Preferring long irons over hybrids

Mash

Reaction score
There’s been a huge shift towards hybrids over the last decade. We’ve all heard about and have seen the advantages when it comes to launch and ball flight, so there’s no denying the fact that it’s a great club.

As for me, I don’t get along with my hybrid. While I can put a good hit on it off the tee, I just can’t get a decent hit from the fairway or the rough. I see my playing partners launch one great shot after another with it, while I thin it, fat it, hook it, and slice it. You name it, I can do it. Except getting it to fly of the sweetspot, that is.

I’m seriously considering dropping it in favour of a 2i or a 3i, especially since my long irons are getting better and better.

More people having the same issue with hybrids?

I have always had long irons in my bag so I feel comfortable with my current set, but now that I am changing irons (I have ordered 5-PW) I will be looking for something to fill the gap so will be trying hybrids to see how they work for me. If they work then I will probably add a hybrid, but if they don't then I will get the 4i to the same specs as the rest of the set

I have never met a hybrid that I liked. They just hook too much on me. Recently went to a utility iron option and so far the results are much better than hybrids and a little better than long irons for me.

I can hit FW and hybo...I just prefer the miss of a utility iron. You should check out the Callaway UT or Srixon. Outstanding clubs.

It took me awhile, but I'm finally getting comfortable with my 3H. Launches so much higher than any 3i I've ever used.

I also didn't like a hybrid. I play a 3 and 4 iron and much prefer that. I hit the ball really high and my long irons are more versatile IMHO.

I can hit FW and hybo...I just prefer the miss of a utility iron. You should check out the Callaway UT or Srixon. Outstanding clubs.

Callaway UT is a great option and so is the Srixon. I've never like hybrids even though I've bought several including an Adams Pro and a X2 Hot Pro. I carried a Titleist utility for 7 years and before that I carried Mizuno Fli Hi utility irons. Now I've gotten rid of those because I hit both my XR Pro 5 and 4 irons over 200 yards. I can also control the trajectory of my XRP long irons better than any hybrid. I'm back to the same bag configuration as when I started 37 years ago: 10 irons, 2 fairway woods, and a driver.

Last edited:
I was having issues with the 3 hybrid, usually with pull-hooks. After making some tweaks to my swing based on some advice from Freddie, it really helped out the hybrid as well.

I can't say that I get a big launch angle increase off the deck over the 3 iron, but I definitely get more distance with the hybrid right now.

Have you thought about a utility iron maybe? Bigger head, more forgiving, but in an iron shape.

~Rock

i went to a 4h and 3h a few years ago. i had a love hate with them. I liked having a 4i for hitting different types of shots especially when in trouble or needed to keep it low.

when i switched to the z545 i went back to the 4i and love it. its easy to hit and launch. like some others who have switched to the utility iron i am in the ponder mode for one as well for my 3i.

I don't get along with hybrids, either. I had one that I killed, but like an idiot, I tried to "upgrade." Yeah....NOPE. Last year I found an 18* Callaway X Utility Prototype at a demo day at my club. I absolutely love it. I use it more as a driving iron or from the fairway when I would've used a hybrid in the past. I'd suggest trying to find one if you can. They look hard to hit, but it's really pretty east to launch.

I also have a hard time hitting hybrids well, but hit long irons the same as I hit mid irons. I have both the Apex 3i and 4i and also the full set of Apex UT (18*, 21*, 24*). I actually prefer the Apex to the UT, but am considering keeping a UT 18* in the bag for hitting off the tee.

No hybrids for me. I have an 18° Apex UT, and have thought about getting another one in 21° to fill the gap between it and my 3i. The top of my bag would go driver, UT, UT, 3i.

No hybrids for me. I have an 18° Apex UT, and have thought about getting another one in 21° to fill the gap between it and my 3i. The top of my bag would go driver, UT, UT, 3i.
Similar here and won't go back any time soon.

Driver 18UT-21UT-24UT-4I

I like hybrids, but the biggest reason I dont game one is for punch shots. I use my 4 iron fairly often because my course has a lot of trees and low limbs.

I have never met a hybrid that I liked. They just hook too much on me. Recently went to a utility iron option and so far the results are much better than hybrids and a little better than long irons for me.
I'm really interested in the utility irons. Unfortunately there's no shop in the country that sells left handed ones, nor is there a second-hand market so I can get one for a bargain just to try. I really like to get a couple of hits with them before I decide on buying a new one online from the US or the UK. Next time I’m in either of them I’ll definitely try to pop in a golf store to check them out, because I can’t see a downside on them so far.

I love my 3 hybrid and I would never go back to a 3 iron. 4 hybrid I'm still up in the air about though as I love hitting 4 iron off the tee. I switch it up every now and then depending on course length. I enjoy hybrids though, and I think if you find the right ones to fit you, they are stupid easy to hit. Obviously you can still miss big with them, but that's all user error, not the club.

I've tried to like hybrids as well and just can't find a passion for them like my friends have, I can hit them and most of the time hit them well but they are just a little too high and too ugly for me. I know one day I'll need the help as I age but for now I'll stick with irons.

I've only had hybrids, as I've only owned one set of clubs and those were included. For a while, I couldn't hit any good shot, so they sat in my bag. Yesterday, I was at the driving range and had a bit of a revelation in that I was not allowing the hybrids to lie correctly and as a result I was not set up correctly at address. Tool only 8 years to figure that one out :beat-up:

I had issues when I first started using them but I heard something that changed everything....."hit your hybrids like you would hit your 7i"

Boom - game changer right there. Most people swing it like a fw - off the front foot, swinging up at it, etc.

Put it in the middle of your stance and swing down in it like a 7i. I guarantee that will fix your consistency issues and you will begin to reap the benefits of hybrids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried to like hybrids as well and just can't find a passion for them like my friends have, I can hit them and most of the time hit them well but they are just a little too high and too ugly for me. I know one day I'll need the help as I age but for now I'll stick with irons.

Have you tried any driving/utility irons?

Like most others have said, a utility iron is great. I'm currently gaming the X Utility Prototype 21 & 24 degree... They've been playing distances like a 2 and 3 iron for me. The X Utilities are similar to a hybrid for me in that I still struggle to not hook them, so it might not be the answer for you.

I've also hit the Apex UT (18, 21, & 24) at Golfsmith. On the monitor the 18 was getting distances comparable to my 4 wood, and the 21/24 clubs were great long iron replacements. I would have bought them all if the manager at Golfsmith didn't try to rip me off with my trade in clubs. The Apex UTs were absolutely awesome to hit; less hybrid-like than the X Utlities IMO and much more consistent for me. No hook issues, but this was only on the simulator.

The Apex long irons are great to, but I don't think you'll find lower than a 3 iron. I love my 4 iron and am actively looking for a 3 iron to try out before I drop a wad of cash on the more expensive UTs.

I go back and forth on this, but currently carry both hybrids and a utility iron. I am picky about hybrids and am drawn to utility irons, but I see the benefits of both. The Apex UT is the easiest utility iron I have hit and if I can get my hands on an 18* with a Recoil F3 and see similar results with a big distance gain, I would likely replace one of my hybrids with it. But I will likely always have a 3h in the bag.

I was never able to hit a 3 iron until I start to game the RSi 2 irons. Most hybrids are hook machines to me. So I'm glad this 3 iron worked out.
Although, I tried the Adams DHY in 18 degrees... it was really nice. Easier to hit than a 3 iron and didn't hook for me. Maybe I'll put it in my bag.

I actually have dude I'm in ponder mode on the new TM driving iron . .

The UDI definitely looks slick. I'm in lust with my Apex UT. Probably going to steal Scott's Srixon at Kinderlou when he isn't looking and try it out.

Back