When someone insists "that's good" . But with a sense of entitlement.

Was he aggressive about this or something?

I've read it twice and not sure what the issue is here.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've told people " Thanks, but that's ok I need the practice. You never know when I'll get lop sided and miss everything". Then I just keep on putting.

I'll tell my son , who is 11, " That's a gimme".

He'll ask if he can putt it anyway, and not count it if he misses. I say " Well, sure"..

Jack

Two questions:
1. How do you know what someone else's intent is?
2. Half minute to take a putt?

You can just get a sense of what one is thinking by their motions and how they say what they say. He was looking to run from hole to hole while our pace was ahead of what is normal at my course anyway. But he just saw no reason for me to attempt some of my 3 footers because to him the round meant nothing and was not one of his competitive rounds and felt the rest of us should treat it the same way.

Im not going to get into how long it takes to putt? I just used a number for sake of debate. But I assure you it was nothing time wise to be problematic in the slightest bit. One of my faults (putting wise) is that I don't take enough time to putt.

I usually just kindly tell them that i accept that they are giving me the putt, but for the sake of when im golfing with someone who wont, I would like to putt it out. Now if we are behind pace or its for Triple or more, Ill just take it and move on, but that usually isn't that case.

I guess if he's being a jerk and rushing you...then he's just being a jerk. The gimmies have little to do with it, just a symptom.

What I hate is when someone says "that's good" and swats the ball back to you (or tosses it) before you could putt it out. My uncle has done this and it's very annoying. Friendly...but annoying.

You can just get a sense of what one is thinking by their motions and how they say what they say. He was looking to run from hole to hole while our pace was ahead of what is normal at my course anyway. But he just saw no reason for me to attempt some of my 3 footers because to him the round meant nothing and was not one of his competitive rounds and felt the rest of us should treat it the same way.
I would think a simple "I'm going to use this score for handicapping purposes, so prefer to do it on the level." would suffice. No need to go through any other sort of justification, lecture on losing putting skills if not put into practice, etc etc. If it doesn't, a simple ignore him while you line up and make your putt should get the point across.

One thing that really ticks me off is when people feel the need to "explain things" to me. I'm not an idiot, and if I didn't ask for the explanation, chances are it's unappreciated. When that happens, I'll usually keep doing the offending behavior because well ... it's going to annoy them.

I think you're overanalyzing it honestly. I wasn't there obviously, but if they don't like that you putt out, who cares?

I would just tell them that I would prefer to putt out if they don't mind. Even if they do mind, I would prefer to putt out.

Some people think they're being "nice" by giving putts. But once you say that you'd rather putt them all in, that should be sufficient for them not to give you putts any more. I'll say "its good if you want it," when I'm playing with my regular foursome, but that's usually reserved for putts under 12 inches.

Like many others have said in the thread, I do not see the issue here - if he wasn't being a jerk about it or picking up your ball just play your game and putt out.

I personally am always ware of pace of play - but in this instance that doesn't seem to be the issue....

I will say/mention "that's good in my book" if the putt is close - and if a playing partner duffs a drive I will say "take another one if you like - I personally don't care" and leave it up to my them....

A the end of the day it is a game, and you paid to play the course - and as Hawk mentioned "Do what you want"

your misunderstanding me and perhaps its the way I wrote it all down. I take my share of putts just like most of you. That's how I know that when you take too many too often it then hurts your ability to make them. I also have no issue when one suggests a putt is good. We are not even playing against anyone. Most of the times its not said with any intent other than just being friendly. Thats all fine and dandy. But every once in a while it is said with intent as though to imply the person is not willing to wait for your putt or cant be bothered waiting (the half minute) while you putt because the round is not a serious one for them. They just want to move on even though pace is not even an issue. As said , some other things can pop up as well and not just putting. There is imo a difference when one does such things in a genuine friendly fashion vs when one does it because he don't feel its important in what may be just a casual meaningless round for him. Quite frankly he cant be bothered to have to watch you putt it out. Its not the norm and its more rare but I have seen this attitude enough times before to bring it up.

I understand where you're coming from rollin. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. You're referring to people who act like you're ridiculous and inconveniencing them if you want to putt out a short putt, take a correct drop or sometimes, even hit a provisional. "Just throw one down. This ain't the PGA Tour!" they say, rolling their eyes as you announce you're going to hit a provisional.

It's perfectly appropriate to gig someone if they're taking 3 minutes to line up a 2-footer, or if their being too anal is slowing down the group to the point of causing slow play, but harassing someone about how they play just because you do it the more casual way and you think it makes you a cooler, stud golfer is just as wrong as it would be for someone to harass you for rolling your ball over.

When I've had similar with there being no issue with pace of play, I just tell the truth: "thanks but I've been known to miss my fair share, it's a part of my gave that I need to improve."

Even when I'm putting out all day, my personal pace of play is never an issue. As to being slow, that is. My buddies call me "Rush Limbaugh" on the course, I love a fast pace. :)

I rarely play with people I don't know, but when I have I just let them do whatever they want to do if it's not a competitive round. This relates to putts, mulligans, improving lies, etc. Do whatever, just don't hold up pace of play.

This ^^^
If we're playing a friendly round then play the game however you want to, it has zero effect on me. All I want is someone who will keep up and not act like an ass.

Out of curiosity, would it bother you if the person started walking back to their cart/bag/next hole while you finished off your 2-3 foot putt?

To be honest thats never really an issue that pops up. Its just not something that takes that long to do for what you ask to even be a problem. I think plenty of times one or two (including me) start getting ready for the next hole as the last guy finishes up. That imo would be part of how we help keep pace. I think it could be in some circumstances (depending how its done) a bit rude or displays lack of common courtesy but over all its not going to get under my skin if that's what you mean. I think if you were coincidentally often the last one to putt and the others left you to finish alone and place the pin it would be a bit rude imo. unless of course that person was delaying the hole group and was problematic.

If there is money on the line, the ball goes in the hole. That is the point of the game after all. For me personally, any score I intend to post to handicap will also be putted out. That is just me.

Otherwise if it's just a goof off round, I may or may not pick up. And if I am not playing the others in the group for anything, I won't ever tell them what to do.

I did have one time this got to be a problem, the guy I was playing a match for $20 wanted to pick up a 5 footer on the first hole. I said no. He missed the putt, and ended the match right there. That was the last time we played together. I don't miss him.

I would think a simple "I'm going to use this score for handicapping purposes, so prefer to do it on the level." would suffice. No need to go through any other sort of justification, lecture on losing putting skills if not put into practice, etc etc. If it doesn't, a simple ignore him while you line up and make your putt should get the point across.

One thing that really ticks me off is when people feel the need to "explain things" to me. I'm not an idiot, and if I didn't ask for the explanation, chances are it's unappreciated. When that happens, I'll usually keep doing the offending behavior because well ... it's going to annoy them.

All I did was explain quickly and precisely how I wanted to make my 3 footers because I can lose touch for them. It wasn't the long drawn out explanation I wrote down in more detail in the opening post. But I did have to do it twice as another reminder was needed. Thats when his buddy (almost in my defense) said that when they are all together with their normal group they putt out everything. That's the part that made me think about the rare times things like this happen and one only feels things rae important when its important only to them. I am not crying over this and quite frankly I would have no issue playing with him again. We had a good time over all. Just that tiny bit of righteousness that sometimes kreeps upon individuals that sort of bothers me.

If the ladies would give me putts like some of the guys do, I would be in single digits by now! No gimmes for the gals. They are hard core. I took a Dave Pelz short game class the other day and the instructor even joked about how ladies don't give putts.

If the ladies would give me putts like some of the guys do, I would be in single digits by now! No gimmes for the gals. They are hard core. I took a Dave Pelz short game class the other day and the instructor even joked about how ladies don't give putts.

Same thing at my former club and the club my parents are members at. You will literally watch them mark and line up 6 inch putts.

I learned to just let you putt out KB! Gotta get you prepared for your rounds with your ladies!

We don't do "thats good" in any groups I play with. We putt everything out as it should be. I had a four footer last year for eagle and had a guy kick it to me calling it good. When I got done, my guess is he will never do that again.

We don't do "thats good" in any groups I play with. We putt everything out as it should be. I had a four footer last year for eagle and had a guy kick it to me calling it good. When I got done, my guess is he will never do that again.

Oh I would be pissed if that ever happened. I would put that ball right back and finish it out. It's not often I get chances at birdies, let alone eagles. I want to earn every one.

Oh man, that would make me furious. You only get to drop eagle putts so many times!!

I only give putts to my opponent. If there are others in the group its up to them if they want to putt out - I'll never tell them its good. Usuallly, by the 2nd or 3rd hole you know their playing style, If they chip one close or nearly make a long putt I'll ask if they want it or want to finish it. It definitely saves time not waiting for someone to come on the green and tap one in. However, in competition I think its more of a courtesy to give putts especailly the ones inside 2 ft.

If it's someone I've never played with before, a simple "That's good by my standards if you want it?" on an early hole sets the standard for the rest of the match. A simple yes or no generally works in response.

Communication is key.

Back