2015 Wilson Staff Irons Preview - Entire Line

Except now I can't help but wonder how much of a gap there is between the M3 and the V4?
The V4's seem like an AP2 or Apex Pro comparable...both of which I can hit no problem.
one of the few times when too many options can be a negative thing hahaha

Except now I can't help but wonder how much of a gap there is between the M3 and the V4?
The V4's seem like an AP2 or Apex Pro comparable...both of which I can hit no problem.

They were close for me. The M3s are a little larger, but similar distances.

sounds like a lot of people including me are in the c100-v4 want/desire for clubs in this line. fortunately for me i don't have to make a decision on what to play for Legacy like others in here. I am leaning M3 because of looks and want something with a little "feel" to it.

If i was needing to make a choice for legacy right now based solely on design I probably would go c100. For me they give me something looks wise I am comfortable with, plus control and seem to be easy enough to hit and offer forgiveness over the M3s. in a situation where i wouldn't have much time to get familiar with the clubs i would play something with forgiveness and looks that i could handle.

I'm going for the blades... In my wedges. :D

I'm in the D200/C100 camp right now. Surprised more people aren't giving the D200s a shot. They have been impressive.

V4 is Apex Pro with a little different weighting.

Try one out if you can. I found them more forgiving than the M3.

V4 is Apex Pro with a little different weighting.

Try one out if you can. I found them more forgiving than the M3.
I've hit the V4 and I play the Apex Pro, they feel very similar, sound off the V4 is a bit different, but it's not an issue at all. The V4 have a bit weaker loft set up too. I really like how they felt.

Ive been playing around with the M3's for a bit too. I'm not sure I find the V4 more forgiving than the M3. In fact I feel as though it's reverse. Where as the M3 gives me a bit more forgiveness. With a higher launch than the V4. For what that's worth.

I'm going for the blades... In my wedges. :D

I'm in the D200/C100 camp right now. Surprised more people aren't giving the D200s a shot. They have been impressive.

Right now, I think D200 is the direction I am going.

Big demo day this weekend up here. Always love stopping by the W/S booth. Probably my 2nd favorite to stop by(Cleveland being the other because of the sales rep). Really can't wait to throw some swings on the d200 irons. Will maybe try the C100 as well again. Last year they had the Van on location and were doing a great promotion of building your clubs on the spot for you.

Big demo day this weekend up here. Always love stopping by the W/S booth. Probably my 2nd favorite to stop by(Cleveland being the other because of the sales rep). Really can't wait to throw some swings on the d200 irons. Will maybe try the C100 as well again. Last year they had the Van on location and were doing a great promotion of building your clubs on the spot for you.

i wish the courses/ranges here would get the W/S guys here. Just no real presence at all. Not sure if it's cause of lack of demand or what, but those seem to go hand and hand.

i wish the courses/ranges here would get the W/S guys here. Just no real presence at all. Not sure if it's cause of lack of demand or what, but those seem to go hand and hand.

They really don't have a big sales presence hear either. 1 store carries some irons, not all. Woods are hit an miss each year. I think it's part of the reason at the demo day, they usually get little traffic. Of course that is part of the reason I like it, the guy there is always excited about the product and will spend a lot of time with you. It's why I like the Cleveland guy too, he looks for us every year and always chats it up with Jenn and I. Some of the other companies reps won't give you the time of day.

Does anybody have experience with how to gap D200s and Wilson wedges?

Does anybody have experience with how to gap D200s and Wilson wedges?
Depends really. The PW is 43*in set GW is 47* inset SW goes to 55*. Something to consider I guess.

Do you full swing your wedges Dave?

only place i have seen them is at some of the big events in the area Congressional all OEM day and a few other CCs in the area. Not a real big presence in the area for some reason.

I am loving my Berthas but the D200 irons will be in play today.

only place i have seen them is at some of the big events in the area Congressional all OEM day and a few other CCs in the area. Not a real big presence in the area for some reason.
Yeah well I can't see me getting into Congretional unless I go in as a service worker. So there is that.

Anyone going to be at the Kentucky Invitational with the D200 irons???

I've had the same question since I'm considering C100s. The PW is 44 I think. But going from a GI iron to essentially a blade wedge, I'm not sure going strictly off lofts will tell me that answer. Hoping to be able to just demo it. I'm also hoping the C100 PW isn't 30 yards longer than my current PW. Time will tell.

~Rock

Do you full swing your wedges Dave?
Let's go with yes. I don't actually have an answer for that, but short game is my main focus right now.

I've had the same question since I'm considering C100s. The PW is 44 I think. But going from a GI iron to essentially a blade wedge, I'm not sure going strictly off lofts will tell me that answer. Hoping to be able to just demo it. I'm also hoping the C100 PW isn't 30 yards longer than my current PW. Time will tell.

~Rock

My experience is with a prior generation Ci9, but the lofts for PW and GW mirror those for the C100s @ 44* and 48* respectively. Putting my best swing on the PW I can hit it no farther than my prior gamer PW (Nike CCi forged). The 48* set gap wedge plays similar for me as a bladed 50* wedge. With the new tech in irons putting more weight low and outside you can't rely solely on lofts for gapping, in my limited experience. It's going to take some trial and error to find a good transition.

Yeah well I can't see me getting into Congretional unless I go in as a service worker. So there is that.

good thing you may know someone with some connections. i will let you know next week if i can do something for you or if they will even be there. i heard there is a multiple OEM day at SouthRiver on Thursday(dont know which ones or if its members only) same for this Saturday at Army/Navy and East Potomac

Let's go with yes. I don't actually have an answer for that, but short game is my main focus right now.

Looks like a few solid options. It's hard to say man.

-47° D200/55° D200 - downside I see there is a pretty large gap if you're going to use that 55° as a full swing gapping club. You very well may not though and you can always choke down an inch or two. I wouldn't discount this one right away, because I bet your could build a respectable short game around it if you wanted. I suppose you could add in a 60 if you had space for it as well and felt you needed it.

-47° D200/50/54 - Probably will find this gaps pretty well, even with the 3° difference between the two. If you do this and are steep at all, default to higher bounce in the 50.

-47° D200/52/56 - Little bigger difference between 47 and 52, but the benefit of a little more loft in the SW for bunkers and elevated greens that are plentiful.

-47° D200/50/56 - Tighter in the full swing range, but a little more loft at the top.

Assuming you are going to be taking full swings with some of them - I'd take the option that provides some uniformity to your iron set there. Look to simplify here unless you have the time/energy to devote to utilizing a number of different lofts is my advice.

Looks like a few solid options. It's hard to say man.

-47° D200/55° D200 - downside I see there is a pretty large gap if you're going to use that 55° as a full swing gapping club. You very well may not though and you can always choke down an inch or two. I wouldn't discount this one right away, because I bet your could build a respectable short game around it if you wanted. I suppose you could add in a 60 if you had space for it as well and felt you needed it.

-47° D200/50/54 - Probably will find this gaps pretty well, even with the 3° difference between the two. If you do this and are steep at all, default to higher bounce in the 50.

-47° D200/52/56 - Little bigger difference between 47 and 52, but the benefit of a little more loft in the SW for bunkers and elevated greens that are plentiful.

-47° D200/50/56 - Tighter in the full swing range, but a little more loft at the top.

Assuming you are going to be taking full swings with some of them - I'd take the option that provides some uniformity to your iron set there. Look to simplify here unless you have the time/energy to devote to utilizing a number of different lofts is my advice.

I have this debate in my head several times per week. I thought about seeing if I could get a 52 bent to 51, then keeping the 56 the same.

I have this debate in my head several times per week. I thought about seeing if I could get a 52 bent to 51, then keeping the 56 the same.

I've done bending in the past to match iron sets. Certainly an option, though I think the truth is that if we're talking a degree, it's more about satisfying my OCD than it is about hitting a perfect yardage gap lol.

Back