Do you feel like you have to fill every club gap?

choppstixxx

AK Look-a-like
Reaction score
Handicap

Do you feel you have to have a consistent amount of gaps between each/every club in your bag?

I came to this crossroad recently after finalizing the top end of my bag (driver, wood, hybrid). However the gap between my 5i, hybrid (5H) and then my wood (4W) is a relatively larger gap. I hit my 5i around 155-160yds then my 5H goes anywhere from 175-180ish. So there is a small discrepancy when I come across a 160-170 yd shot where I am either short or long and my 5H can't be adjusted any weaker :0( Also a lesser issue is between my 5H and 4W (hit it about 200-210ish). Where if say I needed to hit a 190-200 yd shot I don't really have a club to do that. But in all honesty I rather come up short and hit a confident 5H, rather than roll the dice with my 4W.

Last edited:
I'm fairly happy with my gaps, as long as my swing is sort of OK that day.

I try to fill the gaps as I'm distance challenged to begin with. I can't afford to have holes where my scoring clubs are involved.

No. I go from 3w to 4h. Everything from 4h thru 58* wedge is 'properly' gapped though. Occasionally I wish I had a 3h or 5w in my bag, but it's rare, and typically has no effect on my scoring.

~Rock

I do. I try to anyways. That way I feel like all my distances are covered.

No. I go from 3w to 4h. Everything from 4h thru 58* wedge is 'properly' gapped though. Occasionally I wish I had a 3h or 5w in my bag, but it's rare, and typically has no effect on my scoring.

~Rock
Def. the way I feel, obviously this thread is geared more towards the top or bottom of your bag. But many (including me) have the preconceived notion of having a club for every 10yd gap, when sometimes less is more.

I feel like mine are even though I go from 4W to 4I. Very comfortable from top to bottom for me. :clapp:

Even though a gap may not be needed on a course, my practice routine covers most. Pretty comfortable with choosing a club for most gaps and what I want to do.

I am pretty confident in the way my gapping is set up. I am with you where I would rather be a little short with a club that I am confident in.

On the lower end of the bag I feel I need to be properly gapped, but not on the high end. I carry 3 wood, 4 hybrid and 5 iron at the high end. As long as I can get into the wedge area, that's where it matters most for my game.

I try to keep a 10-15 yard gap between my clubs without having any overlap. And if I'm in between distances then it's usually take the longer club and either choke down or swing shorter and smoother.

Yes I do. Just cut down my 5 wood and my hybrid to make them exactly where I need/want them to be.

Yes I make concerted effort to make sure I have my gaps spaced out properly. I recently made changes at the top of my bag to do just that.

Yes I make concerted effort to make sure I have my gaps spaced out properly. I recently made changes at the top of my bag to do just that.

I did the exact same. Made changes over the last year and a half to gap everything nicely. Now it's about getting comfortable with the clubs.

Do you feel like you have to have a consistent amount of gaps between each/every club in your bag?

No
For my game, I can use less that full swings or choke down on bigger clubs, plus move up and down a club using that method to fill in gaps

Just bought new irons but the gaps seem to be pretty good right now. During my fitting my gaps were about 10-15 yards. My next challenge is to get my gaps throughout my bag determined and corrected if needed.

Once I learn my gaps properly maybe, but for now I'm doing OK with the gaps I have found.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I think it pretty amazing how having one more club would probably fill most everyone's gap that is somewhere in their bag line-up. A few years ago I gave up a gap at the long end due to adding a 60* LW to my bag. I wouldn't want a gap at any place where hitting a green is a real possibility like from say under 200. But since there is no perfect setup I chose to leave the gap at the long end where my 5w is no longer part of my bag. I could probably go with a 4w and do away with my 3h for a happy medium back there. But honestly even a happy medium is not perfect anyway. Soon as you think you don't need anything or its no big deal, it then becomes one when the time arises..lol. What can ya do?

I don't want any large gaps, however I have a decent sized one between my hybrid and 3 metal. Outside of that, my irons are a pretty consistent 10 yards difference in carry distances from 4 iron down to PW. I'm currently working on tracking my wedges below that.

I have larger gaps at the top of the bag from Driver to 2 iron, but then everything is more consistent. I'd rather have more wedges and tighter gaps in the scoring clubs than tighter gaps in the distance clubs.

I try to keep my gaps manageable. If one at the top it a bit larger I am ok with that as form 180 plus I'm not even thinking of trying for the pin. Right now I have a similar dilemma, 5w goes 180-190 and 4h goes about 25 yards shorter, which is also about what my 5h does. so I have two clubs overlapping and a large gap.

I feel I have a club for every yardage I could face on the course. Now what I feel and what actually happens are usually quite different, however we're getting better.

I have 3 clubs that I can play > 200 yards (Driver/3W/3h) and 3 clubs < 100 yards (50/54/58) and my gaps 100-200 are covered. My 4h can take me just over 200 and my 50* GW can push out to 120. Frankly, I could lose my 54* as there's only a small band that it does that my 58* can't and I could probably make my 50* cover that band.

If I had a gap >100 and <200, I would figure out how to get it covered (either with a club or a swing).

I always try to,the scoring clubs for sure. Higher clubs I do not mind a larger gap

Sent from my SM-G900W8

i don't mind big gaps at the top end of my bag. a slight mishit with a longer club will produce a big of a gap. so if i try to squeeze something in between my 4h and 4w, i could mishit it and get 4h distance out of it which seems like a waste. so i guess the answer is "no" i don't feel like i have to fill every gap. there's also a floor for full-swing gaps, where you can't fill gaps below a certain distance. would you want a full swing club for a 30 yard shot?

Back