How Do You Play to Win?

How Do You Play to Win?

• I go for it. Gotta put yourself in a position to win.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I avoid the big numbers at all times, at all costs.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • I pray and spray.

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • I measure myself against other golfers by height.

Votes: 7 16.3%

• Total voters

McRock

Reaction score
Handicap
Poll time. During competition, what is your mindset to win? Are you aggressive, conservative, or something else?

~Rock

I'm a high-cap. I'm playing for par/bogey and letting the pops do the work. (hopefully)

I try to play my game and hope I make par to put pressure on them and try not to beat myself.

I choose #5. Play my own game and let the chips fall where they may. Doing stuff outside of my comfort zone or playing unusually conservative get me in trouble every time.

Nothing wrong with the Roy McAvoy approach

I voted go for it. If you're not in a position at the end then you can't win. Of course I go for it within my ability. I'm not going to try and carry something that is 300yds. So go for it but play within yourself

I just try and play my game. If I win, great. If not then I try and not beat myself up.

I try to be as aggressive as I can without doing something too terribly stupid.

This is how you play to win...

Historically, I have gone for it. Try for shots that are above my ability and live with the score. Makes for some really fun moments on occasion, but also leads to some big numbers. The last couple of years I have played more conservatively and tried to play to my strengths. It has been reflected in my scores as well, so that is probably the best option for me.

I play my normal style which is agressive.

I stay within ,yield like I always do and avoid the big number. Take calculated risks

All of the above and none of the above... I play my game as much as possible; going for it when the situation fits my game. That can, and has changed, when the situation is either, "I have to make a move", or "Let's try and put them away".

I play my game. Trying to limit the above par numbers. Playing smart and limiting risk I believe is key to keeping a level score. Knowing when and where to step on it and take on risk/reward is key.

I am going to play my game and try to just score the best I can, it the other guy makes a mistake then I will try to take advantage on that hole.

Keep each shot in front of me. Don't get too high or low, anything can happen (in golf match play.)

I understand what my strengths are for the day and I lean heavily on those. I try to put myself in situations that can allow me to use those strengths. If I am hitting my driver well, I might take some more aggressive lines. If my short game is feeling good, I might aim a little closer to the flag because I'm confident in getting it up and in from quite a few places. This applies to irons and pitching as well.

I try to play smarter, lay up more and not go for the hero shots.

I'm pretty conservative when I'm playing. I'll go for it if I think I'm in a good position otherwise I'm playing to par.

If I'm "playing to win" then, in that case, I'm going for it at all costs?

I went with the majority. Play my game and not go for the hero shots, but the smart golf shots and higher percentage shots.

I play my game and when the right opportunity arises to "go for it", I do.

avoid the big numbers... only going all-out if i'm down big and needing a miracle. Otherwise, let the opponent get frustrated and make the mistakes.

First, I demand an outrageous number of pops. Second, I demand a few more pops. Then, I run my mouth constantly, hoping to get my adversary to either laugh the whole time, thereby messing up his game, or to drive him into a seething rage, thereby messing up his game. At the turn, I demand more pops. If that doesn't work, I fake a slip/fall and go home.

1fd1nb.jpg

Back