JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's say hypothetically that you were commissioned to start a new golf tour, we can call it the USFL of professional golf. All other tours are struggling and the USFL of Golf is sitting with plenty of cash to start up. There will be a draft of sorts and you are tasked with choosing 5 players to shape the tour on, and none of them can be ranked in the top 10 currently in the OWGR.

The goal is to shape the fans interest for the first 3-5 years and to do that with both great play, fan interest and more.

Who are you choosing and why?

• Admin
The current top 10

Dustin Johnson
Jason Day
Rory McIlroy
Henrik Stenson
Hideki Matsuyama
Jordan Spieth
Adam Scott
Justin Thomas
Sergio Garcia
Alex Noren

Rickie Fowler
Bubba Watson
Paul Casey
Smylie Kaufman
Patrick Reed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My choices would be:
1. Justin Rose
2. Lefty Phil
3. Brandt Sneadeker
4. Matt Kucher
5. Rickie Fowler.

I believe popularity and marketability plays a role in my selections.
Phil Mickelson (No matter the age or performance people will flock to see him)
Rickie Fowler (Young gun with great tv and marketing personality)
Justin Rose (Top tier player, international presence, Gold Medal Winner)
Patrick Reed (Loud and exciting)
Bubba Watson (Non-traditional and bold)

Daniel Berger
Patrick Reed
Thomas Pieters
Rickie Fowler
Justin Rose

Tiger
Rickie
Rose
Ikeda
Oosty

I'm thinking:
Phil Mickelson (the vet with a huge fanbase)
Rickie Fowler (the already popular youngish guy)
Patrick Reed (the competitive bulldog)
Jon Rahm (a rookie with a ton of talent)
Bubba Watson (the wildcard)

Rickie Fowler

Patrick Reed

Justin Rose

Tony Finau

Wesley Bryan

Phil Mickelson
Rickie Fowler
Patrick Reed
Jon Rahm
Bubba Watson

Mine are similar to others....solid group.

Rickie Fowler
Patrick Reed
Bubba Watson
Justin Rose
Phil Mickelson

Patrick Reed - I want someone with fire, I also think he's due for a big year after that ryder cup performance.

Rickie Fowler- to bring in the younger, fashion forward group. And he's a hell of a golfer.

Tiger Woods - he doesn't even have to play, I just want media coverage to start off, and you're likely to get front page photos of him bending down to get the paper.

Beef- I need someone that can capture some of the Euro market. He's got a great story, and he's someone people genuinely root for.

Phil- this guy still has gas in the tank, and I feel like he can move the needle for 3+ years, as well as mentor some of the younger guys on tour.

Honorable mention if Lydia Ko regained her dominant ways. I can't imagine the initial media firestorm if it were a truly "open" tour. Some people would tune in for the spectacle "how did the women do?"

Patrick Reed - Not many have the fire like him and the game to back it up. I would add a couple match play events on the schedule and really let him shine
Rickie Fowler - appeals to the younger players, easily marketed and has elite talent
Phil Mickelson - Tons of people are left with their favorite player on the shelf so they are going to the next one on their list and thats Phil. Hes great with crowds, great with kids and plays exciting golf
Beef - Again, popularity is there, marketability is there and the kid has game.
Jamie Sadlowski - Who wouldnt want to come watch someone hit the ball 400 yards? I know i would

Next 3 to 5 years means I need someone on the rise with lots of appeal.

Patrick Reed (Ryder Cup Superstar)
Rickie Fowler (Worldwide Appeal)
Justin Rose (Isn't young, but he's THE Gold Medalist)
Thomas Pieters (Rising, gonna be a world star soon IMO)
John Rahm (Rising fast, People are going to link him to Seve eventually I think)

I think you need a mix of older guys and younger guys to attract a bigger viewership as well as someone who is a wildcard, for those reasons I would go with

Rickie Fowler (younger guy big following)
Justin Rose (solid player European draw)
Phil Mickelson (big fan base, likeable personality)
Matt Kuchar (same as phil)
Wesley Bryan (younger guy making some noise, huge social media following)

Think I'd take:
Lefty
Fowler
Watson
Rose
Russell Knox

Little international flare to keep the European market intrigued and follow it up with well marketed Americans. (Love Bubba or not he's still well recognized)

Give me:

Budda Watson - everyone enjoys watching a freak on the course with some drama
Graeme McDowell - Gives great interviews and is perfect with the fans
Wesley Bryan - YouTube trick shot artist that everyone knows (even non golfers) and he can play his ball!
Rickie Fowler - He still holds the stock in the kid and women department, got to have 'em.
Rafa Cabrera Bello - Got to have a Spaniard on the team of 5. Up and coming super star and he's just a cool kid.

Very interesting questions/thoughts should come out of this one...

I'm going to go with the below, trying to somewhat balance performance with guys who I perceive have a following, and also trying to pull in spectators from at least a couple of continents...
Phil Mickelson (great following, solid performance)
Justin Rose (decent following - especially in UK, solid performance)
Emiliano Grillo (developing a following, decent performance)
Rickie Fowler (good following with younger generation, good performance)

I'm currently torn on my 5th choice. Would love a player from Asia, but other than Matsuyama, I'm not familiar enough with others to know if the move the needle in their locale. Would also like a player from mainland Europe or Africa, but not sure on their "pull", either.

I would go with these

Reed - he can bring some attitude to the broadcasts
Fowler - gotta hit the demographic that follows him
Mickelson - need an anchor for my tour and he would be it.
Cabrera Bello - bring some of that spanish bravado
Thomas Pieters - an up and coming star that I would be getting at the right time IMO

I will take
Patrick Reed
Justin Rose
Rickie Fowler
Jon Rahm
Justin Thomas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rickie Fowler - immediately grabs the attention of younger players. He's also the most marketable American golfer.
Bubba Watson - One of the most creative players - going through a funk but when he's on no one plays like him
Phil Mickelson - Unlike Tiger, Phil is still playing at a high level and has 3 more years of high level competitive golf in him. Instant star power.
Justin Rose - Olympic gold medalist, major winner, big star and has international appeal.
Yuta Ikeda - Surprisingly up to #36 in the world and would bring the interest of a huge Asian market.

Only one I'm lukewarm from those is Bubba. If I'd replace him with anyone it would be Rahm who I think is going to be a huge star at some point.

Patrick Reed - The younger polarizing golfer
Rickie Fowler - Young, style, flair
Bubba Watson - Most polarizing, would make headlines
Justin Rose - A bit of international taste
Phil Mickelson - The grizzled veteran presence

Phil
Rose
Koepka
Fowler
Cabrera Bello

Phil, because, well, he's Phil. Average golfers can relate because he always goes for the hero shot. Justin Rose is a probably the best golfer outside the top ten, and paired with Cabrera Bello (who is extremely talented and on an impressively long run of quality golf right now), can bring in international audiences for years. Fowler moves the needle for the younger generation. Koepka is the poor man's DJ. Awe inspiring distance with the seemingly nonchalant and carefree demeanor.

I almost said Tiger instead of Phil. People will watch Tiger, even if he isn't playing.

Back