SquirrelyDave

Allegedly....
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 22.7
It's quiet in here this morning while Team White and Team Green head out to RTJ and the east coast getting ready for work, and the rest of country is still sleeping....

So I ask, why do you play golf?

I've played on and off since I was in high school and worked at the local muni to pay for my greens fees. I sucked then, and I'm still pretty terrible yet as soon as it gets into early spring my thoughts turn to the game I love.

For me it's about two things, peace and quiet and that knowledge that I can do better, even if it's just one shot that does exactly what I wanted it to. That quest for improvement and that feeling when it just "works". I love the serenity of a quiet golf course, just me and my playing partners and a nice landscape. It's like my happy place.

Why do you golf?

I play because I like the challenge and discipline it takes to maintains your cool on the course. I enjoy planning out the shots and executing. It's a great way for me to get away from everything, get some exercise, and some sunshine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I golf because I needed something to fill the void left by football (soccer), I stopped playing about 3 years ago and whilst I played before, it was only ever a handful of times a year.

I always enjoyed the game but I played football 5 times a week so there was never any time for it.

But boy, do I love golf. For me, playing with friends and family, being outside, testing myself (and my temperament). Ultimately now, my main reason is to get better - I want to be the best player that I can be.

I golf because I needed something to fill the void left by football (soccer), I stopped playing about 3 years ago and whilst I played before, it was only ever a handful of times a year.

I always enjoyed the game but I played football 5 times a week so there was never any time for it.

But boy, do I love golf. For me, playing with friends and family, being outside, testing myself (and my temperament). Ultimately now, my main reason is to get better - I want to be the best player that I can be.

Same here but hockey not football

I love the competition, with myself!!

I love the challenge and the optimism when starting a new round thinking that this could be my best round ever. I love that you can never master this game and you can always try to get better. I also love just getting away and only focusing on your game while out on the course.

Same answer as a few others above - doc said no more hockey or running for me with my knee, and I've always had a sport to play to help keep in shape and have fun. So I turned to golf.

My father was a rabid golfer when I was younger, as were both of my grandfathers. It may sound funny, but a part of me felt like I was carrying on a family tradition by picking up the game. Some of my best memories of my grandfather on my mother's side were of times I spent on the course with him and my dad before he passed away. I guess when I'm out there, walking solo on a beautiful day out in nature, I feel close to him.

A combination of things - the feeling of a well struck iron shot, the escape from everyday struggles, fresh air, the social aspect, this community, the want to improve and have that round where every facet finally clicks.

Bonding with my grandpa and dad and hopefully my kids. I love the game and the feeling you get when you pipe a drive down the middle of the fairway or drain a 25 foot putt.

I like the challenge of knowing I'll never be as good as I want to be and can constantly chase improvement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

That desire to improves seems pretty consistent from everyone. I don't pretend to understand, but it's pretty interesting I think.

Who else?

Because

To enjoy being outside and socializing with playing partners but to challenge myself to get better

Golf for me started out as a bonding opportunity with my Dad, he's getting a little long in the tooth and we still get out a couple time a year but not like we used to. Every round I play without him, I still have memories of us both learning the game on a janky par 3 course playing with hand me down clubs and "borrowed" range balls. Thanks for the thread, I'm going to call the old man and get him out for 9 tomorrow.

Golf for me started out as a bonding opportunity with my Dad, he's getting a little long in the tooth and we still get out a couple time a year but not like we used to. Every round I play without him, I still have memories of us both learning the game on a janky par 3 course playing with hand me down clubs and "borrowed" range balls. Thanks for the thread, I'm going to call the old man and get him out for 9 tomorrow.

Sounds like a great plan!

I golf because I like to torture myself. That's what most of my rounds result in, self torture.

I started golfing because I just thought that's what you did when you got older. My Aunts, Uncles and Grandpa went out just about every weekend and golfed together. I figured it was a way to spend time with them and do something fun.

That reminds me, I think I need to get grandpa out this season. His seasons are running out and we need to get out again. It's been too long.

For me its the challenge. A "journey to better".

I worked my butt off to reach the pinnacle of my career. Once I reached Captain at a major airline, it became about climbing the pay scales and steps.
At around 40, I reached my career goals. Subconsciously I needed a new challenge. I was golfing in Hawaii and doing terribly. Something inside of me triggered an instant addiction to this game. For the past 5 years I've worked crazy hard to improve. I think that's why I started to play. I'm a motivated person and goal orientated. I'll always try to improve and the beauty in golf is that you can never master it.
One downside of my overly determined personality is that sometimes I don't stop to enjoy the journey while pursuing my goals. I'm working to enjoy it more. I'm really starting to enjoy the people and the courses I play, along with the feeling of a well struck shot.
It's addicting. All of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Five hours of goofing off with my friends.

One of the biggest things for me is to escape. I like to play and relax. I also like the opportunity to meet new people. I actually really hate playing alone. I almost would rather not play at all if by myself.

Needed something to replace softball. Traveled the country playing softball, now get to hopefully travel the country to play golf.

No better way to enjoy the outdoors, get a little exercise, get a little color, socialize and challenge yourself constantly to get better.
No worse feeling than being cooped up inside when the weather is beautiful.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Back