3 Iron and 3 Hybrid?

MCGolfTM

Reaction score
Handicap
Too redundant? I'm thinking of only playing 50/56 Wedges. So leave on open spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That depends a lot on what you use each of them for.

That depends a lot on what you use each of them for.

Agreed, and the gapping at the top of your bag.

If I had to pick I would pick a hybrid though, utility irons are an option too

I hit the 4 about 200. And the hybrid about 220-230. I'm not sure how the 3 would coming in but I will usually hit the hybrid out of rough if needed or off the fairway. I won't hit the 4 wood too much out of the rough as it gets swallowed up. I hit the 4 wood about 240-50

Thinking of going 2 Wedges as I don't do much with a lob wedge any more and my wedge game isn't precise enough for all those wedges I feel.

I hit the 4 about 200. And the hybrid about 220-230. I'm not sure how the 3 would coming in but I will usually hit the hybrid out of rough if needed or off the fairway. I won't hit the 4 wood too much out of the rough as it gets swallowed up. I hit the 4 wood about 240-50

Doesn't sound like you have much of a gap that needs to be filled by the 3 iron. Do you have an aversion to hitting the 3 hybrid out of the fairway?

Is your sig accurate? If you're committed to taking out the wedge I would say any of the options 3i another hybrid or a utility iron would work for you

Thinking of going 2 Wedges as I don't do much with a lob wedge any more and my wedge game isn't precise enough for all those wedges I feel.

Big potential gap between 50 and 56. Most pros don't hit a 3i anymore.

Is your sig accurate? If you're committed to taking out the wedge I would say any of the options 3i another hybrid or a utility iron would work for you

I haven't updated the Wedges, but the rest of the bag is the correct.

Doesn't sound like you have much of a gap that needs to be filled by the 3 iron. Do you have an aversion to hitting the 3 hybrid out of the fairway?

No I don't have a problem with hitting it in the fairway if the yardage is right.

Big potential gap between 50 and 56. Most pros don't hit a 3i anymore.

Would you suggest 50/54? And then no lob wedge if I don't use it?

Would you suggest 50/54? And then no lob wedge if I don't use it?

I have no issue with the no lob wedge. For wedge setup it really depends on how you use your wedges. 6* gap could leave you with 15 yard gap or more depending on if you full swing both wedges. If you can cover that with partial wedge shots from your pw or 50 I saw go for it but i would test the wedge to see what your gap is.

Something else to consider is you have roughly 7* gap between pw and 50*. You could go 48/52/56

What yardage are you trying to fill at the top of the bag?

I have no issue with the no lob wedge. For wedge setup it really depends on how you use your wedges. 6* gap could leave you with 15 yard gap or more depending on if you full swing both wedges. If you can cover that with partial wedge shots from your pw or 50 I saw go for it but i would test the wedge to see what your gap is.

Something else to consider is you have roughly 7* gap between pw and 50*. You could go 48/52/56

What yardage are you trying to fill at the top of the bag?

My PW is 45*, so maybe go 50/54?

Not sure if the gap between 200 and 220-230 for the 4i and 3H is too much or just asking in general if should go 3i or 3h

My PW is 45*, so maybe go 50/54?

Not sure if the gap between 200 and 220-230 for the 4i and 3H is too much or just asking in general if should go 3i or 3h

That's a 20 yd gap. I personally don't like going more than 15 yds but try to keep between 10-12. My guess is the 3i will go shorter than the 3h so if trying to fill that gap I would look at a 5w or heavenwood maybe. If you are ok with the gap there is nothing against only carrying 13 clubs

That's a 20 yd gap. I personally don't like going more than 15 yds but try to keep between 10-12. My guess is the 3i will go shorter than the 3h so if trying to fill that gap I would look at a 5w or heavenwood maybe. If you are ok with the gap there is nothing against only carrying 13 clubs

I didn't want to carry too many woods that's why I went with M2 3H and M2 3HL fairway which is basically a 4 wood. Then got the 4 iron but am afraid I won't hit a 3 iron well enough.

I didn't want to carry too many woods that's why I went with M2 3H and M2 3HL fairway which is basically a 4 wood. Then got the 4 iron but am afraid I won't hit a 3 iron well enough.

Curious why the opposition to carrying to many woods? 3i aren't easy to hit. Unless you need to fill a gap I would say just go with 13 clubs. Maybe do some testing to see of there is a hybrid or maybe utility iron that fills the spot at the top.

Curious why the opposition to carrying to many woods? 3i aren't easy to hit. Unless you need to fill a gap I would say just go with 13 clubs. Maybe do some testing to see of there is a hybrid or maybe utility iron that fills the spot at the top.

I've used the warm weather this weekend to experiment myself, and ended up ordering a 7W. My 3i is awesome when I hit it off a tee but from the fairway I just don't hit it consistently enough. I haven't gotten along great with hybrids either so I'm hoping a high loft adjustable wood does what I need.

I've used the warm weather this weekend to experiment myself, and ended up ordering a 7W. My 3i is awesome when I hit it off a tee but from the fairway I just don't hit it consistently enough. I haven't gotten along great with hybrids either so I'm hoping a high loft adjustable wood does what I need.

Nice. I'm the same with a 3i even tried a utility iron but was no where consistent with it. The apex hybrid and now the Titleist 816 h1 were the only hybrids I've found good consistent success with.

What 7w did you end up with?

I used to play an X2Hot 4 wood and 7 wood and it was great for yardages but ended up adding in a 3H of same model. I got a M2 3HL now so I'm thinking that a 3H and 5HL (7 wood) wouldn't fit the gaps right with a 4 iron

I used to play an X2Hot 4 wood and 7 wood and it was great for yardages but ended up adding in a 3H of same model. I got a M2 3HL now so I'm thinking that a 3H and 5HL (7 wood) wouldn't fit the gaps right with a 4 iron

Wouldn't rule it out. I've tried to gap based purely on lofts at the top and bottom of my bag with varying results. Now I test most before deciding and if they are adjustable it makes it even easier.

Good point

Based upon everything you've said, I think your game would be best served by taking the money you were going to pour into a 3 iron and get some quality chipping and pitching lessons. I know that isn't what you had in mind, but wedge play is a huge factor in scoring. You have plenty of distance and no gaps at the top of your bag, so based on what you've said this is really where your game would benefit.

Based upon everything you've said, I think your game would be best served by taking the money you were going to pour into a 3 iron and get some quality chipping and pitching lessons. I know that isn't what you had in mind, but wedge play is a huge factor in scoring. You have plenty of distance and no gaps at the top of your bag, so based on what you've said this is really where your game would benefit.

Yeah I agree. That gap should only really matter on a par 5 where I don't need to be on early if I can't reach. Scoring is definitely necessary and I need a better wedge game too.

How about a 4 hybrid instead? I bet you have the occasional 200 yard shot out of the rough. A 4 hybrid is better than a 4 iron. And you can still use the 4 iron off the tee or fairway. Just thought.

Back