Go4it

No layin' up!
Reaction score
Handicap
Where is the limit on equipment helping you play the game?

I guess as long as it is conforming by PGA standards its fair game.

Let's say a company comes out with a compound they can put in their driver that will allow the average joe to hit the ball 300+ yards and it is conforming.

Is this a good thing?

I had a little bit of that feeling with the EPIC (sureout?.) While everyone does not seem to be aided by JB technology...if it added 10mph ball speed to everyone who hit it,
is that ok? (It certainly seems like it might be possible as they keep improving the tech.)

I am not sure I have the answer...golf is a tough game.

The difficulty that prevents people from picking it up quickly, is also what makes it so rewarding.

Your question is interesting for sure, I just don't know? I'm older, prefer traditions are maintained, and my knee jerk was to say that I resist too much assistance. But the question being so good, I thought about it a few minutes before responding, and I came to a different conclusion. Up until 3 years ago, I was completely away from golf for nearly 20 years. So many tech advances occurred that I was totally oblivious too. The balls the clubs, EVERYTHING was so much better and EASIER I really felt like I was cheating when I started playing again. As an older heavyset guy I was instantly hitting it further and straighter than I ever did as an athlete in my 20s and 30s. First time out with the new irons I bought I was looking for my ball 40-50 yards short of the green anytime I thinned one, because that's where it should've been. Instead I'd be on the green? What? Like I said, Cheating! Very quickly, all of that new magic became NEW NORMAL and golf is still hard. VERY HARD! Also, I don't play from the tips. If advances become so great that I'd need to in order for golf to be the challenge I want, I could always move back a set or two. So my new stance is bring it on. Any new advances might help the game grow and doesn't have to hurt it any for those of us already hooked on golf.

For me it's as simple as this....

when the technology involved completely over takes/removes skill from the equation, then I think it's gone too far. But I don't think we are nearly at that point yet. Just because company XYZ comes out with something that might make you hit it further, or pick up ball spin, or spin a ball more, doesn't mean it's going to make the skill of scoring obsolete. Golf is supposed to be fun, and for many out there hitting that one memorable shot a round is what keeps them coming back. Whether that one memorable shot comes with a D300 iron or a Mizuno blade, in my eye(and probably in their's), is meaningless. It's not the club that gets you back, its the feeling/sensation of knocking one tight from 185 yards, or flopping one over a bunker when you are short sided.

The real beauty is there are choices, people don't have to play the D300, BB OS, Altitude type irons. They don't have to plunk down $$$$ for a GBB Epic or whatever else is the hot driver at that point in time.

I'm a little bit of a traditionalist. I don't know where the limit would be. I guess wherever the PGA/USGA sets it. Golf is a challenging game, and that's what makes it great. Generally you get out what you put into it, assuming that one has normal coordination and depth perception abilities.. to your last point Go4it, the biggest thing holding back growth in golf is cost, and also having the free time to actually play and practice in any capacity, in my opinion. Not necessarily ones ability to "pick up" the game. Interesting question and a good topic.

Basically what ddec said.

Also, so long as humans swing the club, no technology will ever completely remove the skill needed for the game.

~Rock

I appreciate a ball, club or shaft that would give me an extra 10-15 yards but if there was a magic club that could give me an extra 30 yards I don't think I would buy it. I am somewhat limited due to back surgeries and could use an extra boost but if I felt that playing partners were looking at me sideways because of the equipment I was using, it wouldn't be worth the eye rolls and scrutiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back