TaylorMade R15 Driver Preview

So today, I finally got a chance to hit my R15 430 at the range. Its a 9.5* head, ordered from DD with the 757 stiff.

My current driver is the SLDR 460 9.5 with the UST Elements Chrome 6F4T that was built & spined by Doug Mael. Longest driver I have ever own. The SLDR head is the earlier version with the embossed SLDR logo on the sole. It's also been weight changed with a 10gm weight and screwed in sole plate.

Sorry no LM stats, can't afford a $2.5K LM. The range I use goes up a hill (Hansen Dam) and the 250 marker up the hill is the baseline. I usually land between 225 and 250 up the hill, sometimes over the chain link fence (YES!). Also, the hill serves as a nice backdrop to determine ball flight and you can see what the ball does as it hit the hill.

3 shafts were tested. 2 of the shafts were "standard" length while the Rogue is 1/2" shorter than the others:
Elements Chrome 6F4T Tour stiff, Aldila Rogue 110 MSI stiff (1/2" short of standard) and Speeder 757 stiff.

• 757 - this is a MAJOR surprise. I can't believe how good this "stock" shaft is in the R15 and also in the SLDR. Tight, very tight in the dispersion. Hard to hook, lower launch of all 3. Great, great feel - has the most kick of the 3. The latter feel was a surprise. This could be close.
  • Rogue - very disappointing. I hit more hooks with this shaft than the others. Did not like the feel. It does "sound" the loudest of all the shaft in the SLDR head at impact with the R15 and SLDR. Medium launch of the three, more draw/hook spin. Good looking but essentially, to me, it just does not feel or performed with my swing. I can't see all the buzz about this shaft, frankly.
  • Elements Chrome - my bread butter shaft. Higher launch of the 3. Does not hook but it goes the opposite with high cuts. Massive, massive carry with this shaft. I almost feel I have to set this to "lower" setting to launch lower but BOY this shaft really carries the ball at the -1 below Standard.I think the 757 is tighter in dispersion than the EC but I personally like this shaft. Worst shot is a high push/baby slice, hard to hook.

I need to work some more on figuring out this 430 head and shaft combo and its between the Speeder and EC. I do have a 60 stiff Ahina x5ct as well which I forgot to bring. Ahina was THE shaft in my SLDR but it got kicked out by the EC because it had more draw trajectory than the EC.

Now for those curious SLDR 460 vs R15 430 - both are 9.5. I find the SLDR launch lower but the R15 430 launch higher and CARRIES more and it's about 4-6 yards longer. Whoopee-doo but I take it. Also, the R15 430 is just as forgiving or a tad more so than the SLDR. Amazing head but I know I will tweak those twin weights, if and when they come up with replacement. Just a tad weightier than I like, imho.

I'll bag the R15 - I just need to figure out which shaft is the better combo with the right trajectory and carry...757 vs EC...maybe Ahina. Tomorrow, I'll hit some more. I've been out of golf for 4 weeks with a muscle/sprain injury so today was my 2nd day back hitting golf balls again, I am kinda pleasantly surprise by how well this driver test session went, personally. It was a warm 75* today here in LA @ Hansen Dam.

Hope this helps someone sitting on the fence whether to go R15 430 or not. I would :bananadance:

..I also want to add - KUDOS toTaylormade for sticking with RBZ Stage 2/SLDR adapters and not introduce a brand new adapter in the R15.

I (and probably many of you TM owners) have some expensive (not ludicrously expensive like the real 125 MSI Rogue) shafts and I am SO glad that I can still use them from SLDR.

One of the reasons I gave up on Cobra was that they messed up their my-Fly adapters when they went from 8 to 12 or whatever. Completely ticked me off and I had a spare adapter and looking for a shaft for the ACP. Forgetaboutit.

Yes, yes, one day TM will update their adapters as they have from R11 to Stage 2/SLDR, its given but in the mean time I will enjoy my "old" shafts in a brand new head.

Yes.

Finally played a round on Sunday@Woodley Lakes here in LA. Local muni. I just decided to play and drove down, put my name down and did some chips and putting for 15 mins until I got to the tee with a 3some. It only took me 7 holes to warm up. LOL. Yeah.

I decided to shaft the R15 430 with the Elements Chrome (EC). One thing with the EC is that this shaft RARELY hooks for me. Most of my bad shot is a push and if I do "hook", its like a short, high draw on the left rough. God I luv shafts like this. The R15 head had the weights set to: 1 on "N" and 1 on the heel for the "ra" of Draw. Loft was left as standard, based on 2 driver range days before this.

On the 8th, I ripped one. MY GOD. This was a Par 5 playing around 480 for the day. Left with 161 to the back pin. I don't think I ever ripped one this far. Trajectory was perfect, higher launch and the ball flat lined a ton, hit the fairway and rolled. Usually, I have 195 to 200 in for this Par 5. Holy Moly.

11th is a short Par 4, plays 325. Ripped another one and had about a 20 yard chip. Now, this hole I have driven the green with my G20 Blueboard but anytime I get one up at this range, its a great drive.

The rest of the holes were meh. Got too crazy with the driver, one was really bad luck on what looked like a bombed one (fairway bunker) and I started pushing the drives. 18th was the last great drive, probably 290 but I got ZERO roll because of the rouge on the right. Ball didn't draw enough to make it back to the fairway. My 3some all hit great drives, less carry but their rolls carried their balls to mine. I was smashing past them all day.

My summary:
1. Its honeymoon but I AM IMPRESSED with the head. EC makes a great combo, just need to turn the head more at impact. Worse is a push on the right and high draw on the left for "hook".

2. Sound is much better than SLDR. More "lively". Sound is feel.

3. MORE forgiving than my SLDR. I have no doubt. This is a 430 head YET it killed my 460 when the shots were bad.

4. One thing - this head needs to be aimed more carefully than the SLDR at setup. You want to square it at impact. While visually, the face is about the same as the 460, the R15 will reward you with a good aim. No loosey-goosey. Now, when I said this is more forgiving, I've hit this on the toe, heel and low and this ball still gets out there, less side spin than the SLDR for sure.

5. Definitely HIGHER launch than the SLDR. Then she levels out and flies.

I am not going back to the SLDR. I've never played a 430 head until the R15 and IT IS DA BOMB...:clapp:

So I played my another round with the R15 with the Elements Chrome on Sunday at Woodley Lakes. Sun was out, the Saturday rain was gone but the fairway was soft, not much roll. It was a day of all carry. Hit 9 of 13 holes that I pulled the driver. Worst shot was a high draw - just off the left fairway, I'm telling you, its hard to hook this combo. Worst ball right is a long push and I only had 135 in. Not bad.

Last time I posted here, I had problems turning the head over but I worked on the driver over the week and now hitting, straight to baby draws. Yah. Except Hole 1, but I didn't warm up.

Now, those who know the 10th hole at Woodley, this is the #1 hole. This is a Par 4 that plays like a Par 5 because of the dogleg. Use to be a mean hole with the high reeds and the lake in front of you but they have since cut the reeds. I think that reduced a lot of heart attacks on that tee, lol.

This hole calls for a long fade off the tee. Those who DARE to hit to the right of the 2 palms better have balls...a BIG LONG ball to carry the trees otherwise, you have no shot. Plus, in front of your foursome, you look like a fool if you don't pull it off. A real test for those who think they can hit it...and if you do, you're coming in with a short iron. Those who bail left, you're coming in 3+ wood at over 200+ yards.

Smoked it.

Absolutely smoked it to the fairway with 132 left to the back right pin and dropped it pin high 16 ft away. Everyone in the foursome had 200+ in. PW and dropped it to 16 ft pin high, with the flag to the back right. It's an elevated green too. Didn't birdie, lipped out but any Par on this hole from the black tee is a birdie.

R15 is the REAL DEAL. I have the SLDR and I know I hit that well, its long but this 430 R15 is LONGER. And the best deal - its way more forgiving - amazing for a 430CC head vs 460 in the SLDR. Hit low bullet and watch the ball really fly.

I suspect that slot in the bottom is the real deal compression channel. I use to smoke the old Nike VR driver with their compression channel but this is better.

I am convinced. Next round, I am going to try out the 757 in place of the Elements Chrome...but that will have to wait, going snowboarding this long weekend.

C'mon - where are the other R15 reviews? Am I the only one playing golf here with the R15?!?!?

ps one tip - tee the ball normal. Unlike the SLDR that likes the ball lower, R15 launch much nicer when teed regular (ala 1/2 ball over the top of the crown). No need to tee it low unless you want low bullets.

Last edited:
There is another review thread for the TP.
My thoughts have been scattered in this one as well.

So I played my another round with the R15 with the Elements Chrome on Sunday at Woodley Lakes. Sun was out, the Saturday rain was gone but the fairway was soft, not much roll. It was a day of all carry. Hit 9 of 13 holes that I pulled the driver. Worst shot was a high draw - just off the left fairway, I'm telling you, its hard to hook this combo. Worst ball right is a long push and I only had 135 in. Not bad.

Last time I posted here, I had problems turning the head over but I worked on the driver over the week and now hitting, straight to baby draws. Yah. Except Hole 1, but I didn't warm up.

Now, those who know the 10th hole at Woodley, this is the #1 hole. This is a Par 4 that plays like a Par 5 because of the dogleg. Use to be a mean hole with the high reeds and the lake in front of you but they have since cut the reeds. I think that reduced a lot of heart attacks on that tee, lol.

This hole calls for a long fade off the tee. Those who DARE to hit to the right of the 2 palms better have balls...a BIG LONG ball to carry the trees otherwise, you have no shot. Plus, in front of your foursome, you look like a fool if you don't pull it off. A real test for those who think they can hit it...and if you do, you're coming in with a short iron. Those who bail left, you're coming in 3+ wood at over 200+ yards.

Smoked it.

Absolutely smoked it to the fairway with 132 left to the back right pin and dropped it pin high 16 ft away. Everyone in the foursome had 200+ in. PW and dropped it to 16 ft pin high, with the flag to the back right. It's an elevated green too. Didn't birdie, lipped out but any Par on this hole from the black tee is a birdie.

R15 is the REAL DEAL. I have the SLDR and I know I hit that well, its long but this 430 R15 is LONGER. And the best deal - its way more forgiving - amazing for a 430CC head vs 460 in the SLDR. Hit low bullet and watch the ball really fly.

I suspect that slot in the bottom is the real deal compression channel. I use to smoke the old Nike VR driver with their compression channel but this is better.

I am convinced. Next round, I am going to try out the 757 in place of the Elements Chrome...but that will have to wait, going snowboarding this long weekend.

C'mon - where are the other R15 reviews? Am I the only one playing golf here with the R15?!?!?

ps one tip - tee the ball normal. Unlike the SLDR that likes the ball lower, R15 launch much nicer when teed regular (ala 1/2 ball over the top of the crown). No need to tee it low unless you want low bullets.
Great thoughts SwingBlues, like JB said there's convo going on in the THP review thread now with Canadan who will be spending time with the TP for the homepage review. Might throw your thoughts in there too!

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67438
TaylorMade R15 TP Driver - THP Review

which would be more forgiving? the 460 or 430 head?>

I took a stab at hitting the R15 today at our local Dick's. It was a 9.5 460 with the stock stiff Speeder Evolution shaft. I'm now in serious ponder mode! Great feel and it was 9 yards longer, carry, than any of the other 4 drivers I hit on the monitor. I'll need to find the right shaft to help get the spin down and improve the dispersion, but, overall, I'm quite interested!
You must have hit those other drives all over the place.

I hit a 9.5* 460 R15 today with the Speeder Stiff, and I must say, I loved it. Had great sound, decent dispersion, and decent distance. It was set to the max forgiveness setting, but probably better that it was. I wasn't striking it too well at the store, but even with that I was still getting pretty normal distances. If I wanted to drop full price on a driver right now, this would probably be it. Not a very in depth review, but I very much enjoyed my short time with it.

So today, I finally got a chance to hit my R15 430 at the range. Its a 9.5* head, ordered from DD with the 757 stiff.

My current driver is the SLDR 460 9.5 with the UST Elements Chrome 6F4T that was built & spined by Doug Mael. Longest driver I have ever own. The SLDR head is the earlier version with the embossed SLDR logo on the sole. It's also been weight changed with a 10gm weight and screwed in sole plate.

Sorry no LM stats, can't afford a $2.5K LM. The range I use goes up a hill (Hansen Dam) and the 250 marker up the hill is the baseline. I usually land between 225 and 250 up the hill, sometimes over the chain link fence (YES!). Also, the hill serves as a nice backdrop to determine ball flight and you can see what the ball does as it hit the hill.

3 shafts were tested. 2 of the shafts were "standard" length while the Rogue is 1/2" shorter than the others:
Elements Chrome 6F4T Tour stiff, Aldila Rogue 110 MSI stiff (1/2" short of standard) and Speeder 757 stiff.

• 757 - this is a MAJOR surprise. I can't believe how good this "stock" shaft is in the R15 and also in the SLDR. Tight, very tight in the dispersion. Hard to hook, lower launch of all 3. Great, great feel - has the most kick of the 3. The latter feel was a surprise. This could be close.
  • Rogue - very disappointing. I hit more hooks with this shaft than the others. Did not like the feel. It does "sound" the loudest of all the shaft in the SLDR head at impact with the R15 and SLDR. Medium launch of the three, more draw/hook spin. Good looking but essentially, to me, it just does not feel or performed with my swing. I can't see all the buzz about this shaft, frankly.
  • Elements Chrome - my bread butter shaft. Higher launch of the 3. Does not hook but it goes the opposite with high cuts. Massive, massive carry with this shaft. I almost feel I have to set this to "lower" setting to launch lower but BOY this shaft really carries the ball at the -1 below Standard.I think the 757 is tighter in dispersion than the EC but I personally like this shaft. Worst shot is a high push/baby slice, hard to hook.

I need to work some more on figuring out this 430 head and shaft combo and its between the Speeder and EC. I do have a 60 stiff Ahina x5ct as well which I forgot to bring. Ahina was THE shaft in my SLDR but it got kicked out by the EC because it had more draw trajectory than the EC.

Now for those curious SLDR 460 vs R15 430 - both are 9.5. I find the SLDR launch lower but the R15 430 launch higher and CARRIES more and it's about 4-6 yards longer. Whoopee-doo but I take it. Also, the R15 430 is just as forgiving or a tad more so than the SLDR. Amazing head but I know I will tweak those twin weights, if and when they come up with replacement. Just a tad weightier than I like, imho.

I'll bag the R15 - I just need to figure out which shaft is the better combo with the right trajectory and carry...757 vs EC...maybe Ahina. Tomorrow, I'll hit some more. I've been out of golf for 4 weeks with a muscle/sprain injury so today was my 2nd day back hitting golf balls again, I am kinda pleasantly surprise by how well this driver test session went, personally. It was a warm 75* today here in LA @ Hansen Dam.

Hope this helps someone sitting on the fence whether to go R15 430 or not. I would :bananadance:

I love your review, SB. I find you putting the EC in the R15 very interesting. I recently purchased the Wilson Staff D200 irons (SGI irons) with the EC's in them and love the feel and trajectory! The EC's are solid shafts. I'm going to purchase the R15 shortly with the stock 757 but will definitely try putting the UST EC's in them.

Keep us posted as you compare both shafts in the R15. I'm curious as to what you find as you play both more often. Thanks.

Do I see two sliding weights?
In the sldr there was a single sliding weight that weighed 20g, in the r15 there are two 10g weights , not much of a change there. Also when you move the sliding weights to opposite ends of the club head it moves the cg higher and back in the club head which contradicts their most low and forward cg.

In the sldr there was a single sliding weight that weighed 20g, in the r15 there are two 10g weights , not much of a change there. Also when you move the sliding weights to opposite ends of the club head it moves the cg higher and back in the club head which contradicts their most low and forward cg.

Other than the bolded part, none of this is accurate?
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=24188

Last edited:
Other than the bolded part, none of this is accurate?
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=24188
My bad I meant 12.5 but yes the R15 is basically the same as the sldr, I mean look at the numbers in yardage and everything else they are basically the same as the sldr and yes the stuff about the weights on opposite perimeters of the club head changing the cg is true research it and try it if u can I know someone who has worked in the golf business for about 30 years and 10 of those with taylormade and tries all golf clubs every year and tells me about them

Did you try the 460 CC head in the R15? I did and i kept leaving it to the right. I tried the 430 head and I was able to hit baby draws again. My spin was lower and my distance was longer. I played with it for 9 rounds in Florida last week and I was getting 265 on soft fairways and 290 on normal fairways. I also had the SLDR prior to this and I love the change.

Smoked it.

Had my first ever full outdoor fitting using trackman on Monday. I am a low launch, low spin player, especially with a driver. I have a negative attack angle with the Driver which I need to improve, but am an oddity in that despite this I still have very low spin, so I tend to hit knuckle balls. I tried every new offering in their highest degree offered and was still not getting as much launch as me and the fitter wanted. There were a few that were close (Big Bertha V which I currently play and last years G25 in 12 degree). He then decided to hand me an SLDR in 14 degrees that he cranked up to 15 or 16 degrees. It was like a light went off. Gained quite a bit of launch and carry and my spin was still just above 2k. We then did the same thing with the R15 and I had very similar amazing results. These are 2 Drivers I absolutely never would have tried since I know how low spin they are and very much thought they would be a terrible fit for me as a result. However I guess if you crank up enough loft it can work. Shows the benefit of a fitting for sure.

I do tend to hit the "center" or thereabouts of the face most of the time so I did not find these drivers to be that punishing, I think some of that is due to how much loft I am using. However I have read tons of threads, reviews etc about how unforgiving especially the SLDR is/was so once I make a purchase it will be interesting to see my real world experience. Have not decided whether I am going to get the SLDR ($189 now) or the R15, way more expensive. But its definitely going to be 1 of the 2. My numbers with the 2 were almost identical. However I believe the R15 is supposed to be a little more forgiving.

Picked up a tour issue R15 430 with 10* measured loft and 1* open face angle. Sent it to Continental Golf and had it painted gloss black. Paired it with a Crazy Boron SX shaft I had pulled from a JDM driver and this thing is absolutely money. Towering soft draws and I've been as consistent or moreso than any driver I've ever had thus far. I

t's as long but probably not longer than the best of the best drivers I've had before from what I can tell. I find it plenty forgiving across the face but at the same time with this club I just don't seem to miss very many which means the combo just suits me well. Feel and sound are outstanding. I have the weights in the center but split maybe a half inch apart.

You know this calls for pics.

Out of town and took a Taylormade rental set out yesterday. The R15 was in the bag and it was a pleasant surprise to hit. Setting it as max stability I was finding a forgiving head that was giving me some pretty solid distance. Really enjoyed the flighting, just a rope that hangs in the air and rolls out on landing. Could see this being a great Texas driver! The club is not the SLDR by any means, I think they got this right. I'm playing again today before coming home and will be taking it out again.

I just took the plunge on the r15 driver and 3w today. I went in just for a 3w and hit a bunch of options but kept coming back to the r15. I had been eying the driver as well so I hit that and it felt amazing and result were good on the monitor. Off the shelf 10.5 stiff set up with weights on the max stability setting, it was Better than my r1 ever was and Better than the covert 2.0 is now, so I went ahead with it. I will have to play with the setting a bit to see what works best but on the max stability setting I didn't have one shot that really did anything crazy. Most were dead straight or a little bit of a draw.

I love that they went back to black. I wish the 3w was black but I'll deal with it.

Playing the first round of the year Sunday so I'll post the results and more thoughts later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks fantastic, they did a great job.

That shaft looks awesome...

How much are the tour issue R15 430 going for? And whats the difference? The tour issue SLDRs had the toe screw, what does the tour issue R15 have?

Awesome looking job they did, always been a fan of TM woods.

First round today with the r15.....the initial verdict is she's a keeper.

I measured every drive and long of 255 and an average of 230. Only hit 50% of fairways but for the first time out this year and a new driver that's not too shabby.

I would say the forgiveness is better than my R1 and way better than the covert 2.0. I tend to miss low on the face and this was certainly forgiving on those misses. I hit a couple low line drives that got out over 215. Heel and to misses are good too. While my cover was forgiving on whether a toe miss would slice out, the distance was always suffering. The R15 was forgiving in distance and side spin so there wasn't anything flying off the radar.

Definitely looking forward to a great year off the tees with this!

Nice. Always nice hitting fairways and getting the distance you want out of a driver. I think a lot of guys are putting this one to the test (and many others) in MN next month and people are looking forward to feedback.

Posted this on the r15 TP thread..

Had my first "real" range session today. Prior to this, I was buying crap balls and shooting them in my field. So range is open!!! Haha

i must say....the 430 with adilia 110 rogue is pure awesome!!!!
ok first off, there was a strong wind 30-50 km straight in the face. Cold too.
The R15 430 ate up he wind no problem!!! I was hitting the back of the netting....250 yrds +.....in the wind!!!
oh my god this club is the real deal. The sound off it is a real high ting too.
As for the dispersion....the shots were tight.....and dead straight....no slice...which is my thing.
To be honest my.fordt 5 swings were worm burners. I took a rest and thought about t*t and remembered a "trick" to driving. Hahahah long story. After that though....kapow!!!! All back of the range netting. Some guys beside me were curious about the r15. I let hem hit a few.

Also, if you are wondering about the r15 3 and 5 woods...they are even more easier to hit.

The 3 wood was going far as the driver!!

just for kicks I had a tour green stuff driver I had just bought driver length. I slapped it on the 3 wood. And OMG I dontnknownif its he shaft...or shaft length or combo of both but man the 3 wood is PURE GRAVY!!

Thank you Taylormade!!!!

ps: I am so happy I upgraded from

r1/sldr
r11 4 wood
r11 irons

I for one can see the difference in the technology...like night and day.

Back