Home Project- Counter Weighting Irons

rafdo

Reaction score
Handicap
Fairways
Just finished up regripping and counter weighting my irons this morning, I thought I'd post some tips just in case someone was curious on how to do this.

I used 1/2" x 2" clevis pins, paid like $2.80/each @ Lowes.

IMG_20150418_115316.jpg

You will need to wrap them in tape to achieve a snug fit & avoid any rattling.
I measured out how much I would need and laid out a template on my work bench.

IMG_20150418_115335.jpg

See wrapped clevis pin.

IMG_20150418_115459.jpg

Fit snugly into shaft end. Note- the pin adds about 1/8" to club length, not enough for it to matter for me, but just in case you may want to trim shaft as necessary.

IMG_20150418_115521.jpg

I have a small vise mounted on my work bench (from Ace hardware) with a rubber clamp for golf shafts.

IMG_20150418_120254.jpg

Wrap shaft end with double sided tape.

IMG_20150418_120606.jpg

I used mineral spirits to activate the tape and slide in the grips.
Note- don't use the "eco-friendly" mineral spirits that is milky in color, good ole clear one in metal can works best.

IMG_20150418_120642.jpg

I pour some mineral spirits into the shaft (put your finger on hole at the butt-end to avoid leak), slush it around a bit & drip onto shaft.
Note- I use a plastic cup as I drip to catch the mineral spirits.
Here's the grip about halfway in.

IMG_20150418_120752.jpg

Align grip as necessary, I installed my grips logo down (cause I'm cool like that).

IMG_20150418_120930.jpg

Finished product.

IMG_20150418_124857.jpg

IMG_20150418_125014.jpg

I hope this helps anyone thinking of counter weighting their irons.

Interesting, is this the first time you have done this?

Aside from altering the swing weight, what is the benefit of counterweighting irons?

My understanding is that it suppose to help you release the club better at impact.

Cool project. My only question is, what if you do not like it? Are you going to be able to remove and re-use the grips?

Interesting, is this the first time you have done this?
First time counter weighting my irons, I read about the clevis pin method elsewhere. I've been meaning to do it for a while now, my favorite club in the bag is my Boccieri hybrid which has a 50g counter weight.

Aside from altering the swing weight, what is the benefit of counterweighting irons?
There are many opinions about the benefits, I know Sergio Garcia & Jack Nicklaus counter weight their irons. For me its about overall club weight & feel throughout the swing. Like I stated above I have a positive experience with my hybrid.

Cool project. My only question is, what if you do not like it? Are you going to be able to remove and re-use the grips?
I can probably try to remove & save the grips if I don't like it (low tech method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ_Hnz93EyM). Although these are $5 grips so it won't cost me a ton to cut & regrip.

Thanks for the reply. Heck, my grips go on/off with air, I may give this a try myself. Nothing to lose other than a few bucks in clevis pins:good:

Nice way of doing this. My Callaway X Hot irons were counter weighted and for me, it took all the feel away during the swing, so I went back to the original specs. Hope it works for you. If not, it is easy to pull the grips and remove the weights.

Do you adjust and bring the sw back?

Back