Shaft help for Epic sub zero please

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok so I am thinking about paying for an up charge shaft for epic sub zero. I know only way to truly know for sure is to hit the shaft options but I'm just interested to see what insight I can get here first. For starters, shaft importance, scale of 1-10, 10 being the most important aspect of setup; 1 being not important at all, where is it at for you guys?

Next, Ive heard a lot about graphite design ad-di and project x hzrdous. I know there are 8-9 different manufacturers available. I need an x stiff shaft I think? Swing speed 116-119ish.

Current setup is XR16, standard length, aldila rogue silver 70 x 2.8.

Flight tendencies are starts low and rises to sort of balloon off or high draw.

So...

Sight unseen, if you could recommend 3 shafts, what would they be? Or which are thought to be the best? What should I look for?

I know it's different for everyone but when I go to hit some, I am trying to figure out a starting point. The past few years I've just kind of used whatever came with the driver, but did pay $100 for the current shaft I think.

Is it possible to have high launch/low spin? Or is mid launch ideal? I prefer carry more than roll, but distance is distance. Sorry for the book, I will take any help or insight, I am not very knowledgeable on shafts at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone has changed shafts, or switch shafts a lot, what's your setup, specs, and you swing speed and ball flight? Have you seen a difference? Looking for anything here. I've read a few shaft threads here just trying to get a better idea. Thanks in advance.

It's not Callaway, or Epic specific, but I find the Titleist shaft fitting guide a good place to start: http://www.titleist.com/shafts

You can find the shafts you're currently familiar with and then go from there based on whether you're looking for increased (or decreased) launch & spin.

As always though, make your best effort to either try them in person or be fit whenever possible.

HZRDUS Black might be right up your alley.

I would put shaft choice at 8 on a scale of 1-10. At your swing speed, I'd tend to agree on the x-flex, although tempo does play a role, and that's tough to quantify. If your set on one of the upcharge shafts, the project x black in 6.5 seems like a good starting point, but if it were me, I'd want to be darn sure that none of the no-upcharge offerings were a fit. Best of luck!

I would put shaft choice at 8 on a scale of 1-10. At your swing speed, I'd tend to agree on the x-flex, although tempo does play a role, and that's tough to quantify. If your set on one of the upcharge shafts, the project x black in 6.5 seems like a good starting point, but if it were me, I'd want to be darn sure that none of the no-upcharge offerings were a fit. Best of luck!

I'm definitely not married to an upcharge, actually to your point I hope one of the no upcharge shafts works the best, just wondering if there is a major difference between the two I guess. If there is a major consistency difference or something, feel, etc. i know it's personal preference however I've never even swung any of the upcharge shafts so I didn't know if there was a night and day difference. $250 for the graphite design and hzrdous vs no upcharge for any aldila? Why?

In many cases I'm sure the up charge shafts are worth it, but for me I've never been unable to find a stock offering that wouldn't fit me well enough. 250 bucks would have to net me twice as many fairways and 25 yards

I've read on this forum several times that head design matters way more than shaft for performance. So I don't know, maybe 4???

I would start with the stock X Flex shaft. Then maybe try a HZRDUS option. Then maybe the same shaft you are currently gaming, if it is available.

In many cases I'm sure the up charge shafts are worth it, but for me I've never been unable to find a stock offering that wouldn't fit me well enough. 250 bucks would have to net me twice as many fairways and 25 yards

Agreed. I didn't know if that is what some people find in the upcharge shafts? We will see. I'd sell off my first born for 25 more yards...

Kidding... seriously I was.

For no upcharge, if you are looking for something with similar characteristics to the HXRDUS black maybe look at Matrix 7m3(Black tie) or Diamana D+(Whiteboard)

In my fittings we have gotten a good idea on shaft (weight/torque/launch characteristics) then determined best head and then ideal combination of head and shaft.

If you already know you are getting the Epic than the shaft is 10 of 10 for how you will dial in best performance. If you are open to different heads I think the shaft is maybe half of the equation (somewhere around that).

Also, if you want higher launch with low spin you could always go with a higher lofted head and a low spin shaft. But going up in loft will add some spin, the Sub Zero I believe many saw lower spin with than the standard model, but that will also depend on the weight configuration.

Of the options that Callaway has available I would say keep your current shaft (since you can plug it in pretty easily to the Epic as they have the same adaptor) then the Aldila Rogue max 75 XS (no uncharge) one of the HZRDUS probably the black (+$250), the Matrix Black Tie (no uncharge) or possibly the Graphite Design AD DI7 (+$250). That is just going off of your swing speed and the fact that you are looking to lower spin.

To be really honest if you can do it go get a fitting because while the expensive shafts work really well for some, for just as many others the "standard" options work just as well or better. More expensive doesn't always equal better.

For no upcharge, if you are looking for something with similar characteristics to the HXRDUS black maybe look at Matrix 7m3(Black tie) or Diamana D+(Whiteboard)

Thank you! I will definitely hit these when I compare shafts. I appreciate the insight.

Totally spaced on the Whiteboard, that is a great call.

In my fittings we have gotten a good idea on shaft (weight/torque/launch characteristics) then determined best head and then ideal combination of head and shaft.

If you already know you are getting the Epic than the shaft is 10 of 10 for how you will dial in best performance. If you are open to different heads I think the shaft is maybe half of the equation (somewhere around that).

Also, if you want higher launch with low spin you could always go with a higher lofted head and a low spin shaft. But going up in loft will add some spin, the Sub Zero I believe many saw lower spin with than the standard model, but that will also depend on the weight configuration.

Of the options that Callaway has available I would say keep your current shaft (since you can plug it in pretty easily to the Epic as they have the same adaptor) then the Aldila Rogue max 75 XS (no uncharge) one of the HZRDUS probably the black (+$250), the Matrix Black Tie (no uncharge) or possibly the Graphite Design AD DI7 (+$250). That is just going off of your swing speed and the fact that you are looking to lower spin.

To be really honest if you can do it go get a fitting because while the expensive shafts work really well for some, for just as many others the "standard" options work just as well or better. More expensive doesn't always equal better.

Hey mancest, Thanks for the detailed response. I really appreciate it. I'm trading in my XR for epic is why I know I'm getting that head and now choosing shaft. I hit it past mine with the 75xs you mentioned and I liked that shaft fine. I prefer the so to the standard epic. I just also wanted to get opinions about the upcharge shafts as I typically never hit them, due to the upcharge.

On the whiteboard, is that an xs shaft?

The D+/whiteboard does come in X-Stiff.

If I'm going to spend time testing shafts I would schedule a fitting to let an expert put me in the right combo. SS is only one aspect of determing a shaft. How one swings to include load, transition, release are all going to play into what shaft works with a head best for one person.

I have shafts that I know have worked for me in the past and I try them first if just testing or tell the fitter what I like. The go from there. Spending $500+ I'm getting fit to optimize my results

There's something like 20 shafts in the 60-77 gram for no up-charge. I'd be shocked if a custom fitting wouldn't put you into one of those.

I'd check out the Granddaddy thread from last year. Think a couple of guys came out with non-stock offerings, but for the most part the fitters were able to get them into something

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hey mancest, Thanks for the detailed response. I really appreciate it. I'm trading in my XR for epic is why I know I'm getting that head and now choosing shaft. I hit it past mine with the 75xs you mentioned and I liked that shaft fine. I prefer the so to the standard epic. I just also wanted to get opinions about the upcharge shafts as I typically never hit them, due to the upcharge.

On the whiteboard, is that an xs shaft?

Totally makes sense on the trade in. If you want to try out multiple shafts you can always check with others on here since a lot of us go through shafts like many people change underpants and luckily a lot of them have Callaway adaptors on them.

Good luck on finding what gets you the best results!

I appreciate all thee responses here, thanks again guys.

Back