Right now I have a 19* hybrid in my bag. I've been looking at either a 3 wood or a 4 wood to fill the gap between my driver and 3 hybrid. Is anyone gaming a 17* fairway wood and a 19* hybrid? Just wondering if I would see enough of a distance gap to go for the 4 wood over the 3 wood.

Since the 4w is longer than the hybrid AND 2 deg. stronger I would say yes, it's enough of a gap. A G20 4w is 16.5 deg. if it really bothers you.

Love my Nike Vrs 4 wood. Can hit it high,low, of the tee and the deck. My favorite club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right now I have a 19* hybrid in my bag. I've been looking at either a 3 wood or a 4 wood to fill the gap between my driver and 3 hybrid. Is anyone gaming a 17* fairway wood and a 19* hybrid? Just wondering if I would see enough of a distance gap to go for the 4 wood over the 3 wood.

I am. I was wondering same as you if the distance between 4w and 3h was enough to carry both. On both launch monitor and on the range I saw 15 plus yards difference in carry.

I just got a Callaway XR Pro 16* 4 wood with a Aldila Tour Green x-stiff shaft and love it. I use it off the tee on par 4's that are in the 350 yard range and also for reaching par 5's in 2. No hybrids in my bag anymore, just 10 irons, 2 fairway woods, driver, and putter.

I am playing a Jetspeed hl3 wood at 17* long and straight for me.

Last edited:
Iv just grabbed an x hot pro 4 wood 17 degree as iv found a driver I can hit so no need for the deep faced cleveland classic! As It was my tee option and too tough tk hit from the deck! My problem now is what do I put in to fill the gap to 4i iv got a cally x hot pro hybrid 16 degree and a adams dhy 21 degree I'm thinking of trading both in and getting something at te 18-20 degree range will all depend on numbers! The too of my bag is a mess!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When putting together my bag the 4wood was the best option for me: it is all about the gaps.

Driver - 4wood - 20° hybrid gave me consistent gaps.

Now I'm looking at a new bag full of clubs it'd be different though. Couple of reasons:
1. My current set of irons is considered "weak". The XR Pro 6iron has the same loft as my current 5iron for example.
2. I've gained distance in the driver, making the gap to the 4wood a little too much.

TL;DR I love my 4wood, but it's a club that has to fit your needs. It launches a bit easier then a 3wood, but doesn't have its distance.

I am. I was wondering same as you if the distance between 4w and 3h was enough to carry both. On both launch monitor and on the range I saw 15 plus yards difference in carry.

Right around 15 yards is exactly what I would like for the gap. I figure 2* stronger loft and 2.5 inch longer shaft should give me enough of a gap to go for the 4 wood instead of the 3 wood.

I've been leaning towards the 4 wood lately because I'm someone who hits driver on virtually every par 4 and par 5. My home course I hit driver on 13 out of 14 holes and very rarely on any course I play do I use driver less than 11 times. The versatility of the 4 wood is definitely appealing to me.

Had an exotics xcg 4 wood that was pretty solid, but it got kicked out of the bag by an XTD 2 hybrid... just because of the more controllable ball flight.

I've been playing 4w since the original Exotics came out. I've rotated it with an Exotics Trilogy 4w over the past few seasons. Now I'm testing out a Callaway Optiforce 4w, very early but results are promising.

I prefer the slightly higher loft as it gives that little bit of help. Must be the technology of the clubs but I'm actually longer with them than I was my prior 3w (Cally Warbird strong-3, 13° I believe).

The Bridgestone 4 wood is the one that is not leaving my bag.
Yesterday it was money for me. Now I just need to learn to use it more and the driver less

I've been playing 4w since the original Exotics came out. I've rotated it with an Exotics Trilogy 4w over the past few seasons. Now I'm testing out a Callaway Optiforce 4w, very early but results are promising.

The Trilogy/Xrail and Opti 4ws are two of the 3 best fairway woods that I have ever played (along with the 588). I've played probably 20+ different types of fairway woods and in various lofts in the lines.

The Trilogy/Xrail and Opti 4ws are two of the 3 best fairway woods that I have ever played (along with the 588). I've played probably 20+ different types of fairway woods and in various lofts in the lines.

I've actually been very happy with both of my Exotics but then there was that deal at Callaway pre-owned... ;-) Typical impulse buy.

I've yet to go to the range, not even for pre-round warm up, and in my two rounds I'd only pulled the Optiforce four times. Swing's rusty, didn't pure any of them but with less than ideal contact each shot felt extremely solid and results were really very good. I'd have to give it an A+ wrt forgiveness so far.

I have been on the 4 wood band wagon for a while allows me to use a bigger headed 3 wood for the tee to control distance plus the 5 wood was too close distance wise to my 3H

Been thinking I might throw my Optiforce 4W back in the bag for a bit and drop the 3W, and 5W for now and see if it helps me having a few less options and less to think about.

Oldest club in my bag 4w burner superfast 2.0. Just love it, and am hesitant to replace it. It gaps perfectly between my 3hybrid, and my driver, and is more forgiving than a 3w IMo, and due to different trajectory goes around the same distance.

I think I'm going to pick up the Callaway XR Pro in 16* with a diamana kai'li 60 x-stiff shaft. These things are HOT off the face and feel great to me.

I've actually been very happy with both of my Exotics but then there was that deal at Callaway pre-owned... ;-) Typical impulse buy.

I've yet to go to the range, not even for pre-round warm up, and in my two rounds I'd only pulled the Optiforce four times. Swing's rusty, didn't pure any of them but with less than ideal contact each shot felt extremely solid and results were really very good. I'd have to give it an A+ wrt forgiveness so far.

I never should have sold my Opti. I had a 4W with the PX 5.5, which is perfect for my swing. I'm not a long hitter, but I could drop a ball on the ground, put an easy swing on it and knock it out there 205-210. That's all I really ask for.

My lone eagle last year was on that. Smashed (for me) a drive to 210 out, Opti 4w to 6 feet, made the putt. Granted it was a shorter (say 460) par 5, but it still felt good.

I can't imagine how good it'd be if I had your swing -- rusty or not.

Hey, thanks. ?

I learned a tough lesson a while ago about keeping what works. I'm an equipment maniac like most here, I was always moving stuff as quickly as I'd get more. But I lost a couple of holy grails moving them too quickly in chasing perfection and wanting to offset expense.

Now I cost myself resale but I'll hold onto what works for a season to be absolutely sure the new stuff matches my game.

As for the swing and distance, I'm lucky to be long but I wasn't always. I was decidedly average yet did nothing golf specific to increase distance. As the swing became more efficient, the numbers naturally increased. Then in the gym, I really hammered the core in order to support my balky back. More distance.

Now where 7-iron used to be my 150 yard club, it's PW most often now, 9-iron to begin the season. It truly makes the game easier when all is right but accuracy is now at a premium for me. I'm punished for wayward shots now like I never was before. So it's all relative.

Get that Opti back! ? Kidding, of course. There's magic out there and I know it, let me know when you find some. Cheers!

I pulled my old Ping Rapture 16* 3w out of my "retired" clubs bag today and used it to replace my TM superfast 3w. I was very pleased with my distance and accuracy with it. Now that I am starting to lose some distace with age I am considering adding a 13* ( I have an Adams tight lies in the "retired" bag I will game it tomorrow) in the as a strong 3w. I can't hit middle irons like I used to and gave up on long irons a few years ago.
My bag will look like this tomorrow:
Driver TM Superfast 10.5
13* Adams Tight Lies
16* Ping Rapture
18* TM Superfast 5W
21* TM Aeroburner 5H W
24* TM Superfast 5h
TM 6-AW
Cleveland 56*W
Ping B60 putter
I have to get this bag straightened out by the Armpit Bowl.

Sent from my LG G3

I have my BB 3 Wood set to 16 degrees and my 5wood set to 20 degrees and I'm loving the ball flight with these. I guess they are really 4 and 6 Woods now (long shafted), but the additional loft seems to work well at those lengths.

I am having trouble fitting the gap between the 5 Hybrid and the 5 Wood, so may be adding in a 7 wood (set to 23*) or maybe another hybrid.

Good thread.

Hey, thanks. 

I learned a tough lesson a while ago about keeping what works. I'm an equipment maniac like most here, I was always moving stuff as quickly as I'd get more. But I lost a couple of holy grails moving them too quickly in chasing perfection and wanting to offset expense.

Now I cost myself resale but I'll hold onto what works for a season to be absolutely sure the new stuff matches my game.

As for the swing and distance, I'm lucky to be long but I wasn't always. I was decidedly average yet did nothing golf specific to increase distance. As the swing became more efficient, the numbers naturally increased. Then in the gym, I really hammered the core in order to support my balky back. More distance.

Now where 7-iron used to be my 150 yard club, it's PW most often now, 9-iron to begin the season. It truly makes the game easier when all is right but accuracy is now at a premium for me. I'm punished for wayward shots now like I never was before. So it's all relative.

Get that Opti back!  Kidding, of course. There's magic out there and I know it, let me know when you find some. Cheers!

A lot of great stuff in this response. There's literally nuggets of wisdom spread throughout.

The Opti 4w is one that I let slip away. I'm not selling quite as quickly now as I used to because of it. I've had my eye out for another, but they're kind of hard to find with the PX 5.5. I had a matching 7w that for some reason wasn't all that special. Shrugs.

The golden ones are Tour Edge Trilogy/Xrails in 4w, 7w, 4h. I've had them in and out of the bag for 3 years in various lofts. I just found 3 brand new Xrails in those lofts over the offseason. All three were in the shrink wrap with head covers. I'll probably never sell these as the supply of clean ones is really drying up.

I suspect the 588s will be the same way. I had a cold spell with them over the winter and held onto the 588s as opposed to selling them. I'm thankful I did.

Back