golf is much less hard in warm weather....

JayB

Reaction score
Handicap
Playing golf in warm weather this weekend was a breath of fresh air. All winter I have been playing my usual course for the same tees I play in the summer. The winter carry distances for my tee shots had made the game hard - lots of long approach shots even after a well struck tee ball.

This weekend with high 60s I could once again take advantageous lines off the tee. I didn't look at what I was carrying distance wise, but most of my approach shots were around 120-140yrds whereas a lot of this winter I was looking at 150-170.

Playing golf in warm weather this weekend was a breath of fresh air. All winter I have been playing my usual course for the same tees I play in the summer. The winter carry distances for my tee shots had made the game hard - lots of long approach shots even after a well struck tee ball.

This weekend with high 60s I could once again take advantageous lines off the tee. I didn't look at what I was carrying distance wise, but most of my approach shots were around 120-140yrds whereas a lot of this winter I was looking at 150-170.

We just played in Phoenix a couple weeks ago after being in PDX. Golfpad says my driver average is 241. I hit one 300 yard green and just missed another. I wasn't swinging better...yeah, love me some warm weather golf. Makes me look good.

Until that humidity sets in... #midwestproblems

I played this weekend twice in Illinois during our heatwave. I didn't wait for it to full warm up and teed off when it was around 50. My back can definitely feel that cooler weather at this point but worth the trade in getting to play in February.

I don't know that it's ever less hard, but it's definitely more fun in warm weather.

I just got out for my first round of the year yesterday. and I noticed a good amount of distance loss, (still mid 40's low 50's here). I just had to club up and play my shot.

I don't know that it's ever less hard, but it's definitely more fun in warm weather.

Part of my choice of bad grammar in title. I couldn't use the word 'Easier' and keep a straight face....

Warmer weather usually means less layers of clothing as well, and its a lot easier to make full turns (or at least it is for me) in warm weather.

~Rock

We've been breaking records around here for rainfall this winter which means I'm playing in the rain for the first time in 20 years.

16 inches in January and 11 inches so far in February but by tomorrow we will add a couple more inches to that total. We won't see any carts on the fairways anytime in the next few weeks, which I rather like because it keeps more than half the golfers at home.

Certainly easier on my bad back, that's for sure!

Certainly easier on my bad back, that's for sure!

absolutely. In the cold I find I need to constantly do slow movements through all my ranges of motion to keep from tightening up. The time between the last full swing of a hole and the tee shot for the next hole is more than enough to stiffen up...

The cold will drastically affect my game and ability to swing. Once I get a chill, my back begins to spasm voiding the chance at any semblance of a turn.

Played this past Thursday in tough conditions. The thermostat reported 50° but that was a lie as that temp is usually on the warm side for me once I'm moving around. The stiff, cold wind easily dropped the real-feel temp into the mid to lower 30's.

Score was high and should've been much higher if it wasn't for good putting. Next day I developed a sinus infection to boot. If I wasn't teeing it up with a childhood buddy for the first time in 8 years, no way would I have played.

Very warm here today. I had pre-booked a Hot Deal before I was sick. Still can't play, can't cancel a Hot Deal so I gave the round away to a friend. Bummer. He's happy, lol...

It makes a big difference and is much more enjoyable in warmer weather, but I won't pass up a chance to play as long as it is about 38 degrees and minimal wind

I agree with that statement. Glad you got out.

It makes a big difference and is much more enjoyable in warmer weather, but I won't pass up a chance to play as long as it is about 38 degrees and minimal wind

Me neither. As a plus, I am pretty sure the tough conditions that have been thrown at me this winter have helped my game. I am much more comfortable with long approaches as that has been almost every second shot. I played one round with frozen greens and I learned a lot with the premium on placing your approach shot and putting.

I don't get cold enough weather to really effect carry in my area, but the ridiculous winds and wet conditions that come in the winter make golf even harder. I feel like short game has to be spot on to get good results out of soaked grass around the greens. If you are even a little fat the ball is going nowhere. And having to play up/down several clubs in 20-30 mph wind becomes guess work and I feel like luck has just as much to do with results as course (and weather) management.

It is also nice to putwith warm hands. Trying to decide on whether to play or just hit balls tomorrow in another day of record warm weather. Helps my handgun shootin' too.

You got that right! Much easier playing in warm weather. We have 1st tee time weekdays so I've been playing in the 40's and 50's all winter and my game is not what I am used to normally. A couple of weekends the weather has gotten up into the 70's in the afternoon so I have gone to the range. The whole time at the range I would strike the ball solidly bit can't replicate it on the course all layered up.

10 to 15 % of summertime!

I agree with this but not because of anything to do with conditions, distance etc.. Its my old bones.. Hard to stay lose in the cooler months.

Here this winter we've faced a number of obstacles. Cold and really wet conditions have:
Reduced carry distance due to cold and humidity
Made roll something that no longer exists on the fairways further reducing distance
Been so wet that most courses haven't been able to mow--even the fairways
Squishy ground further reduces distance due to footing and inability to trap the ball since the ground gives
Did I mention the high winds?
Greens are so squishy that rounds played in the afternoon still have well defined footprints from everyone else that played that day.

My usual winter golf day.....

Up at 3:45.

Scratch my ass, feed the mutts, and pour a cuppa coffee.

Go out in the garage & clean up my boat building mess with another cuppa coffee.

Go back inside to browse the news and sports and pour another cuppa coffee.

Go on to my 2 favorite golf forums for a while and have another cuppa coffee or two.

Send the wife off to work, get dressed, and head out the door to WaWa for another cuppa coffee.

Arrive at the course in 39 degree temps, and jittering like a jumping bean on steroids.

True, but playing a decent amount of winter golf this year may pay off, I'm looking forward to possibly being a better player when it warms up, after fighting the colder play a bunch this year.

Back