World #1 and the revolving door

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
We all know how dominant Tiger was and he swapped places with Duval, Els, Norman and Singh early in his career then held onto the top spot from June 2005 til Oct 2010. Since that time 8 golfers to hold the top spot with 23 different changes. If DJ holds on to win today he will be the 9th to hold the spot.

how long does he maintain the top spot and with the depth of the fields on tour today will there be anyone who can hold onto the spot for at least 1 year?

i think he holds onto until at least Augusta. I don't think we see anyone in the next 2-3 years hold it for a year or more

Not more than a month or two. Two much competition at the top.

I think if anyone has the potential to grab number one and hold it for a year it's DJ and a healthy Rory. They seem to be the only two that can bring their B-game to a PGA Event and still consistently top 5 or 10.

With Rory out at the moment I think DJ will hold number one for the duration of 2017 after he snags it today.

It's hard to say bc if Day does well in the next tourney he will move back.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I think if anyone has the potential to grab number one and hold it for a year it's DJ and a healthy Rory. They seem to be the only two that can bring their B-game to a PGA Event and still consistently top 5 or 10.

With Rory out at the moment I think DJ will hold number one for the duration of 2017 after he snags it today.

I agree they are probably the two who have the game to do it. I think if Spieth can find his 2015 game he could do it but it seems like his putting is really streaky right now and we know that how his putter goes his game goes.

I agree they are probably the two who have the game to do it. I think if Spieth can find his 2015 game he could do it but it seems like his putting is really streaky right now and we know that how his putter goes his game goes.
I feel like Spieth, Day, Rory, DJ, Scott and a couple others all have the ability when they are on. But only DJ and Rory have a good enough B game to keep themselves at the top.

Time will tell I suppose.

DJ can do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Through the US Open!!

I feel like Spieth, Day, Rory, DJ, Scott and a couple others all have the ability when they are on. But only DJ and Rory have a good enough B game to keep themselves at the top.

Time will tell I suppose.

Totally agree. The b game is something I was talking to a couple guys about recently and how it seems like most guys today need their a game to win/compete where tiger and some others could get it done with b and c game.

I'm not sure their is a player who can hold #1 for a year.

The competition is ridiculous right now and you'd have to stay healthy first and bring your Game in every tournament to hold on to #1. If their is any flutter in your game for any surmountable time you can't hold on.

Tiger did it by creating a giant gap in points between him and everyone else plus playing really good. I think the competition now won't let that gap in points happen.

I'm not sure their is a player who can hold #1 for a year.

The competition is ridiculous right now and you'd have to stay healthy first and bring your Game in every tournament to hold on to #1. If their is any flutter in your game for any surmountable time you can't hold on.

Tiger did it by creating a giant gap in points between him and everyone else plus playing really good. I think the competition now won't let that gap in points happen.

Day had it for almost a year but yeah it will take someone running away with it to build a gap that can hold up for awhile and with everyone not always playing same events the potential to rotate is there

I think if anyone can it's DJ. Talent wise he's the best and now that he seems to have straightened himself out he's been pretty dominant for awhile already.

They were talking about how it was almost unfair how on a long par 4 today DJ had 146 left and Perez and Tringale both had over 200.

World #1 and the revolving door

I don't think he holds it too long honestly.

But could someone hold it for a year? Sure. Didn't Spieth hold it for a while?

Day's run was almost a year until today. Spieth had it for 20 weeks during his last run. Prior to that it was a back and forth with a change every week or two. Rory had it for 54 weeks before that

I think DJ can hold onto it for a while. I haven't looked at the world golf rankings to see where Rory or Spieth are, but those two immediately come to mind as the ones who can take that spot. For some reason Day doesn't look comfortable right now.

I think DJ can hold onto it for a while. I haven't looked at the world golf rankings to see where Rory or Spieth are, but those two immediately come to mind as the ones who can take that spot. For some reason Day doesn't look comfortable right now.

Rory was 2nd(47 pts back) and Spieth 6th (59'points back) before today.

Rory was 2nd(47 pts back) and Spieth 6th (59'points back) before today.

With the crazy calculations I think they need like two wins and a major to overtake him, lol

I think he holds it til at least augusta if not more into summer

With the crazy calculations I think they need like two wins and a major to overtake him, lol

Yeah it's crazy calculations. Listening to Steve Sands DJ isn't motivated by being #1 so I doubt pressure of begin there will get to him like it has others

The OWGR ranking is over a 2 year period. Right now you've got three players with a points average of between 9-10 and three others with a points average of between 8-9. Those are the only players who have a reasonable change to move in or out of the number 1 ranking this year. Looking at them one at a time.

DJ just took over #1. He had the best year of all the contenders last year, but also had a pretty good year in 2015. So, he'll retain all those points from last year, but have some good finishes in 2015 that are going to roll off. Thus he needs to have a year at least as good as 2015 to remain at #1.

Jason had a really good run from 2H 2015 through the first part of 2016. He hasn't been playing that well the past few months, which is why he slipped from #1. He's still up there though because the tournaments rolling off the back end are from early 2015 before he got rolling. However, if his play doesn't pick up his ranking is going to really drop the second half of this year.

Rory? It's all about his health. He obviously can't score points when he's injured. With rib injuries and golf it's hard to say how long. Right now he's losing points in chunks being injured. But in 2015 he had the famous soccer injury in the summer and obviously didn't generate any points when out then. So if Rory can get healthy soon he has the possibly of adding significantly to his average point total from mid summer to early fall when anything he does will be a net positive.

Henrik's been bouncing between #3 and #7 in the world. I just don't see him trending outside that range. Especially since he was at his #3 high water mark in early 2015. Some of those good finishes that got him there are going to be rolling off.

Jordan had the best 2015 of anybody on this list. That means he has to have a monster 2017 just to maintain where he is on points average. Based upon what we've seen in early 2017, he might do just that. But will it be enough?

Hideki Matsuyama is the guy nobody mentioned and probably has one of the best chances to reach the number 1 spot this year. At the beginning of 2016 he was 19th ranked, now he's 5th. Literally all his big ranking points tournaments happened in 2016 or early this year, so every time he has a good finish this year, he will increase his points average. I'd be surprised if he isn't in the top 3 by year's end and #1 is definitely possible.

Spieth could take it from DJ if he plays well leading up to, and at the Masters. Rory is still the mystery for me, I look forward to him making things even more interesting.

I like the mix we are in now with 5-6 players having a legitimate shot at grabbing the top spot. It sets up potential for some great golf this year, especially if it comes down to a head to head on a random Sunday for these guys, with not only a tournament, but a #1 on the line.
This is a much better situation than one player being in an over dominance situation. I want my golf exciting and nail biting, not boring and predictable.

I honestly think a healthy Rory is a lot better than pretty much everyone. If he stays healthy, I see no reason for him not to be #1 for a long time. What also helps is the fact he doesn’t have as many points to defend from 2015 when he missed a couple of big ones due to injury.

The only one that could make it a race IMHO is DJ. His driving is just so damn solid, and with his improved short game he is going to win. A lot. Still think Rory’s game is a bit more well-rounded.

Maybe it's just me, but what does being ranked #1 mean anyway?
There is no award that I am aware of for this.
It doesn't qualify you for any special tourney. (aka NCAA March Madness)
I could go on and on....

It just seems like the media is always looking for more stats to broadcast and this is just another one of those...in my opinion.

Something tells me DJ is going to keep this a little while. Since his hiatus from the tour the guy has had a strong trajectory. I looked and he's got something like 16 top 10s in his last 23 tour events. And 3 of the 7 non top 10s are still top 20. This is all while having his first kid too.

If the guy finally broke through on majors AND added a kid AND is improving his putting compared to last year (up 5 spots thus far) this guy is dominant. He finished T6 and T4 the last two years at Augusta. Look out...

Back