Feeling uncomfortable with my putter

PizzaBear

Reaction score
Handicap
N/A
So over the last few rounds I suddenly feel really uncomfortable with my putter, I just never feel like i'm lined up properly and that I'm pushing the ball left all the time. Then I try to correct right and it goes way right and way over hit it

I'm not putting terribly but I'm not putting great

Anyone had this happen? Do I just play through it?

Time for a new putter!! .

I think it happens to everyone. Back to basics, do some drills, practice putting wherever you can.

Time for a new putter!! .

I think it happens to everyone. Back to basics, do some drills, practice putting wherever you can.

I've been practicing more than ever and it seems to have made it worse :S

Try a SeeMore.

+2 on a putter fitting. It can help.

Maybe go hit some new putters and see if one gives you some better feel. You could also get a putter fitting so you can be that much more confident while on the greens.

Do like me and save others on the forum and have plenty of options. If one doesn't feel right, grab one of the others.

Seriously, SeeMore putters are great for alignment assistance and a fitting certainly would not hurt.

I've been practicing more than ever and it seems to have made it worse :S

What are you practicing and what is your approach to putting?

Definitely go some where and try every putter you can. I see a few people mentioned SeeMore and I would also look at Cleveland 2135 series, as they have great alignment aids also.

I like a drill where I line three balls up away from the hole. One ball about 2 feet away, one about 6, and one about 10 feet away. Start by making the two footer, then move back to 6, and eventually 10. If you miss a putt, you have to start over (back to the 2 footer).

Sometimes this helps me when I feel like my stroke isn't right.

What are you practicing and what is your approach to putting?

I do that thing where you pick a flat surface then have two markers just wider than the ball so the ball needs to travel straight, do that from 3 6 and 9 ft

Then I go to the hillier green-and try to practice my green reading and go in a circle of the holes

If you are going to buy a putter don't overlook the 2135 line, which has the aim technology. If you miss left or right with a 2135 you know it's the Indian and not the arrow.

I do that thing where you pick a flat surface then have two markers just wider than the ball so the ball needs to travel straight, do that from 3 6 and 9 ft

Then I go to the hillier green-and try to practice my green reading and go in a circle of the holes

Your first drill is working on starting the ball on intended line. That is the first skill you need to master to be good at putting. How do you do rolling the ball through the gate? How far are you from the gate when you are putting? Ideally just put a dime on the floor or green about 20" in front of the ball. Using different length strokes roll the ball over the dime. If you can do that successfully the problem isn't the putter or your stroke.

Your first drill is working on starting the ball on intended line. That is the first skill you need to master to be good at putting. How do you do rolling the ball through the gate? How far are you from the gate when you are putting? Ideally just put a dime on the floor or green about 20" in front of the ball. Using different length strokes roll the ball over the dime. If you can do that successfully the problem isn't the putter or your stroke.

I have a gate every about every 1.5ft from 3 foot it's fine but I hit the left lip of the hole, 6 foot out and I'm hitting the gate at 3ft on the left. I feel like I try to make a tiny correction right and it just does the same the opposite way.

I've never been a fantastic putter but up until the last 2 weeks I was better than this and I felt comfortable with my putter, now nothing feels right. I don't know if I'm just putting pressure on myself now I'm on greens for birdies or pars rather than double bogeys but yeah I don't feel right

I have a gate every about every 1.5ft from 3 foot it's fine but I hit the left lip of the hole, 6 foot out and I'm hitting the gate at 3ft on the left. I feel like I try to make a tiny correction right and it just does the same the opposite way.

I've never been a fantastic putter but up until the last 2 weeks I was better than this and I felt comfortable with my putter, now nothing feels right. I don't know if I'm just putting pressure on myself now I'm on greens for birdies or pars rather than double bogeys but yeah I don't feel right

You really only need one gate. Pick your line and focus on hitting your line. After you hit the ball, there isn't anything you can do anymore since the ball is already rolling.

Putting goes in streaks sometimes, i think you are just putting too much pressure on yourself. Just focus on starting the ball on your intended line.

You really only need one gate. Pick your line and focus on hitting your line. After you hit the ball, there isn't anything you can do anymore since the ball is already rolling.

Putting goes in streaks sometimes, i think you are just putting too much pressure on yourself. Just focus on starting the ball on your intended line.

OK cool, thanks :)

So over the last few rounds I suddenly feel really uncomfortable with my putter, I just never feel like i'm lined up properly and that I'm pushing the ball left all the time. Then I try to correct right and it goes way right and way over hit it

I'm not putting terribly but I'm not putting great

Anyone had this happen? Do I just play through it?

We have some good SPi instructors in Melbourne - visit one of them. You will feel much better. Send us a note at info@seemore.com and we will be happy to get you heading in the right direction.

Great thing about putters is capturing your stroke and alignment is easy on a cell phone. If you feel like your alignment is off or that you're pushing it, get onto a practice green or even during round and catch it on your phone camera.
Getting fit is never a bad idea, and shopping for a putter is fun so, if that's your aim, have at it. My guess is if something is off now that wasn't a few weeks ago, you'll be able to see it.

We have some good SPi instructors in Melbourne - visit one of them. You will feel much better. Send us a note at info@seemore.com and we will be happy to get you heading in the right direction.
Awesome! When I have a little extra spare money you'll drop you a line
Great thing about putters is capturing your stroke and alignment is easy on a cell phone. If you feel like your alignment is off or that you're pushing it, get onto a practice green or even during round and catch it on your phone camera.
Getting fit is never a bad idea, and shopping for a putter is fun so, if that's your aim, have at it. My guess is if something is off now that wasn't a few weeks ago, you'll be able to see it.
I'll give it a try!

Whatever you do don't get rid of that Cleveland. You can bench it, but don't sell or trade it!!!! I regret ruining mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we all suffer with this a bit.

A week ago I felt like I could putt from anywhere with decent success, either getting it close or in, then I played a couple of days ago and felt completely different. I just made sure my set up was right and just put it down to having an off day.

The gate drill is good, putting a tee either side of your putter head and making sure you're hitting through it.

Whatever you do don't get rid of that Cleveland. You can bench it, but don't sell or trade it!!!! I regret ruining mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At worst it would go to my dad, but would never completely get rid of it :)

Go have a lesson, it could be something simple that you just haven't realised

A fitting is all well and good, but if you have been putting well and now are struggling then it definitely sounds like it is you and not the putter, regardless of people trying to justify a new putter

Back