5 iron replacement

Art M

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a love hate relationship with my 5 iron. I experimented today hitting the iron versus choking down on my 4 hybo. With 100 percent surety, the choke down is pure money. I love my alpha 815 3 and 4 because they are easy to hit and not stupid long. X2hots are stupid long imo. They fill the yardage gap perfectly. The 3 is like 205-220 & the 4 is 190_210. Ideally, a 5 hybo good for 180 plus. There is no alpha 5 hybo. Any suggestions? Thanks

Callaway Apex 5 hybrid. Replaces 5 iron distance perfectly for me and is much easier to hit well on a more consistent basis IMO.

That club is the reason the Srixon Z545 5 iron was lent to you without a second thought...haha

Sox Fan has the right idea, would also recommend the Adams Red, it is a couple years old and could be had for cheap.

Apex hybrid. The JPX Fli Hi is a sleeper here too. Iron shaft, iron length, and stupid easy to hit.

I'd take a hard look at the Titleist 816 H1 by far the best hybrid I've ever hit. It just launches so easy and has a great feel.

Have your current 5-iron checked out compared to the rest of your set. Check lie, loft, swing weight, static weight and see if the progression is off from your other clubs. Sometimes a club you don't feel comfortable with often is out of wack with the rest of your set.

Have your current 5-iron checked out compared to the rest of your set. Check lie, loft, swing weight, static weight and see if the progression is off from your other clubs. Sometimes a club you don't feel comfortable with often is out of wack with the rest of your set.

the six iron is not even a second thought, i have no problem with that. your thinking makes a bit of sense. im going to whack away at a 545 5 iron tomorrow for comparison sake, again

Lot of good options it depends on your gapping though and which loft/club would work for you.

I like F6/F7 J15 vktr tour edge ex9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Steelhead 5 hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number one, you don't say how long your hit your 5 iron. First things, first. In the Mizuno family, it's simple. I replaced my JPX EZ Forged 5 with a direct iron replacement hybrid, the JPX Fli-Hi 5. Same length, loft, shaft and distance as my 5 iron. The big difference is the versatility and ease of use, the Fli Hi offers. Much more forgiving on mishits, easier to hit a variety of shots and a breeze out of the rough. Low draws or high cuts, it does it all and has knocked the 5 iron out of the bag permanently. No forged feel, but you never care when it lands on the green.

Back