing than I anticipated.

I am still working on the best setup for my swing with this. I can hit it more upright like an iron or more sweeping like a wood, but I need to decide which way I want to go with this. It has led to some inconsistent results but there is no denying what happens when I hit a good one. The ball rockets off the club face with a satisfying sharp cracking sound that I like. As an example of the inconsistency I teed off yesterday on one hole and hit a dead push that went OB. I re-teed and hit the next one 240 down the right side of the fairway. That just needs practice, practice I am more than happy to put in.

My hope is this relegates my 2 iron to my third option off the tee within a month, but it's good to know I have that option while I continue to work on this club.

Finally got in the range session that I sorely needed. Been struggling with this going way right off the tee. But never had a good range session where I could see ball flight with this until now. Got the foundation in place for a good swing to work on, and had a lot of great hits after putting in some time. I am still amazed at how the ball flies off the club with an easy swing. It's so nice!

Got this bad boy out for its second round (9 holes). First shot from a parched CA fairway, had 180 yards into the very strong wind, nice mid flight ended up just past pin high about 15 feet from the pin on the fringe. Second chance was playing for position with about 320 left on a par 5, ball was down in the rough and I hit it off the toe and still got 200 yards out of it.

Really happy with how this thing performs, it's just so easy and flies a mile!

Last edited:
Is this club going to be playable out of anything apart from the tee or short grass? Need to determine if I will get any rescuing from poor drives with this club...

Is this club going to be playable out of anything apart from the tee or short grass? Need to determine if I will get any rescuing from poor drives with this club...

I play it out of the rough all the time.

Played my first round with the 18° yesterday only got to use it twice (I have an 18° taylormade udi that steals the show off the tee). The xr was great left myself with 100 yard pitch in on a par 5 ended up with a birdie and then left myself with on the fringe on the next par 5 from 240. So far I'm loving it.

I felt the need to bump this thread up. After the initial honeymoon phase wore off, I struggled with this club for a bit and only recently have I re-found the love. I have the 23* and can't believe the distance I get with this club and it's become a point and shoot weapon. Seriously considering adding the 20* and setting my 5w aside. Anyone else still playing these hybrids?

I just picked up the H4 with Project X 5.5 and all I can say is WOW what a fantastic sound this thing has and launches easily into the sky ! I got in a practice session and I love this club ! Will game it on Wednesday

Back