Remember the Tommy Armour 845's!

pattyboy21

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
845%20irons_zpsdemuw4fy.png

These were some damn good irons back in the early 90's. It seemed like everyone, including me, gamed these at some point back then.

For $79.97 at Sports Authority, I'd have to recommend these to any newbies looking for a quality set of irons at a good price!

Pretty cool IMO. I have a set of originals and still enjoy playing with them every once in awhile.

Made by John Hoeflich and they were his first ever design. A few interviews with him on the thp home page.

Sadly now the brand is a house brand and not the well thought out and designed brand they once were.

A guy I play my weekly game with still plays an original set. They were a great set

I had some 845 silver scot irons as my first set. Gamed them for over 10 years. Now I can't keep an iron set in the bag for a season... Times change.

Made by John Hoeflich and they were his first ever design. A few interviews with him on the thp home page.

Sadly now the brand is a house brand and not the well thought out and designed brand they once were.

Do you think these irons at Sports Authority are the same original design? I did notice they are stamped "845-C Classic" as opposed to the 845-S I think they used to be.

Do you think these irons at Sports Authority are the same original design? I did notice they are stamped "845-C Classic" as opposed to the 845-S I think they used to be.

No, there are definitely some changes.
I can also say, that Hoeffy himself would be the 1st person to tell you that technology has added so much to what they are able to do right now.

I have a buddy that still games his original set, he loves them.

was my very first set of golf clubs, really wish I would have kept them

When I was getting back into the game around 2000 / 2001, it came down to these or the X-14s I eventually went with. Wasn't a whole lot between them, I think I went Cally because they were newer.
Still see these in some bags. One of the few sets that people seem to hang on to.

Id actually like to hit those. Did u pick them up? How did they feel?

Id actually like to hit those. Did u pick them up? How did they feel?

I didn't; I was just surprised by the price and thought I'd share because these irons were so popular back then.

I didn't; I was just surprised by the price and thought I'd share because these irons were so popular back then.
Ohh dang. Gotcha. Im going to Sports Authority to try them

That was a hard set to part with. I hit a lot of good shots with those. I think we all have a set that mean something more to us. I played a lot more golf in those days.Played with a great group of guys.

I did not play those clubs, but a lot of my friends, and my boss, gamed them. Quite well, IIRC...
Good club back in the day.

The Sports Authority versions really look cheap..not in a good way. I still have my 845 Oversize (circa '99)--just replaced them the end of last year with Speedblades. The new stuff is certainly more forgiving..but, at least to my crappy swing, not much more so.

What a great classic set of irons.

Back