Confidence when playing golf

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
For my game I need to be confident in my swing. Not saying it has to be great or even good but just that I have confidence in its consistency. This plays a big role when standing on the tee. If I have any doubt about my swing and where the ball is going to go since I tend to battle a two way miss I'm not going to play well that day.

how does confidence or lack of effect your game? Which part of the game does it have the biggest impact on?

Mental game is real. Effects my putting most.

~Rock

I would agree with you! For me, it's on the tee. That's usually where I struggle if I do. If I start thinking where my ball is going to end up to much, thats usually when I slice. If I just get up there, think I got this and let it rip, she usually ends up right down the middle. Also, if I have a couple bad holes, thats where I have to take a step back and have a good laugh bc if not, I start thinking about coming back too much instead of just relaxing and letting it rip down the fairway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

No confidence or mental game = a bad day....plays a great part in my game mainly my second shots in to the green with my irons. The shank comes out once in a while when I am down and not playing well :banghead:

Confidence is a tricky thing for me. I can't fake it. I'm not good enough at golf, or consistent enough to really have confidence in anything on the course. The closest I can get is ambivalence. If I can make myself not really care, I seem to do a lot better.

I have confidence in my swing to a degree, probably just enough to get around the course. I know that any shot could be a great one but at the same time I don't let a bad shot or five shatter my confidence.

Positive thinking is important and can help maintain confidence from shot to shot.

The greatest battles you will fight on the golf course are between your ears! If you have no confidence, you may as well stay home.

Confidence is a tricky thing for me. I can't fake it. I'm not good enough at golf, or consistent enough to really have confidence in anything on the course. The closest I can get is ambivalence. If I can make myself not really care, I seem to do a lot better.

This is kind of what I was alluding to. We all play at different levels of success or consistency. Some may have a 5-10 yard fade and know that regardless if their swing gets away from them their ball is going to go left to right and it may be a little worse than avg but not too bad so they can step up to the tee and know where they will be playing their next shot from.

Others may go thru a stretch where they have no idea if ball is going to go straight, left or right and there goes their confidence.

If I'm playing without cofdience forget it. My game goes to crap.

Confidence on the first tee is generally there, but it always seems to not be very high. The first few holes dictate how much confidence the day will bring.
If the round starts off with a god drive and nice second shot, the confidence goes sky high and it generally turns into a great round.
If problems are seen during the first three holes, the confidence is rather down and I struggle with it throughout the round.

Confidence is everything for my rounds. It effect me on driver and putter the most for sure. With the driver if I get a little timid I'm going off the planet to the right. With the putter my confidence controls my distance, I may get it half way to the hole or blow it by if my confidence falters.

It matters a lot. I'm only partially confident with the driver off the tee, but enough that I've avoided trouble with it for the most part. I have zero confidence in my short game right now though and it's showing. I play a few holes almost daily with my son to help him practice (all from 200 yards). I hit the green on the first hole and made a 3 even with a 6+ foot second putt. I missed the green on the next hole (but not by more than 10 yards) and 2 chipped + 2 putted and then continued to do that for another 4 holes...the sad thing is I practiced short game for over an hour afterward and I still don't feel confident right now and I have no idea why.

Confidence is huge on the golf course. Try hitting one off the hosel during a round and see what happens...you start to question everything and your game goes in the toilet.

Man, it's so nice having you type all my posts!

I have some confidence on some shots. Like Annhl8rX, I'm a Nervous Nelly on a lot of other shots. That nervousness/lack of confidence leads to a lot of in-round swing thoughts/tweaks, grip thoughts/tweaks, and self-talk (not of the positive kind). I'm pretty confident in saying it's a common ailment amongst high-cappers.

Driver and putter. If my confidence is high here the rest of the game seems to fall into place.

My chipping is the lowest of the confidence meter which I hope to change this year.

I'm in rut with putting, something that rarely happens to me. My confidence is very low right now, which is making it worse. It's OK though because I know it only takes a few long putts or a minor epiphany for it all to come back to me. I just wish it would hurry up a little.

If you don't have confidence, you will struggle immensely; however, confidence does not directly translate to better golf shots. It provides the opportunity for your body to perform to it's greatest potential, but that potential is based on practice and nerve.

I figured out last year,the mental game plays a big role in your score. Even if I was playing bad,I kept telling myself to buckle down and more times then not it worked.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Of course, it's huge, pros miss greens and FW when they don't believe in their shots 100%, amateurs do much worse things, it's a big part of the game.

For my game I need to be confident in my swing. Not saying it has to be great or even good but just that I have confidence in its consistency. This plays a big role when standing on the tee. If I have any doubt about my swing and where the ball is going to go since I tend to battle a two way miss I'm not going to play well that day.

how does confidence or lack of effect your game? Which part of the game does it have the biggest impact on?

Biggest impact? Short game. If you lose confidence with your wedges that brings all sorts of bad things into play.

For me, if I lose confidence it's typically confidence in ball striking, especially if I get one of those silly S word shots. It can absolutely ruin rounds for me.

If I get up to the tee or putt and see it and feel it.. game on. If confidence is lacking who knows what will happen. Mental is my handicap.

For me it starts with driver.

Everything started to change for me when I started to fade the ball. 5 years ago I decided I was going to quit snap hooking 3-5 shots a round and learn to fade the ball off the tee. Everything changed for me from that point forward. With the exception of a straight pull, which rarely hurts me, I completely take the left side out of play off the tee with driver. The game is so much easier when you only have to worry about half the crap! Thus, your confidence skyrockets. Sure I would like to turn it over and hit it 15 yards farther, and about once a season I cant get that idea out of my stupid head and try to convert to a draw (dumb). I need to just realize its not worth the two way miss that comes with it for me...and the uncertainty and the crisis of confidence.

Confidence in putting came with knowing I can start puts on my intended line. That came with a switch to SeeMore and buying in to SPI. I still miss a lot of putts but its not often because I made a bad stroke.

If I hit two bad drives in a row that can get to me pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always think golf is working with myself. I have a choice to be either my own friend or enemy. Of course I choose being my own friend.

Of course, that does not happen all the time. Still I want to help myself rather than the contrary.

Biggest impact? Short game. If you lose confidence with your wedges that brings all sorts of bad things into play.

For me, if I lose confidence it's typically confidence in ball striking, especially if I get one of those silly S word shots. It can absolutely ruin rounds for me.

Short game is where I have confidence issues sometimes but it doesn't affect me nearly as lack of confidence with driver/wood swing off the tee
For me it starts with driver.

Everything started to change for me when I started to fade the ball. 5 years ago I decided I was going to quit snap hooking 3-5 shots a round and learn to fade the ball off the tee. Everything changed for me from that point forward. With the exception of a straight pull, which rarely hurts me, I completely take the left side out of play off the tee with driver. The game is so much easier when you only have to worry about half the crap! Thus, your confidence skyrockets. Sure I would like to turn it over and hit it 15 yards farther, and about once a season I cant get that idea out of my stupid head and try to convert to a draw (dumb). I need to just realize its not worth the two way miss that comes with it for me...and the uncertainty and the crisis of confidence.

Confidence in putting came with knowing I can start puts on my intended line. That came with a switch to SeeMore and buying in to SPI. I still miss a lot of putts but its not often because I made a bad stroke.

I'm moving to the fade as we'll for the same reason of removing the left side of the course

Back