Will Matsuyama have an affect

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
If Matsuyama can maintain his current success or close to it will he have the same affect on Japanese golfers trying to get in PGA tour similar to Se Ri Pak's affect on S. Korean women on the LPGA?

I don't think we see an influx of Japanese male golfers on the PGA tour even if he wins a couple majors

Really interesting question. Im not sure honestly. I would honestly have thought Ryo would have a bigger impact in the states and bringing talent (regardless of play) because of personality. I think it usually takes a decade for those things to take shape, so we shall see.

It's hard to say. If he wins a bunch, I think there will be increased interest in Japan, but whether it leads to more players on tour obviously has a significant time lag.

I will say I certainly hope so. A truly global tour is good for everyone.

I would guess not unless he becomes a multiple major winner.

Impacting more players? Not sure. But he has a huge effect on the Japanese media. they follow him everywhere it seems like, so he has to be getting an insane amount of exposure.

If he becomes the first Japanese born major winner I think it will go crazy over there.

Isn't golf pretty huge in Japan anyway? I thought the issue there is lack of room, hence a lot have to make do with driving ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

man, i really think this is going to come across badly, but maybe it's because it is bad...

whether intentional or not, i think the timing of se ri pak and the lack of depth of dominant american golf on the lpga tour opened the door for the explosion of female asian talent. now i feel like it's swinging a bit more to a diverse group of winners as american women athletes start to care, and i think if prize money grows we'll see even more.

on the men's tour, i think there was already a great depth of dominant male golfers, so ryo or hideki can be as visible as they want to be, but that doesn't mean there is this untapped pool of amazing asian male golfers who can just slip right into the pga tour and start kicking american butt.

so no, i don't think hideki will have any effect.

Really interesting question. Im not sure honestly. I would honestly have thought Ryo would have a bigger impact in the states and bringing talent (regardless of play) because of personality. I think it usually takes a decade for those things to take shape, so we shall see.

I would have thought that too and wonder if his overall lack of success had something to do with it. Matsuyama definitely has a different personality and antics on the course then he did. Will be something to watch.

man, i really think this is going to come across badly, but maybe it's because it is bad...

whether intentional or not, i think the timing of se ri pak and the lack of depth of dominant american golf on the lpga tour opened the door for the explosion of female asian talent. now i feel like it's swinging a bit more to a diverse group of winners as american women athletes start to care, and i think if prize money grows we'll see even more.

on the men's tour, i think there was already a great depth of dominant male golfers, so ryo or hideki can be as visible as they want to be, but that doesn't mean there is this untapped pool of amazing asian male golfers who can just slip right into the pga tour and start kicking american butt.

so no, i don't think hideki will have any effect.

When she came on the tour there were more American female golfers than now. Saw on GC this morning the percentage of wins by Americans is pretty much the same it's just a smaller number. The play of pak was a big part of the Korean influx but the number of world ranking points are higher on LPGA than in Korean tour so players came here to get the points to get a shot at the Olympics. There were 2 or 3 Koreans that just missed out on getting in because of the 4 person limit

When she came on the tour there were more American female golfers than now. Saw on GC this morning the percentage of wins by Americans is pretty much the same it's just a smaller number. The play of pak was a big part of the Korean influx but the number of world ranking points are higher on LPGA than in Korean tour so players came here to get the points to get a shot at the Olympics. There were 2 or 3 Koreans that just missed out on getting in because of the 4 person limit

of course there were more american women on the tour before she came on the scene, but i'm saying i don't think the tour was very deep so the asian players could come in and have success pretty quickly. but they're not breaking into the pga tour because the field so much deeper. i have nothing to substantiate this other than my own perception the little i'm able to watch both tours.

Not sure if he'll have an impact on the men's tour but what an incredible talent.

Will Matsuyama have an affect

JB you would certainly know the answer better than I but isn't golf in Japan too expensive to really allow a growth of talent for the PGA Tour?
I am only asking from what I have heard not any factual position.
With regard to Se Ri Pak she was a huge influence and the effects are there for all to see.
The developing world has a lot to offer golf in terms of talent but the cost of equipment keeps them out. Our caddies can play every Monday and not a single current National Team player is not a former caddy but I do not believe that any of them bought any of their equipment. They just wouldn't be able to afford it. Having said that we have one player in university in the states and 2 in South Africa all on full golf scholarships. This bunch of former caddies hustled their way up to win the All Africa Championship with South Africa losing for the first time ever and they won the East Africa Challenge 3 times in a row where Kenya's capital has more courses than our country. All it needs is decent funding and good coaching and we are in, not just as Uganda but as a continent. It's hard however to fund golf when there are so many more needy causes out there.

of course there were more american women on the tour before she came on the scene, but i'm saying i don't think the tour was very deep so the asian players could come in and have success pretty quickly. but they're not breaking into the pga tour because the field so much deeper. i have nothing to substantiate this other than my own perception the little i'm able to watch both tours.

I will disagree that the fields weren't deep before Se ri came over there just wasn't much exposure. Granted there had dominant players like karrie Webb, Annika, Ochoa and some really good players in the middle to the late part if their careers.

I'm not sure depth if field on the PGA tour has to do with Japanese men coming over or trying. I think with Pak there wasn't a big women's golf movement in S. Korea until she came along and her dominance started a movement where in japan they have an established male tour and golfers and they may be content with not having to travel here, learn the language and adapt to the culture change. While the depth of the LPGA fields probably isn't as deep as the PGA the Koreans are coming over with a well rounded game and skills that are tour quality.

I enjoy watching the PGA tour. I'm just not a fan of the Asian golf scene.

I'll be honest, I forgot Ryo existed, I had kinda blended he and Matsuyama into one.

He had a tone of buzz when he came over didn't he?

I don't think so since golf is already pretty popular in japan. As JB mentioned Ryo was a huge star (and might still be there) so I don't think the limited number of Japanese professionals is due to lack of interest.

The only way I could see it really having an impact is if golf become more affordable there and more of the population started playing. That would likely take a huge change from the top down in Japanese golf.

I don't think so since golf is already pretty popular in japan. As JB mentioned Ryo was a huge star (and might still be there) so I don't think the limited number of Japanese professionals is due to lack of interest.

The only way I could see it really having an impact is if golf become more affordable there and more of the population started playing. That would likely take a huge change from the top down in Japanese golf.

He is a great talent along with Ryo. Enjoy watching them game. But do not think they will have much of an impact until maybe 2 major wins or so

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Back