Yellow Traffic Light

hackernation

One shot at a time
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you speed up to pass it or slow down to stop? Today, I was at a intersection making a left after waiting for on coming cars to pass, as I was making that left turn a car speeding towards me trying to beat the yellow light honks as he passes behind me like I was at fault...WTH :angry:

Some people just needs to chill out and slow down, honking your horn when the light turns green won't get you anywhere any quicker.

Do you speed up to pass it or slow down to stop? Today, I was at a intersection making a left after waiting for on coming cars to pass, as I was making that left turn a car speeding towards me trying to beat the yellow light honks as he passes behind me like I was at fault...WTH :angry:

Some people just needs to chill out and slow down, honking your horn when the light turns green won't get you anywhere any quicker.
I stop unless I was entering the intersection as it changed to yellow

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

if it is not green , by law you have to stop

if it is not green , by law you have to stop

I mean.. It was green at one point.

Our lights here have about 5 seconds between yellow and red. I judge what I do based on how far I am away when it turns yellow, and if someone is following me.

If I can stop without hitting the brakes HARD then I stop. If not I usually just coast on through.
If I see someone in the oncoming lane trying to left turn across my lane I will usually stop anyways. I like to assume they won't wait for me to decide.

Yellow Traffic Light

If I can stop safely without stamping on the anchors, then I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It depends how close I am to the light and how hard I have to hit my breaks to stop.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It really depends, don't want to be unsafe either way. If I have to slam on the brakes to stop then I will roll through, if I have sufficient time to stop I always stop.

I see too much crazy driving around here to even mess around. I see many cars (and even city buses) running not yellows but full on reds.

I mean.. It was green at one point.

Our lights here have about 5 seconds between yellow and red. I judge what I do based on how far I am away when it turns yellow, and if someone is following me.

Exactly this. It depends. A lot of times you literally cant stop safely or without slamming on your brakes.

It really depends, don't want to be unsafe either way. If I have to slam on the brakes to stop then I will roll through, if I have sufficient time to stop I always stop.

I see too much crazy driving around here to even mess around. I see many cars (and even city buses) running not yellows but full on reds.

Yep same

But what it was your neighbor that blocks your driveway? Just playing

I've been pulled over numerous times while "running a red light" that was yellow. The officers have each told me that it means "prepare to stop"... I am never prepared.

But what it was your neighbor that blocks your driveway? Just playing

I will call the police and wait 8 hours for them to possibly show up. Also good to see you have plenty of time to stalk my posts and go back months... worried about something?

I will call the police and wait 8 hours for them to possibly show up. Also good to see you have plenty of time to stalk my posts and go back months... worried about something?

Actually I was trying to be engaging and figured in a thread I don't really have much to add I would engage someone that I thought I knew and continue the conversation with. Evidently I caught you on a bad night.

Actually I was trying to be engaging and figured in a thread I don't really have much to add I would engage someone that I thought I knew and continue the conversation with. Evidently I caught you on a bad night.

Nah bro, I took what I assumed was some good natured shade and tried to reciprocate.. apparently failing badly. Sorry if you were offended, I ain't got no hate, especially not for you my man.

Nah bro, I took what I assumed was some good natured shade and tried to reciprocate.. apparently failing badly. Sorry if you were offended, I ain't got no hate, especially not for you my man.

No shade from me my man. I remember the fiasco you had to with your neighbor and thought you would say something like "I would gun it and let that ..... figure it out and slam on the breaks."

I have been known to run some lights that were orange. You know, the color the light turns just before it goes from yellow to red.

When I younger, I hit the gas at signs of yellow. My old a$$ goes with the brake now.

This isn't a yes/no, black/white question. I do my best to stop when it's safe to do so.

[I'd have a different answer if you asked me 15 years ago when I was a pizza delivery guy in college]

Someone in front of me on a 55 mph road was about to go through the light that just changed, she had second thoughts and slammed on the brakes. Luckily there was no one in the lane next to me. I changed lanes and the Mustang behind her smashed right into her. The impact from that hit slightly bumped my car. Both the other cars were totaled.
So, no hard rule for me. Just be aware of your surroundings. Like others have said, if you have to slam on the brakes, don't do it. If you need to floor it to get through the light, probably not a good idea, either.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Depends on where I am, how fast I'm going, who's behind me, etc. There's some lights near my house that the bulk of people driving to UMass go through, and there's college kids flying through there all the time. I know if it's turning yellow I'm going to slow down and someone's going to blow right past me, even if it's been red for a few seconds.

Unless it turns as I enter the intersection I stop. Too many bad accidents happen the other way!

If I have to slam on the brakes to stop I'll keep going. Otherwise, I'll stop.

If I can stop without hitting the brakes HARD then I stop. If not I usually just coast on through.
If I see someone in the oncoming lane trying to left turn across my lane I will usually stop anyways. I like to assume they won't wait for me to decide.

This is how I do it as well.

What I will say is a quote that my dad always used to say....

"Situations alter cases".

Back