Golf in Europe: Whose done it & can't miss places?

Atxpkrgolf

Reaction score
Handicap
8&rising
I'm going on a Cruise from Amsterdam, Netherlands to Basel, Switzerland in October with family for a week and I have decided to extend the trip and get in a lot of Golf since I've never golfed overseas. Obv im gonna get to Scotland and am looking into St Andrews but they are booked thru October already. Since I'm alone I'm thinking I might be able to get on w/o tee times since ppl always miss times. That's how I got on Pebble without a time. What other courses are can't misses over there. In Paris? London? Ireland? Switzerland? Any place that anyone has been that is just an amazing time is what I'm looking for. I don't know how many of you have done this but I'm sure some have so thank u in advance.

Last edited:
I would strongly recommend heading to Troon in Scotland. Royal Troon where they hold the Open is pricy, however, the town has 3 amazing municipal courses. These 3 courses all start from the club house in the center of town then all split and do their own thing before joining up where the 18th all run back to the clubhouse side by side.
In and around London, Silvermere was one of my favourites. It's south of London. The first 7 holes are gorgeous winding their way through the trees. The final couple of holes are testy with plenty of water in play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To get on the old course you will need to hit up the queue outside the starts box at about 2 in the morning. And if your lucky you will get out that day with a group that has a gap in it. Otherwise you'll need to queue the next night. You can also try the 48 hour ballot if you know the exact days you are going to be there.

More info here: https://www.standrews.com/play/courses/old-course/booking-the-old-course

North Berwick Golf Club!!! It's one of the oldest and most iconic courses in Scotland...home of the original "Redan" hole (the most copied hole in golf). I played there in way back in the 80's and to this day is still the most fun round of golf I've ever played!!!

https://www.northberwickgolfclub.com/the-course/

This is the 16th green..it has a freaking chasm running down the middle of it...it's wonderfully insane!!
17038557_10154167415987032_5828368280074631976_o.jpg

Haven't played too many, but Sunningdale just south of London was an absolute stunner. They have 2 courses (Old and New) and have very limited times for non-members. Very relaxed atmosphere and they made us feel like members while we were there. Was lucky enough to play the Old course on a Monday after booking pretty far in advance. Very pricey though.

North Berwick Golf Club!!! It's one of the oldest and most iconic courses in Scotland...home of the original "Redan" hole (the most copied hole in golf). I played there in way back in the 80's and to this day is still the most fun round of golf I've ever played!!!

https://www.northberwickgolfclub.com/the-course/

This is the 16th green..it has a freaking chasm running down the middle of it...it's wonderfully insane!!
17038557_10154167415987032_5828368280074631976_o.jpg

A big plus 1 on north Berwick for me. My favourite course to play, no matter how bad you've played you'll come off happy because it is so fun to play.

Thanks for the replies. North Berwick looks amazing. I've contacted St Andrews and got same info u guys gave me and I'm very excited. Now just to get my clubs there ��

Back