Aim Point Express

Have any of you used the Strackaline App? It's from the guy/company that does all the PGA Tour yardage books. They use a laser to scan the greens on courses and you can download the course you need to the app through subscriptions. The scans of the greens map out undulations in percent of slope which would be perfect for learning the Aimpoint Express method. You can select the days hole location and your ball location on the app and it will tell you the distance, how far left or right to hit the putt, and long to hit it as well.

I know 3 of my clubs courses are available through the app, but 2 of the courses had their greens completely redone last year and the third is being redone any day now. So I'm not sure any of them are accurate right now.

Ill have to check that out.
Would that possibly be considered 'illegal'?

Ill have to check that out.
Would that possibly be considered 'illegal'?

For rounds used in your HC, yes it would be illegal. I'm more interested in it to learn how to read slope accurately on my own.

I just watched the demo tutorial.

It does in fact give you slope percentages, and allow you to adjust for green speed.

In fact, I believe it pretty much takes Aimpoint out of the equation because once you've set it up, it will tell you where to hit your ball, without you having to do much of anything but simply tell the App where your ball is and where the hole is.

It then spits out a number ("aim your ball 3" to the left of the hole").

It seems like it would be a lot of work for them to get every green at even some of the courses we like to play, since they have to do so manually.
They don't get into availability of courses on the App.

I don't know that I could ever use that App to tell me where to hit the ball, as it just doesn't seem right (it takes green reading out of golf altogether), but it does allow you to print out readings of each green with detailed slopes over the entire surface of the green.

That would be super useful, especially at new courses, on approach shots.

Who ho am I kidding? I only hit a couple greens on long approaches anyways.

Yes I never considered that angle...it would be useful to help learn slope reading.

Again, with what I would assume would be limited course availability, I think you're still going to have to purchase a level anyways.

I expect you will love it.
Buy the Husky level that is described in the video at Home Depot. Don't mess around with other options.

Obviously you still have to be able to start your putt on your line.

But when you know, even if you misread the slope a bit, that your ball is going to come close to the hole, that confidence makes it so much easier to putt.

I don't have any experience with difficult double breaks, or super long putts with this system...but that's not where I was losing my strokes.

I sound like a 'fanboy'

I have no affiliation with Aimpoint at all. I'm just simply excited that I'm going to save some strokes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I'm in Canada, they don't sell that digital level here. I'm going to Vegas in a few weeks, so I might have to stop by Home Depot while I'm there.

This is a free green reading/slope percent reading app for iPhones that might be worth playing with:

http://www.breakmeter.com

That's a pretty cool looking App.
It gives the left to right / right to left break in degrees, rather than percent...is that something you can change via the settings?

here's one for android; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.plaincode.clinometer&hl=en

Here's the description; a clinometer is an instrument for measuring angles of slope (or tilt), elevation or inclination of an object with respect to gravity. It is also known as a tilt meter, tilt indicator, slope alert, slope gauge, gradient meter, gradiometer, level gauge, level meter, declinometer, and pitch & roll indicator.

I too may buy the husky if I'm able to go to the THP fun event in Minnesota, as yes the husky isn't in Canada. But I'm taking aimpoint on the 25th this month so need something until then, and this does show % slope.

That's a pretty cool looking App.
It gives the left to right / right to left break in degrees, rather than percent...is that something you can change via the settings?

I actually learned about the app in this months Golf mag in the section talking about Aimpoint Express. I'm pretty sure it said it displayed percent of slope in the article, but I downloaded it and it's just degrees on both directions and I couldn't find a way to change it.

My Aimpoint DVD just came yesterday and I watched it last night.

I actually learned about the app in this months Golf mag in the section talking about Aimpoint Express. I'm pretty sure it said it displayed percent of slope in the article, but I downloaded it and it's just degrees on both directions and I couldn't find a way to change it.

I just downloaded the app and I was able to switch it from degrees to percentage. You just need to keep clicking on the button beside the 'Calibrate' button in the top right.

Gotcha. I looked up the conversions and it could get difficult.

1• is 1.75%
2• is 3.49%
3• is 5.24%
4• is 6.99%

Then again, there are differences in the widths of people's fingers and how they feel that percentage of slope. So it might be fine to treat the markings on the dead zero aid as 2, 3, 5, and 7.

If the slope is 1.75%, shouldn't that be a 2?
I thought whatever the percentage was, that should match the number.

ie. 1% = 1, 2% = 2, 3% = 3, etc

Those are "degree" to percentage calculations. Degrees and percent are not equal.

And my app is on the iPhone and the calibrate is bottom left. I can't find any way to switch to percent.

Those are "degree" to percentage calculations. Degrees and percent are not equal.

Can you explain the math behind how to get the 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5?

I thought I saw in the video that we should be using the slope percent and not the actual degree of slope (in degrees).

However, if a 45* slope would be considered 100%, then 1% would probably feel very insignificant...and a 1 wouldn't even break at all

I'm very confused. Obviously, there is something wrong with the way I'm looking at this.

Last edited:
Can you explain the math behind how to get the 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5?

Degrees and percent of slope are two different forms of measurement for slope. It is like saying inches or centimeters. They are not equal.

I tested out the app today on a practice green and saw a reading of 9%.

The slope wasn't that severe so I'm thinking either the app is inaccurate or the % isn't the same as what the digital level would give?

Any ideas?

On another note, I just tried out the aimpoint system using what I thought what each slope should feel like and it seemed to be working.

how much does the aimpoint classes run on average?

I'm paying $210 for it this weekend, but it includes level 1 & 2. So probably around $100 for one level.

I think mine were $125 each.

I paid $125 each for individual lessons.

Taking 1&2 tomorrow. Getting excited for this!
I've always been decent at reading greens, but anything that has the possibility of dropping another few strokes is welcome in my books! Especially on unfamiliar courses.

Any of you guys start with the Aimpoint Express green reading?
Shifty, wasn't it you that had purchased the DVD?

I think Arwin said he was starting too, didn't he?

I used it on a real course last Tues for the first time (I had used it during a couple 9 hole practice rounds previously).
I felt like I was putting well last week, but didn't keep stat's.

Today, I played a more difficult course, and kept stat's (via GolfPad) for the 1st time.

I had a personal best 30 putts today: one 3-putt, and seven 1-putts.

But, the downside, because the course was busy, and we were paired up with someone who was super slow, I felt really rushed to measure my line. My buddy told me afterwards that I was sometimes unaware that I was stepping in other peoples lines.
I feel horrible about that. I thought I was very aware of that, and always have been, but I think perhaps when I was rushing on a couple of the holes, I may have inadvertently done that.

But, I would say, I don't take any more than 30-45 seconds to lineup and hit my putt.
I measure the slope after I pitch/chip onto the green, before anyone has started putting. So, the only real time I take is lining up the line on my ball to my target.

Got the DVD and starting to try this out, but they just punched the greens at my home course--so its going to be some time before there is decent feedback. I got the Husky 9in Digital Scale from Home Depot that has the % option on it to start feeling slope and checking the setting. I do like the method for a quick read so far--if anything I do think it will help with confidence and at least getting it closer to the hole for the next putt if I am off a bit. Will see if it reduces the 3 putts that plaque me at times on the longer putts.

Any of you guys start with the Aimpoint Express green reading?
Shifty, wasn't it you that had purchased the DVD?

I think Arwin said he was starting too, didn't he?

I used it on a real course last Tues for the first time (I had used it during a couple 9 hole practice rounds previously).
I felt like I was putting well last week, but didn't keep stat's.

Today, I played a more difficult course, and kept stat's (via GolfPad) for the 1st time.

I had a personal best 30 putts today: one 3-putt, and seven 1-putts.

But, the downside, because the course was busy, and we were paired up with someone who was super slow, I felt really rushed to measure my line. My buddy told me afterwards that I was sometimes unaware that I was stepping in other peoples lines.
I feel horrible about that. I thought I was very aware of that, and always have been, but I think perhaps when I was rushing on a couple of the holes, I may have inadvertently done that.

But, I would say, I don't take any more than 30-45 seconds to lineup and hit my putt.
I measure the slope after I pitch/chip onto the green, before anyone has started putting. So, the only real time I take is lining up the line on my ball to my target.

I only got the DVD and was doing very well with it.
I played again the other day at TPC Las Vegas but I couldn't get the speed down. So I really screwed up my putts there. There was one instance where I didn't trust what I was feeling in my feet because I 'saw' it differently and decided to go against it. After the putt, I realized I should always go with the feel because it broke just as much as what my original intention with the Aimpoint method told me!

The one thing about the DVD is that they glossed over the double breaking putts and they didn't explain it very much at all. Seemed like an after thought that they added to the DVD

The one thing about the DVD is that they glossed over the double breaking putts and they didn't explain it very much at all. Seemed like an after thought that they added to the DVD

Yeah, I'd agree with that.
I just assumed it was as easy as choosing the bigger break of the two in the middle third of the line, and playing that as they say, but there has to be more to it than that.

But, I haven't had to play a double break putt yet, so I don't know how it would work.

Back