Looking for advice on playing golf with one of my buddies

TexasVine

Reaction score
Handicap
In most cases, I seems to be able to handle uncomfortable situation well, in this case I'm not so sure so I'm looking for advise.

I have a buddy I play 9 holes with once or twice a week. I'm an 18 handicap and he's a 17 handicap. During the round he throws his clubs and has little hissy fits. When he and I play together with other guys or in an event, he doesn't display this type of behavior. I'm assuming he feels comfortable to behave that way when he just around me.

So at this point it's getting old and kind of taking a little pleasure out of playing golf with him. I had said something (non threatening) a while back and for a round or two he was pretty cool. Lately he's gotten worst. I have the opportunity to play with other friends and other courses, we have four local courses in our membership.

I'm thick skin and can go on ignoring his fits but should I? Part of me says life is to short for this and why put myself in that situation. Curious how others would handle this situation. Thanks for any input you have.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TexasVine
Thanks for all of the input. I was able to read several of the responses before I met my buddy to play another nine late this afternoon. It's almost as if he had read this post before playing. He brought up the situation, probably because of our last round. Had a good direct talk. Hopefully this made an impact.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Depends on the relationship you have with him outside of golf a little bit, but I'd find other people to play with if you don't enjoy his company.

Just be straight out with him and call him on it. Explain that it takes some of the fun out of it for you. Either he fixes it and life is good or you move on to a better situation.

I use to have some buddies that would do that during a round, I don't play with them anymore. Like Howzat said, just be straight up with him, and tell him throwing clubs makes it not fun to play with him. If that's to subtle, then just tell him I don't enjoy playing with you when you throw clubs and act the way you do.

If he's your friend then you should have no problem telling him to stop acting like a dick on the course.

I would just say it like it is! Also, if you dont like playing with him then just dont play with him. He seems to be more focused on his anger than his golf game anyways

Just be straight out with him and call him on it. Explain that it takes some of the fun out of it for you. Either he fixes it and life is good or you move on to a better situation.

If he's your friend then you should have no problem telling him to stop acting like a dick on the course.

Both QFT. I've had golf buddies like this and talking to them should absolutely take care of it. One of my very good friends used to do this and it took a couple of mentions but once he realized what he was doing, he stopped immediately and hasn't had another melt down since.

yes, talk to him. Tell him it makes you uncomfortable. If he wants to get better at golf, its not going to happen handling poor play that way. Maybe steer him towards some coaching if he is frustrated with his play.

Talk to him first. A good one will be "Do you really think you're good enough to be this angry?"

If that doesn't work, you can find other guys to play with you like the others have said.

Never understood people who act that way on the course, I get it golf can be intense sometimes but at the end of the day it is supposed to be fun! There is so much in life to get pissed, angry, irate over. Take a breath and smile��

I'd tell my friend to stop throwing clubs and to get a grip. Both are ridiculous and not needed.

If he continued I would find someone else to play with, because for me it's not fun to watch tantrums.

That sucks that your buddy even puts you in a situation like that. For me, I'm pretty comfortable telling my friends/fellow golf buddys how I feel. I'm not going to be an asshole about it, but I tend to be fairly direct. If you can do that, I would recommended it. If not, you could do it indirectly by sending him the URLs below and state how annoying it is dealing with golfers like that. The fact that he can control himself around other playing partners tells me he can control his anger.

http://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/18-most-annoying-golf-partners#12

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/grill-room/video-dude-perfects-golf-stereotypes/

Depends on the relationship you have with him outside of golf a little bit, but I'd find other people to play with if you don't enjoy his company.

I agree!!

In most cases, I seems to be able to handle uncomfortable situation well, in this case I'm not so sure so I'm looking for advise.

I have a buddy I play 9 holes with once or twice a week. I'm an 18 handicap and he's a 17 handicap. During the round he throws his clubs and has little hissy fits. When he and I play together with other guys or in an event, he doesn't display this type of behavior. I'm assuming he feels comfortable to behave that way when he just around me.

So at this point it's getting old and kind of taking a little pleasure out of playing golf with him. I had said something (non threatening) a while back and for a round or two he was pretty cool. Lately he's gotten worst. I have the opportunity to play with other friends and other courses, we have four local courses in our membership.

I'm thick skin and can go on ignoring his fits but should I? Part of me says life is to short for this and why put myself in that situation. Curious how others would handle this situation. Thanks for any input you have.

How old is your playing partner?

I'd move on, I have no tolerance for terrorists

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at my previous post, and thought about it....no matter if he's 10 of 100, tell him to stop being a f-ing baby.

You must be blunt and tell him straight up he is impacting your game. He should man up and make a change and respect your honesty.

I completely agree with Howzat.
I did quit playing with a guy that refused to stop throwing temper tantrums and tossing clubs.
He threw a wedge one time and it hit my personal golf cart. Luckily it hit the tire and did no damage.
I told him right then that another tantrum and we would never play together again.
He was good for about 2 months, then he was having a bad round and on the 10th hole after a missed putt, he threw his putter towards the next tee. It was a bad throw and almost took my head off. I left the course without saying another word to him. That was 15 years ago and I have not played with him since, and I never will.

Looking for advice on playing golf with one of my buddies

How old is your playing partner?

Along these lines....maybe get a bottle and suggest that he drink from that if he's not old enough to act like an adult.

I used to have serious temper issues, and i mellowed out as I got older, and reading threads like this helps me remember it's just a game and to laugh at myself when I play like crap. Hopefully your friend will realize it and settle down too.

I would tell him to settle down,you are out to enjoy the round together. If he keeps it up options are a good thing and act on that.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

I agree. I would talk to him when you are not playing golf with him. It is easier to talk to him when you are not on the course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I might say something like, I notice that you score better on days you don't allow yourself to get upset.

Good Lord, can you imagine the poor woman that has to deal with this guy every night. She must be hideous or a saint.

Thanks for all of the input. I was able to read several of the responses before I met my buddy to play another nine late this afternoon. It's almost as if he had read this post before playing. He brought up the situation, probably because of our last round. Had a good direct talk. Hopefully this made an impact.

Thanks again.

I'll admit it. I used to be that guy. Throwing clubs, cursing, and just generally being an unpleasant person on the course.

One of the guys in my grouping gave it to me straight: "If you aren't having fun out there on the course, acting the way you are, then we definitely aren't having fun either."

We talked about it, and it really opened my eyes. This was years ago, and I am a totally different player, and probably more importantly a different person. I don't take the game so serious that it gets me to that point. A bad shot will at most get a hearty laugh out of me now, instead of having to fish a club out of tree branches.

Back