Callaway XR Pro vs. Srixon 545 : A view of how they match up against each other.

golfdawg

Reaction score
Handicap
This will be a ongoing review over the next two months or so. I was in search of my next long term set, as I played my Epons for a number of years before one season with the Adams CB3s. I have had the ability to be high single digits, but to be 100% honest my game is in the upper teens right now.

Little history, I have played Mizuno, Taylormade, Callaway, Titleist, Bridgestone, Cobra and Epon just name a few, I have no real brand loyalty.

The Srixon 545s I bought sight unseen when a set came up on the bay in my specs (+1/2 inch, standard, KBS tour stiff) about 6 months ago. I am still learning with them as I have not had as much time really practicing and dialing them in as I would like, that is mainly due to a new baby in the house.

Callaway XR Pro, I actually got to hit the 7 iron on three occasions, and was impressed with the looks, distance in a simulator, and feel was VERY good for a cast club. So with globalgolf doing a trade in I cleaned out my golf closet and got this set in my specs(like above), with the stock stiff shaft, as I wanted to see how the 90 gram Tour V would do.

Now on to my view and comparison between the two.

Looks – They are significantly different enough to fit several wants , but alike enough to work for me. Callaway is shorter blade length, by about 1/6 of a inch, it’s corners are also more rounded, but when looking closer the size or thickness in the top lines are just about the same, they are very similar in overall appearance. I would describe the Srixons as a medical instrument meant to perform heart surgery, and the Callaways more of a soft paint brush meant to paint a Picasso. They both look great behind the ball, while I would give a slight nod to the Srixons from the backside, or as you see them in the bag.

Feel/Sound – This is so subjective it’s very hard, but I will do my best in putting down my thoughts. I will start out and say if you like a softer, forged like feel then the Srixon outpace the Callaways by a small margin. If you like a strong powerful feel, but also know where you hit the ball on the club face then both will work. The Callaways are the best feeling cast club I have ever swung, they are powerful, and send the ball screaming for its momma, while the Srixons are a little more gentle and fool the ball in promising it won’t be so hard on it next time.

Performance – This again is all based on my game and how I affect the ball with my swing, which right now my game rusty. I took out the PW, 8, and 6 of both sets yesterday, and about 100 balls, of which I tried 10 balls with each, alternating. I was so bad with both 6 irons, I am not going to even put either in the overall view on performance.I am usually very good with my irons down to my 5 iron, with the 4 iron showing positive signs when I do my part so i was surprised to see what i was doing with both 6 irons. With what I could see with my naked eye, I would say distance is very close to even, but again so hard to really see a difference unless it’s great than say 10 yards. These irons are matched spec wise about as exact as you can get, outside of the shaft weights. Ball flight was the one big difference, and I would say the XR pros are very much a strong mid flight for me, powerful and they just go, lot of pop to them. The 545s have a mid-high flight, and seem to have more spin as they should, nice rise to the zenith then a drop. The Callaways seemed to get up, flatten, then drop, so to very different flights but both getting to the intended target for me.

Side note: Turf interaction – Much as been mentioned about the 545s and its v-sole, and there is some merit here, I am not sure how it does it, but I know when a swing is fat, but the 545s still carry through the ball, almost like you are hitting off a mat. The XR Pros though are no slouch here, the sole is thick enough to prevent some digging, but not so big you feel like you can’t get through them on some tight lies, it’s a nice blend that will be playable in most situations.

Forgiveness: I am going to hold off on this part until i get a lot more swings with both sets.

I will have what I hope to be 5-6 practice sessions, and 3-4 rounds under my belt when I decide which one works best for my game. I will keep my observations going on this thread.

Last edited:
Good writeup.
Question. Wouldnt the 545s be closer in size and comparison to Apex? As you mentioned, the XR Pros are quite a bit smaller in size.

Good writeup.
Question. Wouldnt the 545s be closer in size and comparison to Apex? As you mentioned, the XR Pros are quite a bit smaller in size.

They would i am sure, but for me these are the two sets i own, they are also current sets in which a lot is being said about, so i thought i could put some info out there comparing them. I feel the same type player could fit into either of these sets as they both bring a lot of performance to the table.

Good writeup.

I haven't compared to the XR Pros, only the X2Hot Pros, but to me it looked like the 545 sits sort of right between the two. Apex was a bit bigger, but it could also be the difference in shape playing tricks on my eyes as well. All 3 looked good behind the ball, but I'm not super picky when it comes to iron shape.

The next few weeks, and 3 rounds planed on a weekend trip to Charleston at the end of the month should go a long way in this comparison

I haven't compared to the XR Pros, only the X2Hot Pros, but to me it looked like the 545 sits sort of right between the two. Apex was a bit bigger, but it could also be the difference in shape playing tricks on my eyes as well. All 3 looked good behind the ball, but I'm not super picky when it comes to iron shape.

Quoting myself to take back what I said. Apex-XR Pro-545. V Sole on the 545 is wider, XR is a bit thinner. I think the more curved head made the Apex appear a bit larger to me when I swung it.

I'm going to follow along here as I'm quite interested in both sets. A bit torn right now in what way to really lean.

I'm going to follow along here as I'm quite interested in both sets. A bit torn right now in what way to really lean.
Southern Hills is having a Callaway demo day in the next month or so. I'll keep you posted so that you can hit the XR's again.

That's the thing i really don't think you can go wrong with either, one thing i am finding out is the lighter shaft of the XR pro may not be the best fit for me as far as feeling and weight of the club. My swing fault is casting/flipping, so with the XR pro i really have to concentrate on keeping my lag/angle on the way down. The normal KBS tour V at 110 grams vs 90 may have been the better option.

Southern Hills is having a Callaway demo day in the next month or so. I'll keep you posted so that you can hit the XR's again.
Yes! Please do. I'll take some vaca time for that one.

That's the thing i really don't think you can go wrong with either, one thing i am finding out is the lighter shaft of the XR pro may not be the best fit for me as far as feeling and weight of the club. My swing fault is casting/flipping, so with the XR pro i really have to concentrate on keeping my lag/angle on the way down. The normal KBS tour V at 110 grams vs 90 may have been the better option.
I was hitting the Srixons with the Nippon NS Pro 950 and it was amazing! It actually kind of surprised me. Swingweight was definitely up there, but maybe that's what I need. :shrug:

Well so far it's just too close to call by range time only, but this week i am headed to Charleston, SC for 4 rounds. I will be playing two rounds with each set so i should be able to give some pretty good feedback on these. First two rounds will be Srixons, as those have been with me for 6 months or so, and i have a few rounds with them, so little easier to bounce back, then i should be able to give the XR pros two good rounds with things going well enough to switch over.

Look forward to hear your on course results

Well at last minute I decided to go all in and use the XR pros for all 4 rounds. I am going to start off and say, my game is in dire straits , all phases need work(serious work), and there were points I was wondering why I was even on the course. I held these dire feelings for the first three rounds, and the start of the fourth round, then on hole 7 the final day I said what the heck and went from what I feel is a very two plane swing to something a little more simple(one plane-ish), and had a “ah-ha” moment.

My “ah-ha” moment was a 140 yard approach shot, pulled a 9 iron, which I expected to be short because it was death over the back, and all my irons have been weak this week. Well as I am over the ball I say what the heck, take it back inside, make a nice turn then turn through and I feel nothing, and smile because it’s been a while since I felt that “nothing”. Best iron of the week at this point and was not even close, a 3-5 yard baby draw that landed about 5 yards behind the pin, and this was with a slight breeze into us.

I go on to keep this swing the rest of the round, and while my driver remained horrid I did not have to worry about my short game because I made every green, or was just barely off the rest of the way in except 17 which i will explain in a bit.

Overall I really like the XR pros, and when flushed I can’t tell much difference between them and the Srixon 545s, I have a long way to go, and I am thinking my 545s are about a degree or two too upright, but I will work on that I hope in the next few weeks.

I had one great iron shot with the 4 iron after a horrible drive on #17, which was a 410 yard par 4. I was 200 out, ball below my feet sitting on some leaves, palms trees along the same side, and a tree in front of me. I had to play a 200 yard draw, right of the palm tree and under a tree, and I did not hesitate to try it with the XR pro at this juncture after about 10 holes of some great iron play. I ended up pin high, about 10 feet right of the green, and chipped in for birdie.

The XR pros are a great set of irons, I like the stock shaft for the most part but not sure on the PW and AW, as I saw some ballooning with those two irons, and it seems I would lose some pop if I hit them a little too high on the face. I would say the sweet spot on the XR pros are just a bit lower than the 545s, but again that really helped me on some very thin shots.

I am planning on devoting 15-20 hours of practice and maybe a few lessons before I step on the course again, but those last 10-11 holes or so helped me hold on to some hope.

Round 1 was a 96 (53 front / back 43)
Round 2 was a 101 (56 front/back 55)
Round 3 was a 98 (51 front /back 47)
Round 4 was a 87 (48 front / Back 39)

Looks like you have found a new friend in those XR Pros Matt. I am enjoying your posts.

Looks like you have found a new friend in those XR Pros Matt. I am enjoying your posts.

Well I have promised myself to get in 10-15 practice hours before I play another round. I need to get Some consistency in my game before I make to many full time changes.

Well I have promised myself to get in 10-15 practice hours before I play another round. I need to get Some consistency in my game before I make to many full time changes.
Any updates

Been a long time, 2015 was not a good year for golf, new baby in the house who turns one this month pretty much ate up any extra time. I only played one more round all year after the 4 round golf trip i spoke about at the start of this review. I hope 2016 to get a little more time, and i don't plan on any golf purchases for now since the 545's and XR pro's hardly have any play on them.

i play the 545's now and still have my regular XR's that i play on occasion. I know my XR's aren't the "pro's" but what you really notice between these sets is the swing weight. The 545's are heavier and i love it. I play much purer with the 545's. The XR's are longer by about 5 years using the same club but only by 5 yrds or less. I love my 545's and wouldn't trade them for anything right now. IMO they are a step above.

i play the 545's now and still have my regular XR's that i play on occasion. I know my XR's aren't the "pro's" but what you really notice between these sets is the swing weight. The 545's are heavier and i love it. I play much purer with the 545's. The XR's are longer by about 5 years using the same club but only by 5 yrds or less. I love my 545's and wouldn't trade them for anything right now. IMO they are a step above.

I agree i think the 545 would see a large range of players, would love to try it in a few different shafts.

I preferred the look of the 545's and I hit the 545's much better than the XRp when i was testing them.

I preferred the look of the 545's and I hit the 545's much better than the XRp when i was testing them.
Unfortunately for most of us the only way to test the Srixon Clubs is to buy a set. Which is a hell of an expensive way to demo a club.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yeah i was super lucky that my local shop had them to swing on the monitor. They even managed to order the GW for me... Thats almost unheard of... .
I just preffered the weight more and the numbers were great... The feel is great and a good level of forgivness too... Buttery when middled....

For me the Tour V fit my swing much better than the stock KBS 90 shaft. I often get to compare the two shafts because a couple of my buddies have the XR Pro's with the KBS 90 shaft and I really don't like the combo.

Please, can you share more pics between z545 and xr pro?

Thanks!

XR pro are here to stay for me, think i will need to put the 545s up for sale, or trade in

Back