Trying To Break 90 Club

Joining this thread to motivate myself. I played for the first time in a year and a half on Saturday. It was a short course and relatively easy - 5500 yard par 70, and I shot a 97. About what I expected honestly. I haven't played regularly since I graduated college (2006). Maybe averaged 15 rounds a year since then.

I'm hoping to play at least 27 holes a week going forward (one normal weekend round and hopefully 9 holes after work once a week). Have a lesson scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Really want to get back to where I was 10 years ago (around a 13 handicap), and obviously better. Let the fun begin.

93 today with awesome ball striking, but the greens were very inconsistent in speed today and it got in my head so I struggled with the putter. Way too many 3 jacks because of speed today. Pretty happy with the progression of my game though. If I would have putted better today, I was in the 80's. One blow up hole landed me a triple bogey as well, when I was sitting pretty with my drive 110 yards out in the fairway and chunked one in the water.

I'm there, I just need to put it all together for one round.
Keep at it man. One thing that helped my mental side was to play every hole for bogey. Just something that really kept me focused and concentrating on playing my game and executing shots that I know I can hit.

Do I go for that Par 5 in 2? Ehh maybe not If I am not feeling the 3 wood hit to a comfortable distance and go from there.

This thread helped me a ton last season and I had my best season of golf to date.

great efforts in here lately guys, it will come.

I played saturday morning in the mud and the snow, it was 35 degrees and 30 mph gusts.... it was fun!

I managed to play 51-49 for 100, given the conditions, I was pretty happy with that, I think I will get back to the 80s this year

Keep at it man. One thing that helped my mental side was to play every hole for bogey. Just something that really kept me focused and concentrating on playing my game and executing shots that I know I can hit.

Do I go for that Par 5 in 2? Ehh maybe not If I am not feeling the 3 wood hit to a comfortable distance and go from there.

This thread helped me a ton last season and I had my best season of golf to date.

This is how I'm approaching my rounds. If hit a bad tee shot mentally I tell myself my 2nd shot is actually my tee shot. Then play the hole to par from there.

Long par 5's instead of trying something spectacular it's more now to do with safely advancing the ball down the fairway to anywhere inside 120 yards. Even if it's a low worm burner.

Short game and confidence with my wedges is leaving me more and more one putts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After having 8 pars in my last round and 5 today, it's difficult to have that mindset. I play for par, but accept bogeys with no issues.

After having 8 pars in my last round and 5 today, it's difficult to have that mindset. I play for par, but accept bogeys with no issues.

Yeah it is not for everyone just works for me especially after the Winter. I will go to trying for matching 45s on each 9 that helps my mental game greatly.

Trying to break 90 after not having played for 15 years or so. I used to play for the high school golf team which amounted to a lot of free golf over lots of different courses and rounds consistently in the 80's and a PB 82 in my senior year. I didn't play at all in college, and I only played a little bit for the few years after graduating. For whatever reason, at the beginning of the year I finally decided to dust off the old set and started obsessing about getting back into the game. I started with a lot of time at the range and taking lessons for the first time, and after about a month or so I finally felt ready to hit the course. (My first round was with a fellow THP'er which I am very grateful for - thanks mancest!).

So far I've played 2 rounds: 96 and 94. Both rounds had two holes that were +5 and +3 that I am hoping to eliminate in my next round. Unfortunately I can only get onto a course about once a month, but because of that, when I play my next round, I am going to try to elevate my focus as if I were back in high school playing in a match to see if that helps me avoid having another blow up hole and maybe help me get my first birdie since coming back. I will try to approach each stroke consistently: practice swings, alignment and setup (instead of my usual step up and rip it approach). Before my next round, I need to get more short game and putting practice in. I've always tried to just go by feel, which of course is hit or miss and very inconsistent, especially now that I can't get on the course very often. I am feeling confident it will happen in my next round, and I can't wait.

I broke 90 for the first time ever yesterday with an 84. This is after shooting a 108 a little over a week ago. I guess the winter rust is wearing off and the length with the driver is helping :). One thing I noticed that help was leaving a long putt only on 1-2 holes. By having most inside 10 feet it limited the 3 putts. Generally did this by making sure I always had not much more than a wedge into a green. A lot of the time I'll go for it unnecessarily and not doing that this round helped.

I was close to the elusive mark on Sunday. I had to stop after 11 due to family commitments.

I shot 46 on the front, but that was with a triple on the first hole (pushed tee shot that got me in big trouble). I finished with 4 pars in 5 holes including the first two holes on the back 9. A 43 was clearly doable on the back because I basically had to play bogey golf from that point out. Maybe next time..........

Putting the driver away has been key.

Had a very good lesson yesterday. Helped me understand exactly what I was doing wrong. Few very small things - right hand was a little too strong, ball position was a tad too far back in my stance, and I wasn't squaring the club at impact.
Planning on scheduling another lesson to focus on the short game in the near future.

Overall, the lesson gave me a lot of confidence. I know exactly what I was doing wrong. And I think the best thing was, he was very complementary of my swing and said if I play regularly, I should be shooting in the upper 70's (my best round is 82 - 9 years ago - haven't really played regularly since then).

Hoping to get out both Saturday and Sunday and get to work.

Snuck in 18 on Thursday. Went out in 46, in 49 for a 95. I had a poor day off the tee, only hitting 4 out of 14 fairways. I kept the damage to one penalty though, which was good. 3/18 GIR, 34 putts and two pars. I didn't really strike the ball well, but it wasn't the worst round. I will hit the range tomorrow, play Sunday and possibly Monday, then it is off to Kiawah Thursday.

Last year I broke 90 about 1/3 of the time. This year I'm 0 for 2 with a 96 and 105. Tough start to the year so far.

First rounds of the season other than an 83 at a course I frequent a lot, ive been shooting in the 90s. 93/96/48 on a 9 hole... Really need to work on being more aggressive from 140 and in. Oh yeah and consistently hitting the driver straight or slight left.

3 straight rounds (18) of 94 & 2 rounds (9) of 44 at my home course. Hitting the greens is my nemesis this year todate. 3putts are very limited (1 last nite) but new putter in play so hopefully their done with. Below is some stats I've started to track

PAR 3's are being a prob but I'm putting that on getting my irons working again.

Horrible round today of 49 and 49 with an 8 in the first 9 and a 7 in the 2nd 9. Missed so many putts and made countless other mistakes. Need to shake this off and move forward.

This may be my first post in this thread but that is where my game is right now. The sad thing is I haven't come close to breaking 90 lately. I need to figure it out quick because I am not having much fun out there playing like this. I am sure it is all between the ears but tomorrow is another day.

This may be my first post in this thread but that is where my game is right now. The sad thing is I haven't come close to breaking 90 lately. I need to figure it out quick because I am not having much fun out there playing like this. I am sure it is all between the ears but tomorrow is another day.
Don't feel too bad dude. I've been in the low-mid 80's for the last month or so, and then today I go and rack up a freaking 98.

Golf is hard.

According to my wife I know for a fact my problem is not between the ears. She has said on many occasions that it's vacant.

Last year I shot a 90... once.

This year the quest is to break it.

Yesterday I shot 46 on the front 9. That was with a triple bogey on the par 3 3rd hole. I played the wind and then the wind died and my ball landed ... and I duffed my pitch, then missed my bunker shot, then got out, you get the picture. Oh and the greens sucked.... they were still recovering from being plugged and sanded - and tell me why with these conditions they decided to use the most difficult pin placements I've seen on that course?

The back nine I ran out of gas and shot a 51. I was choosing one club short on everything. 39 putts... ugh!

But Ms. Glass is half-full was driving the other three up the wall. I got to practice a lot of "recovery shots" and hit a Phil on 15. Having hit my second shot through the trees onto the adjacent tee area into the thick rough, I had an 84 yd wedge shot I had to keep low and stick to the green near a tight pin. So I clubbed up to a pitching wedge, played it back, and dropped it about 10 feet from the pin. Unfortunately due to the green condition, I two putted due to sand buildup on the ball.

I will break 90 this year.

Last year I shot a 90... once.

This year the quest is to break it.

Yesterday I shot 46 on the front 9. That was with a triple bogey on the par 3 3rd hole. I played the wind and then the wind died and my ball landed ... and I duffed my pitch, then missed my bunker shot, then got out, you get the picture. Oh and the greens sucked.... they were still recovering from being plugged and sanded - and tell me why with these conditions they decided to use the most difficult pin placements I've seen on that course?

The back nine I ran out of gas and shot a 51. I was choosing one club short on everything. 39 putts... ugh!

But Ms. Glass is half-full was driving the other three up the wall. I got to practice a lot of "recovery shots" and hit a Phil on 15. Having hit my second shot through the trees onto the adjacent tee area into the thick rough, I had an 84 yd wedge shot I had to keep low and stick to the green near a tight pin. So I clubbed up to a pitching wedge, played it back, and dropped it about 10 feet from the pin. Unfortunately due to the green condition, I two putted due to sand buildup on the ball.

I will break 90 this year.
Keep on grinding because when you do, it's oh so satisfying.

I'm back in this club. not a bad thing, it's April, I'm older, playing with the bag makeup. hp

Sent from my LG G3

92 today.... Count them.... Five three putts. Disgusted with myself.

I forgot to mention. I had two birdies in this round. Holes 5-9 I went birdie, birdie, bogey (3 putt), bogey (3 putt), par. I played horrible on the back 9, but if I could have managed a +2 on the final 3 holes I would have had an 89. I went bogey, bogey, triple.

48 / 46 for another 94. Was a weird round looking at my stats, front 9 I struggled off the tee only hitting 3 fairways, and not a single GIR, but only 15 putts and a chip in from just off the green. Onto the back 9, I hit 6 out of 7 Fairways and 5 GIR's, but 22 putts. Last 3 holes I lost my swing and was badly cutting across the ball with my irons and visiting the right side rough, trees, bunkers to often This is the result when my arms and body stop working together.

Onto the next round.

Last edited:
I went out in 48 and in 50 for a 98 yesterday, which included an ugly 9! on a par four on the front. 34 putts, 3/14 FW and 0/18 GIR. I didn't give myself really any chances to get on in regulation, and the few I did have I was on the fringe (2nd, 9th, 10th, 11th, 14th & 17th holes) I was +5 on those holes, so I have work to do in the short game area getting chips consistently closer and making some putts. I also had a bad day at the beach; left two shots in the bunker which usually I'm fairly good at escaping.

On to some practicing and the next round.

Back