Butch Harmon backswing tip from Greg Norman.

tahoebum

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I've been working on a larger hip turn since last year and it's finally becoming permanent. Here's a concise summary from Butch who always keeps it simple. I don't always agree with Brandel Chamblee and find him annoying at times, but his book The Anatomy of Greatness does a great job of covering this topic in more detail.I started this quest for a larger hip turn to take pressure off my back now that I've passed the age 50 milestone but what's it's given me is improved contact, dispersion, and consistency. I've only played about 10 rounds since incorporating this change last October and have had some of the best ball striking and lowest scoring rounds of my last couple decades.

One of my buddies who I've played over 500 rounds with since we met in 1988 was out from Minnesota to play over the weekend and we had some bad luck with the weather but played 6 rounds in soggy, windy conditions. His comment to me was he had never seen me hit it so good. It's all due to me getting this larger hip turn engrained.

The Right Way to Add Turn

Greg Norman's backswing key was brilliant

By Butch Harmon

Photos by Getty Images

Greg-Norman-1986-British-Open.jpg

Greg Norman shows off his big turn at the 1986 British Open at Turnberry.

I hear so much talk these days about making a full shoulder turn but restricting the hips. The thing is, most players need more hip turn to make a decent backswing. Even Greg Norman, who I worked with for years, focused on turning his hips, and he was the best driver I've ever seen.
Greg's swing thought on the backswing was, Right pocket back. That meant turning his right-front pant pocket behind him (above). He later simplified it to RPB, and that often was his last thought before starting his swing. For Greg, it allowed him to maximize his range of motion going back, but it has the added benefit of preventing a sway to the right--a common amateur fault. The sway not only reduces power, it makes it tough to get back in position to hit the ball.
If you think you need more windup--or you're drifting off the ball--try Greg's RPB. It'll free up your backswing and get you ripping your tee shots.

Last edited:
He said this many years ago. I still think it's true.

Interesting, I really like Butch's approach to the simplification of many of his tips. I plan to try this next time I hit.

As someone who struggles with this I love this simple thought. Thanks for sharing this!

Back