$10 million a year for 5 years

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
If you are one of the large OEMs would you sign Rory Mcilroy right now for these terms? Do you wait til the end of the year and see how his health holds up and he performs with maybe a chance to get the price down but risk it goes up?

Wait. Thats a lot of money for a name, and if he doesn't perform thats a lot of money lost...

I don't think so - maybe if I'm a company that has a big presence in Europe, since he does play in a lot of Euro tour events. But I'm wondering if that money would be better spent on more guys in that second tier who are going to win a tournament here and there, and still be on TV Sunday afternoon more often than not.

I assume under these circumstances he is still head to toe swooshed out?
Based on what Spieth got from Titleist after shopping every other brand, no chance in the world.

Nope. I would rather sign 10 guys in the 10-30 rank for a million a year. Between that group I get more coverage and 3-4 wins per year.

Does that make him everything from your brand or only clubs?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm going to say not. Not for that price. Yes, being #1 is worth something, but he's not #1, and if I've learned anything over the past 5 years or so, its that #1 has a real strong likelihood to be 'fluid' for some time to come.

Plus, his 'stature' in the game can't possibly effect club sales that much. Look at Ricke Fowler. He seems like a 'marketing' machine, but his game is nowhere near Rory's.

~Rock

I have no benchmark since I don't know how that compares to other deals that the top 10 might might have currently.

No...I'm along the same thought as spreading it across a level or two down. More presence and visual on the weekends.

Based on what Spieth got from Titleist after shopping every other brand, no chance in the world.

Yes still full Nike head to toe

Nope. Even if he went on a Tiger Slam type of streak, I wouldn't lose any sleep. There is too much risk and little reward

No chance then. His rate would be so much higher than anybody else in the world based on logos seen.

For only clubs?

Nope and let's be honest, I'm bias as heck.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No chance then. His rate would be so much higher than anybody else in the world based on logos seen.

Im going to rephrase this. Maybe if it came with like 50 appearance days or something ridiculous.
I know its not really discussed often, but there are a lot more to player contracts than just putting X amount of clubs in the bag.

I'd sign Ricky Fowler or one of the LPGA ladies first. They're more visible to the casual fan, and they seem to interact better. Being #1 counts but Twitter and instagram count more. I'd sign hashtag Chad before Rory just based on presence.

Im going to rephrase this. Maybe if it came with like 50 appearance days or something ridiculous.
I know its not really discussed often, but there are a lot more to player contracts than just putting X amount of clubs in the bag.

That's definitely something now known by many. TO talked about at LIITA concerning how many days they had Rickie and Lexi for and how they has to carefully manage that.

I think with him being under Nike for apparel the price tag is high. Not sure how much longer he has on contract with them but I'm sure it will play a role in what he would get. He may have to do like Day and get his money total by splitting up between sponsors

I'd also have to say, no. I'd rather split that money up and maybe get 4 or 5 guys on the roster (maybe more?).

Don't see it adding up....

If I were looking what to do with $10M/year, I'd sign every aspiring internet golf starlet (aka paige spiranac et all) to a contact and keep the other $9M/yr in our ad budget. That approach is going to get the name in front of more crusty old dudes gawking on the internet than hanging your banner around Rory's neck.

What amunt did Spieth get from Titleist?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Not a chance... There's no way he generates more than a million in sales. That'd be my spending cap on him.

I'd sign Ricky Fowler or one of the LPGA ladies first. They're more visible to the casual fan, and they seem to interact better. Being #1 counts but Twitter and instagram count more. I'd sign hashtag Chad before Rory just based on presence.

Fowler is defiantly a marketing machine. When I saw him at a tour event he had a big crowd and was definitely one of the few players that was smiling and seemed to be enjoying himself.

My question is...does Fowler really increase sales of products? I rarely see anyone playing Cobra clubs or wearing loud clothes lol

Fowler is defiantly a marketing machine. When I saw him at a tour event he had a big crowd and was definitely one of the few players that was smiling and seemed to be enjoying himself.

My question is...does Fowler really increase sales of products? I rarely see anyone playing Cobra clubs or wearing loud clothes lol

That's a question an ad expert would have to answer. I honesty have no idea.

But who sells more Rory or Fowler?

I see way more puma gear than cobra gear and the puma clothes are worn by numerous age groups.

No way. With his injuries and him not even having my logo on his hat or bag, not worth $50 million. Can spread that around to several players who will have the company logo on several spots on bag/hat.

Lol I guess Nike feels differently than everyone. Aren't they already paying him $10mill a year for 10 years?

Back