I'm heading to "Cool Clubs" for a full bag fitting in early March and am wondering...

BigE

Tryin' to get better....
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm heading to "Cool Clubs" for a full bag fitting in early March and am wondering...

everyone's opinion on whether or not I should be upgrading my current equipment? Currently I play Apex irons with a regular flex rifle shaft (6i to A Wedge). I have an XR 5 hybrid, the X2 Hot 4 and 3 hybrids and an X2 Hot 4 Wood. My wedges are a Callaway 56 and 60 degree Mack Daddy II. Driver is a 10.5 degree KZG with an Accra regular flex shaft. I think my swing has changed a bit over the last few years (more vertical) and so as part of the process I want to check length and lie angles of my current clubs. But I know I will also be tempted (and excited about) the prospect of perhaps getting some new clubs. So I was wondering if there are some technology gains in clubs that I should take advantage of? Would it be worth it for me to upgrade my equipment?

I'm thinking about the Callaway Apex CF16 irons and any hybrids/woods that might be recommended. But I'm open to anything. I'm 60 yrs old, in pretty good shape, and approx. a 12 handicap who doesn't try to "work" the ball (I always shoot for straight shots for the most part). I just got a really nice bonus so $$'s (within reason) are not a huge concern. My lifelong golf goal (I didn't start playing golf until my late 30's) is to get to single digit handicap. I want to make sure I have the best equipment available for my skill level to help accomplish that.

I'd also be interested in anyone's experiences with a Cool Clubs fitting? Did you find it to be worthwhile?

What does everyone think?

There has been some improvement across the board in your set...with the same OEM even. The driver in the rest of your OEM choice that is out now though will kick that driver to the curb you have now. Is it enough to spend dollars on, only you can decide that. Getting the fitting alone will help if your swing has changed plus give you piece of mind that what you are playing is good for you. Even if it's just a simple adjustment to lie angle. Like you said though, hitting the shiny will bring on the urge...haha. Enjoy

There are technology improvements in golf clubs every year. If you will see any improvement with newer clubs is hard to say. Will they take you from a 12 to a 9 just because they were fitted....probably not.

Getting fitted with your current clubs could possibly help with dispersion and distance for some unknown dollar amount. The cost benefit will be up to you. Getting your clubs optimized for you is always a good idea.

The bigger question about your handicap goal is what problems do you have with your game and what are you doing to try and correct those issues. Do you have lots of inconsistencies with your current clubs? Distance gaps between clubs? What is your goal with the fitting and why do you hope it will do for you after you are done?

Getting fit and having the right tools to use while working on your game will help. Will new clubs automatically drop your handicap or make you better...nope. Will they help make your miss less of a miss...yes. Will having better dispersion give you the chance at a better score...yes.

I wouldn't limit the decision to what specific iron or hybrid, woods, driver, etc but go in with an open mind and get what works best for you and is in your budget.

There are technology improvements in golf clubs every year. If you will see any improvement with newer clubs is hard to say. Will they take you from a 12 to a 9 just because they were fitted....probably not.

Getting fitted with your current clubs could possibly help with dispersion and distance for some unknown dollar amount. The cost benefit will be up to you. Getting your clubs optimized for you is always a good idea.

The bigger question about your handicap goal is what problems do you have with your game and what are you doing to try and correct those issues. Do you have lots of inconsistencies with your current clubs? Distance gaps between clubs? What is your goal with the fitting and why do you hope it will do for you after you are done?

To answer your questions:
1) My plan to get from a 12 to a 9 is really going to be all about short game this year. I need to practice it a lot more. My golf coach wants me to spend 80% of my practice time on the short game this year. I'd love to try and implement this short game practice routine: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/93/golf/ultimate-practice-routine-992787/
2) I wouldn't say I have lots of inconsistencies with my current clubs. Just what you might expect from a 12 handicap. My distance gaps appear to be ok as far as I can tell.
3) I think my main purpose in the fitting is to make sure the length and lie angles of my clubs match my current swing (my current clubs were statically fit to me back when I was doing a Moe Norman single axis swing). So my main goal is to make sure my current clubs are set up to maximize my current swing. I just thought as long as I was there, if there were clubs that would help me even more - i'd be willing to go for it. We all like to get shiny new toys! :)

Getting fit and having the right tools to use while working on your game will help. Will new clubs automatically drop your handicap or make you better...nope. Will they help make your miss less of a miss...yes. Will having better dispersion give you the chance at a better score...yes.

I wouldn't limit the decision to what specific iron or hybrid, woods, driver, etc but go in with an open mind and get what works best for you and is in your budget.

Agree. I wouldn't expect any new clubs to be a "magic pill" for my game. I'm old enough to know the fallacy of that type of thinking. I think I'm thinking more along the lines of what you have implied here: "every little bit can help". So yes, I will keep an open mind. Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like you are going into the fitting with the right mindset. Yes we all like shiny new toys but most of us would be better applying the money on lessons instead. You said you have a coach what does he think about the fit of your clubs?

Have fun. Since you want to work on short game. See if they can fit you to the correct bounce for your wedges. Fitting wedges is probably the best thing you can do for your ahortgame

Sounds like you are going into the fitting with the right mindset. Yes we all like shiny new toys but most of us would be better applying the money on lessons instead. You said you have a coach what does he think about the fit of your clubs?

Have fun. Since you want to work on short game. See if they can fit you to the correct bounce for your wedges. Fitting wedges is probably the best thing you can do for your ahortgame

Agreed. There are so many options for wedges these days you're better of just going to get fitted as Bounce is related to your swing but also the courses you play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a cool clubs iron fitting down in Scottsdale and really enjoyed the experience. At the time I was playing Ping G15's and wanted to get into anything else that didn't look so big. It was time to make the change as I had been taking lessons and gotten better. I knew I was going to walk out with Apex irons and then I didn't. Talking with the fitter we went through a ton of heads and finally settled on the Mizuno JPX EZ's. I really had a choice between KBS C taper lights and recoils and went with the C tapers. But the great thing is that I tried things I never knew existed until I found what worked and had data to show for it. I took their spec sheet and went straight to another golf shop (better price) to order my irons.

You have to ask questions and you have to have an open mind on irons and shafts. Try it, if you don't like it after a swing or two just move on to the next one as you won't run out of combinations. I can't speak to driver, woods, or wedges as I didn't get fit into those during my time there.

Agree. I wouldn't expect any new clubs to be a "magic pill" for my game. I'm old enough to know the fallacy of that type of thinking. I think I'm thinking more along the lines of what you have implied here: "every little bit can help". So yes, I will keep an open mind. Thanks for the feedback.

You are on the right path. Enjoy the fitting, good luck and will be looking for the updates on how it goes and what you end up with

Unfortunately, my golf coach is in England. So our lessons/conversations are by email, video, or Skype - so he can't see my clubs up close.

Thanks for the comment on the wedges. I hadn't thought about that and might've overlooked their importance during the fitting. Now I'll make sure to give them equal time at the fitting (they told me to plan on 4+ hours to get through my bag). Can't wait!

You are on the right path. Enjoy the fitting, good luck and will be looking for the updates on how it goes and what you end up with

Thanks! I'm scheduled for the bag fitting analysis on the afternoon of March 10th (they told me to plan on 4+ hours). Even if I don't get new clubs - it sounds like it should be quite the experience!

I'll fill everyone in on what happens. I can't wait to see what happens.

Thanks! I'm scheduled for the bag fitting analysis on the afternoon of March 10th (they told me to plan on 4+ hours). Even if I don't get new clubs - it sounds like it should be quite the experience!

I'll fill everyone in on what happens. I can't wait to see what happens.

That's a long time so make sure not to swing yourself out and having been thru a 2 hour full bag minus putter it's fun and a good experience.

I've never been there for a club fitting so I can't tell you about it.

However, trust the fitter, you may not think you need to upgrade, but they could surprise you and put you in something great that you weren't expecting, go in with an open mind for sure.

I finally did my complete golf bag fitting, from Driver to Putter, in Toronto yesterday at a "Modern Golf" location (they're loosely associated with "Cool Clubs").
Here are some pics of the place: https://moderngolf.ca/custom-fitting/
I spent 4+ hours with them (John) evaluating every club in my bag from Driver to Putter. I had a blast.
They really liked my current clubs (Callaway Apex Irons with Rifle Regular Graphite Shafts and Callaway X2 Hot Hybrids and 4 Wood all also with graphite shafts).
They were honest enough to tell me that any upgrade to them would have been very expensive with minimal gains.
I appreciated the fact they never pressured me to buy anything and were honest about how well my current clubs fit me.
The only thing we did do - is bend my irons 1 degree more upright (my 6 iron now has a 63 degree lie angle) and I got all my clubs regripped.
The only purchase I made was the new M2 Taylor Made Driver (10.5 degrees loft):
https://www.golfalot.com/equipment-reviews/taylormade-m2-2017-driver-d-type-review-3713.aspx
I picked up a consistent gain of about 10-15+ yds in distance AND with a tighter dispersion vs my current driver (a 12 degree KZG HF driver). For me, the M2 also clearly outperformed the Callaway Epic. Interesting.
John noted how “smooth” and "consistent" a swing I had (I mentioned the Brian Sparks video that had inspired me and he pulled it up on his computer to watch. He liked it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eURbeXGkeCU
He also loved my Bobby Grace “Let’s Face It” Sidesaddle putter. I was making everything on their putting green and with a pure roll. I was the first sidesaddle putter he’d ever met (I was giving him lessons on how to sidesaddle putt...he decided he needed to get a few sidesaddle putters into their inventory for future customer fittings!).
I rolled my "Let's Face It" sidesaddle putter that I had traded for a few weeks ago against a few of my other sidesaddle putters and the Bobby Grace was clearly the winner. Ok, so that will be in the bag come spring!
The whole experience was fun and it's reassuring to know all my clubs fit me to a tee!
I'd higly recommend the experience for anyone who wants to make sure their clubs are a good fit for their swing.
BigE

Back