Is Spieth Who Everyone Hoped Rickie Was?

Golf Ghost

Reaction score
Rickie came on tour and was suppose to be the next American star. Great collegiate career and good finishes in his first couple of PGA starts. As amazing as Rickie is as an ambassador of the game and has a great fan/athlete relationship, he never really broke through on the course and won like some expected.

Fast forward 3-4 years and Jordan Spieth comes on, earns his card with a win, and now has more professional wins than Rickie, including a major.

This is not a knock on Rickie, but has Spieth became the face of American golf that everyone was hoping Rickie was going to be?

By "everyone" do you mean sponsors?

Honestly : with Fowler's talents , I would say his career is kinda a failure to this point. Very similar to Sergio. Unlimited talent but little to show for it

jordan has the whole package

I think he is too humble for his own good. Now don't get me wrong, I like it and find it kind of refreshing for his generation. But in the world we live in people want more of the attitude and swagger Fowler brings to the table. Oh and in case you forgot, I found out Spieth is from Texas while watching the broadcast today.

I would say yes. Ricki seemed to have so much hype coming out of college and can't really recall any for Jordan. Jordan's record so far speaks for himself.

Spieth has definitely left Rickie in his rear view. His shorter career has simply seen more success. They both seem like quality individuals and hope for nothing but the best for both.

Rickie was a hype machine from day 1 from his Sponsors, and has done practically nothing. Spieth seems nice and humble, going out and doing work.

Spieth doesnt seem to have that "fire" to his personality, but as the wins start to mount, I bet we see a bit more.

I like him. Im a fan.

Rickie came on tour and was suppose to be the next American star. Great collegiate career and good finishes in his first couple of PGA starts. As amazing as Rickie is as an ambassador of the game and has a great fan/athlete relationship, he never really broke through on the course and won like some expected.

Fast forward 3-4 years and Jordan Spieth comes on, earns his card with a win, and now has more professional wins than Rickie, including a major.

This is not a knock on Rickie, but has Spieth became the face of American golf that everyone was hoping Rickie was going to be?

Why does it have to be one or the other? Both Rickie and Jordan are young and both are going to have great careers, what I'm excited is about is the fact that both are Americans. The future of American Golf in the Post-Tiger/Phil Era looks very bright.

Dax

I think Jordan is his own man and fits into his own space on tour. Rickie has his place, as he should. I kmow people will lump American golf on his shoulders and I think that is wrong. He is good, really good. He plays like he doesn't realize it's suppose to be hard. I hope he never loses that humble edge and continues to be himself. I like his attitude on the course and want him to be the best he can be and become a guy they talk about and compare others to.

I don't think rickie has failed. He didn't hype himself, others did. He will win, not a lot and that is what was meant to be. Im good with that because the tour needs his spark on sunday when he makes a mini run. He will get his day because he is good and I think he wants it. But he is not Jordan and Jordan is not rickie. They both have very differnt roles on tour.

Honestly : with Fowler's talents , I would say his career is kinda a failure to this point. Very similar to Sergio. Unlimited talent but little to show for it

I agree with the Sergio comparison. But Fowler has years ahead of him and he doesn't have Sergio's bad attitude. Sergio is just a sad case all around.

Now let's see if DJ can step up.

Spieth has gone from the 809th ranked player in the world with no status on the PGA tour to the Master's Champion and #2 in the world in just over 2 and a half years.

He has left Rickie in his dust.

Maybe the golf gods do not favor Rickie because of his silly flat billed hats. :bulgy-eyes:

Spieth has been amazing, but let's see how things pan out in the long run. Even he said he's got to quit relying on his putter to save him and that will only take you so far in the PGA. It was good enough for this weekend though. I looking forward to watching him.

I would say yes. Ricki seemed to have so much hype coming out of college and can't really recall any for Jordan. Jordan's record so far speaks for himself.
That's because he dropped out after his freshman year to go pro. He was a member of the Texas national championship team, but other than that there's nothing to his resume. Well except for masters winner and trend setter!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I only read the title. Absolutely Imo. Just look back on this forum in the UA signs Speith thread or the ricky vs rory thread. Fowler was hyped to be Speith only with louder clothes.

Last edited:
Rickie is hype, Spieth is a STAR.

They are both young, Rickie is only what 25? Jimmy Walker didn't hit his stride until his 30s and the same with Snedecker, and that list goes on. Speith is on an amazing run, but those runs can leave as quickly as they came, just ask Luke Donald, Martin Kaymer, or Snedecker.

All I can say is watch out for American Golf these next few years, with Fowler, Reed, Spieth, DJ, Henley, and the list goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like Rickie, yes he hasn't been stellar but it will come. Just like Sergio he will shine soon enough.

Fowler's day will come, and in the meantime, he will continue to be a positive role model for the kids. Spieth is just the real deal and is out there to win. He seems to have the drive that Fowler lacks. I think it will kick in hard for Rickie in the coming years and he will show us a lot of great golf as will Spieth. Like people are saying, they fill different roles and are both great for American golf.

Golf is a game, a game to be played. Jordan went out and played the game against the course and did not worry about anyone or anything else. I liked Rickie from the get go and still do. I think Rickie should simply play the game like he can. Its very simple, Hit the fairway, hit the green, make the putt. That was the only thought Jordan had. Every one out there can hit the ball, putting is what makes champs. If you cant putt, you cant play as the old adage goes. Jordan hit a lot of greens
and made a lot of putts like champs are supposed to do. We will have the pleasure of seeing if Rickie can perform in the arena.

Spieth is Spieth & Fowler is Fowler, they play differently in the media hoopla. There's a good YOUNG core in the making here. Future Ryder cups are going to be calling these guys.

Spoiler
Did you hear Spieth is from texas. Learn something new everyday.

That is the funny thing, we are comparing Spieth and Rickie to Tiger and Rory. Most golfers don't hit their stride until much later, so to say Rickie has been a disappointment is ludicrous. The guy was top 5 in all 4 majors at what, 24 years old? He has started rough this season but came back to finish tied for 12th (if I am reading the leaderboard right) at the Masters, so that is pretty damn impressive to me.

My guess he is he wins some tourneys the next few years, and Spieth improves in a lot of areas the next year or so.

They are both young, Rickie is only what 25? Jimmy Walker didn't hit his stride until his 30s and the same with Snedecker, and that list goes on. Speith is on an amazing run, but those runs can leave as quickly as they came, just ask Luke Donald, Martin Kaymer, or Snedecker.

All I can say is watch out for American Golf these next few years, with Fowler, Reed, Spieth, DJ, Henley, and the list goes on.

I like both but, Jordan seems to be "all golf," while Rickie is "also golfs." Nothing wrong with that, however.

I agree.

I think Rickie as a golfer has been a little disappointing so far, last year he placed top 5 in all majors and so far this year he has had a cold start, I know he's working with Butch now and that should pay dividends eventually but time will tell. As a face for the tour he's been excellent, he's sporty, trendy, and just California cool which the tour needs to bring in some younger golfers.

Jordan is just different, he's a better golfer and marches to a different drummer

For those saying Fowler has not done anything, he just barely missed his 5th straight top 5 in a major. Had 4 in a row and this week almost pulled it off again. I know we live in a short memory era, but that is darn impressive. He does not have the wins, but frankly as Jordan said himself, he is 1-2 lucky shots from not having any either. Hole out from bunker and 30 ft putt from being winless.

I think Spieth has the better swing of the two, and is the more complete player, but I think both have solid futures.

Back