12 month lesson plan feedback

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure if this is the right section but figured since it's about lessons the swing tips section is where I would start.

I'm looking for feedback from THPers on a lesson package I'm pondering with an instructor I have used frequently in the past 4 or so years. My goal is to get comfortable with my swing and be able to go to the course and play golf and not swing. In 2015 I felt pretty good with doing this and in 2016 it was something that came and went. I feel like I lose my swing and/or confidence mid season the last few years and then I fight to get it back.

my instructor offers a 12 month plan with 2 lessons per month for $170/month that if I understand it you get billed automatically whether you take the two lessons or not that month. His normal rate is $110/hour lesson.

i practice anywhere from 1-3 times a week and play 18 holes 2-4 times a month and 9 holes about the same so putting in work after a lesson will not be an issue. I'm not 100% sold on the idea because part of me things I'll be chasing swing all year, but I will also use the lessons for shirt game and putting as well so it won't be all full swing.

So what say you THPers would you do a package/plan like this? Would you do similar amount of lessons/month for 3 months at a smaller discount, or maybe just lessons when you feel like you need them?

How frequently are you taking lessons now? Do you want more time with the instructor? Are any of the lessons on course? I think there is good value there if you're looking for 24 lessons a year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's a good savings at $50 a month, but that means you are tied into it. What happens if you get hurt?
Or what happens if he gets sick and can't accommodate the only days you are available?

Would his lessons be an hour long each time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How frequently are you taking lessons now? Do you want more time with the instructor? Are any of the lessons on course? I think there is good value there if you're looking for 24 lessons a year.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Right now I usually take 1-2 early in the year to get straightened out after winter break. I am kind of thinking of more time with an instructor and really looking for a swing coach and someone I can work with regularly to make tweaks if I get wonky but to get better. I have a hdcp goal in mind I want to get to.

It's a good savings at $50 a month, but that means you are tied into it. What happens if you get hurt?
Or what happens if he gets sick and can't accommodate the only days you are available?

The savings/month is what peaked my interest in the program plus the ability to use an indoor studio to work on the swing during the winter when outdoor hitting is not possible for weeks at a time(I know move to Florida already).

He is very close to my house and my schedule is pretty flexible and he isn't gone for any long periods of time and having a good relationship with him already I know he will work with me if his trips/vacations affect scheduling. The injury part isn't something I considered. The moving to Florida part which you know is my goal and working with the wife to convince is something I plan to ask him about if I were to move or vice versa he left what happens.

Would his lessons be an hour long each time?

Yes they are 1 hour long, he does the discount because it's guaranteed whether someone uses or not. The 3 month package is $200 for two lessons vice the $220 if one booked them individually during the month

Yeah the yearly rate would save you $600 and I think you could find two hours every month. That doesn't seem like a bad deal. Will you work on your short game with him as well? IMHO everyone can improve on their short game to some degree.

Looks like a good deal if you are motivated this year. I like JB's question about scheduling, what if he has to cancel or you have to cancel and the month runs out. Is he willing to push lessons into the next month as long as it only happens once or twice??

Yeah the yearly rate would save you $600 and I think you could find two hours every month. That doesn't seem like a bad deal. Will you work on your short game with him as well? IMHO everyone can improve on their short game to some degree.

Yes short game would be a focus of lessons. In 2015 we focused on scoring for 6 lessons and did some swing work. We spent 1/4 of the lesson or so maybe longer in they first couple on my swing then it was putting and short game. 2 lessons were done on track an to do the combine

Looks like a good deal if you are motivated this year. I like JB's question about scheduling, what if he has to cancel or you have to cancel and the month runs out. Is he willing to push lessons into the next month as long as it only happens once or twice??

I think that flexibility is there and is something i plan to ask. Based on my past experience with him there are only a few weeks out of the year where he isn't here. Being a mile or so from my house allows me flexibility for lunch time or after work lessons during the week or a sat lesson.

I think that flexibility is there and is something i plan to ask. Based on my past experience with him there are only a few weeks out of the year where he isn't here. Being a mile or so from my house allows me flexibility for lunch time or after work lessons during the week or a sat lesson.

Agree. If you trust him, like him, he's wiling to work with you on scheduling conflicts and your ready to make 2017 great then it sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

The part I don't like is we don't know what his availability is / will be.

My home course offers a big discount like this when you buy a package. It was great. Except that it started getting so hard to use the lessons that they didn't help me as much as they should have. "He's got an opening Wednesday at 1pm" does you no good if you work enough to actually pay for the lessons.

Agree. If you trust him, like him, he's wiling to work with you on scheduling conflicts and your ready to make 2017 great then it sounds like a pretty good plan to me.

Agree with this opinion

Thanks. It's the way I'm leaning. My concerns are more based around constantly playing swing. I'm planning to talk to him this week hopefully about the program, what my goals are and to make sure the lessons will/can be focused on what I want based on where my game is at that moment. I'm really looking more for coaching than "instructor" kind of similar to what pros have with their coaches where they work on specific things.

I've confided in a couple friends already on the subject and since I wasn't 100% decided on what direction im headed I figured why not get THPers input as well.

Thanks. It's the way I'm leaning. My concerns are more based around constantly playing swing. I'm planning to talk to him this week hopefully about the program, what my goals are and to make sure the lessons will/can be focused on what I want based on where my game is at that moment. I'm really looking more for coaching than "instructor" kind of similar to what pros have with their coaches where they work on specific things.

I've confided in a couple friends already on the subject and since I wasn't 100% decided on what direction im headed I figured why not get THPers input as well.

To me instructors are personal.....I really have to like/respect the instructor before I start taking in what they are trying to do.

Thanks. It's the way I'm leaning. My concerns are more based around constantly playing swing.

You swing changes should become smaller unless you are trying to do a swing overhaul. Also you will be focusing on other areas if you game so it won't all be full swing based lessons.

Not sure if this is the right section but figured since it's about lessons the swing tips section is where I would start.

I'm looking for feedback from THPers on a lesson package I'm pondering with an instructor I have used frequently in the past 4 or so years. My goal is to get comfortable with my swing and be able to go to the course and play golf and not swing. In 2015 I felt pretty good with doing this and in 2016 it was something that came and went. I feel like I lose my swing and/or confidence mid season the last few years and then I fight to get it back.

my instructor offers a 12 month plan with 2 lessons per month for $170/month that if I understand it you get billed automatically whether you take the two lessons or not that month. His normal rate is $110/hour lesson.

i practice anywhere from 1-3 times a week and play 18 holes 2-4 times a month and 9 holes about the same so putting in work after a lesson will not be an issue. I'm not 100% sold on the idea because part of me things I'll be chasing swing all year, but I will also use the lessons for shirt game and putting as well so it won't be all full swing.

So what say you THPers would you do a package/plan like this? Would you do similar amount of lessons/month for 3 months at a smaller discount, or maybe just lessons when you feel like you need them?

I'll be honest, if I had someone that I got along with that well at a rate like that, I would be totally in. Two per month with as much as I play and practice would really aid me in ingraining the changes needed. Plus, I'm a big long term accountability guy, and knowing I'm in for a full year would aid in my desire to not disappoint myself or the instructor.

I'll be honest, if I had someone that I got along with that well at a rate like that, I would be totally in. Two per month with as much as I play and practice would really aid me in ingraining the changes needed. Plus, I'm a big long term accountability guy, and knowing I'm in for a full year would aid in my desire to not disappoint myself or the instructor.

I totally agree with this. Long term accountability to keep up with what you learn could really be beneficial.

I would commit to three months at the discounted rate, then see where I'm at and if needed continue three more.

Once I'm comfortable I would check in with him once a month and make sure I'm good or even see about a playing lesson

If you have the time, go for it. I'm doing a 6 month Golftec. I'm in month 4 and I still need a watchful eye for ugly swing habits that creep back in. 3 months is ok but imho 6 months or 12 months is much better.

To me instructors are personal.....I really have to like/respect the instructor before I start taking in what they are trying to do.

I'm the same way. I've researched the other two instructors and had recommendations from THPers on them before I'm took a lesson. I was looking for a different voice/perspective at the time from the guy who is offering this package to see if something clicked for me. Both were able to help me sort things out the last two years just from seeing it differently.

This guy has helped me get from a 20+ cap down to a mid cap and we have good communication and feedback during the lessons so the comfortably and respect is there. I can be honest with him in what I'm feeling/thinking and if something isn't working.

You swing changes should become smaller unless you are trying to do a swing overhaul. Also you will be focusing on other areas if you game so it won't all be full swing based lessons.

This is where my long term thoughts are and that i can base lessons on things im seeing on the course/range and may the tweak to get me back and not have to constantly start fresh

You are definitely in my head right now. I have some goals I want to accomplish and having someone there to tweak when i get wonky, the accountability that likely every other week I'm going to see him and have progressed checked as well as the financial side being locked in. My mind set is really on the long term coaching and not a lesson here or there once the self correcting frustration settles in is where I want to go.

I would commit to three months at the discounted rate, then see where I'm at and if needed continue three more.

Once I'm comfortable I would check in with him once a month and make sure I'm good or even see about a playing lesson

I've considered this approach and prior to the weekend I was probably 50/50 between the three months and the 12 months. The playing lesson is something I've done with him before and while it wasn't mentioned in the package it's something I want to do a couple times this year. I haven't looked at any other packages he is offering this year but in the past he has had some that included 9 hole lessons.

If you like the guy and trust that he will work with you, then I'm in the "go for it" camp. I'm a big fan of lessons though and long term work/goals.

You're dropping 2k on lessons over the course of a year. For 1/2 that you can really dialed in. That would be about 9 lessons at his reg rate. You don't need more than that. One lesson every two weeks with practice between. You don't have that much to adjust in your swing to play a higher level. I would not invest in his package. It's over kill and you'll be dialed in well before the year is up if your practice correctly

#TEAMSNELL aka #TeamGreen

You're dropping 2k on lessons over the course of a year. For 1/2 that you can really dialed in. That would be about 9 lessons at his reg rate. You don't need more than that. One lesson every two weeks with practice between. You don't have that much to adjust in your swing to play a higher level. I would not invest in his package. It's over kill and you'll be dialed in well before the year is up if your practice correctly

#TEAMSNELL aka #TeamGreen

Thanks I was hoping you would chime in and I feel like swing is close. One of my thought is for the lessons to just nog be about swing big short game technique and learning to hit different shots. Other thought was having the commitment and accountability during the winter months where I can work on maintaining the swing and not get lazy because I can't get to the range due to temps and/or snow. I was planning to talk to him about some sort of long term plan when I came across this package on his suet as I was researching the changes to his teaching packages.

I appreciate everyone who has weighed in as something's weren't in my thought process or gave a different take to what I was thinking and your knowledge and experience as a teaching pro is much appreciated.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I reached out to my instructor to see if he could do a 6 month package at a reduced rate than what he has for 3 month plans. He agreed and we start in April with 2 lessons/month.

Good call. I'm in month 4 and had my best ever range session yesterday. I think 3 months is too short. Panda nailed it with the 6 month idea.

Back