The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windy and cool today and I still feel kinda crappy, but about to get a long practice session in.

Nice dude! Had such a good session yesterday I am going out to the course to try and work through some of it.

Need the weather to cooperate a little. Planning on getting to the range tonight with the sc100 and just work on iron shots. Also going to comapre a little SLDR and VRS Forged. Who knows, maybe bring 1 other just for fun. However right now it's raining again, so need that to go away in the next couple of hours.

Went to the range after swearing off golf yesterday during a hellish round. The course was empty, so I started taking videos of my swing and it helped to look at them. It seemed like I was starting to the inside too early, then casting OTT, which led to all kinds of dumb shots. So last night and today at the range, I focused on my take away, then almost actively re routing the club to the inside on the downswing. Posture wise, I started doing something my teacher told me, which is to get more athletic and bend my hips to I'm over the ball a little more. All of it worked well and I was hitting much better today. I just need to groove it more since it wasn't as fluid a swing as I wanted.

This is also probably the first time I'd prefer to hit on grass than mats. I feel like I hit down more on mats, but then get scared to on grass because I don't want to damage it, which is weird, and start trying to scoop the ball.

Went to the range today (which I 'never' do) because I've been driving... poorly. Discovered that my driver shaft is loose (un-glued). I thought it was just the ferrule creeping up the shaft, but it was the shaft creeping out of the hosel....

Hit the range tonight really got back to the fundamentals for me which was making a turn with my shoulders and not my hands, keeping my base(legs) stable and not allowing my left knee to move toward the ball during the turn.

I also made a conscious effort to stop my turn as soon as I had gotten my shoulder under my chin and come back into the ball by just uncoiling without adding power.

Holly crap what a difference and where the crap was this Saturday!?!

I just may have hit the ball purer than ever before, with a LA I'm not used to seeing and at least a club longer.

I've got lots of work to do to make this my swing every time but I will do it. I will not have another round like Saturday those days are behind me.

Worked out in the garage tonight on trying to swing out to in and upward with my driver. Man I feel Like I shift my weight forward to fast and hit down like a iron. Talked with the local Assistant Golf pro at the country club down the road and he's going to meet me on friday night for a lesson. Was so annoying this pass weekend going to the THP Invitational and fighting a slice. Also topping my fairway woods off the tee stinks to. Irons are good besides me topping it every now and then. So frustrating when I do that.

Spent some time tonight getting working on the short game. Chipping over the weekend was inconsistent at best, so it was nice to spend about an hour working around the greens. Felt like the touch was coming back as well as the confidence throughout the practice. Will need to keep working on it.

Afterwards worked on the putting before it became too cold to stay out there.

Range near by closed about 2 years ago. Was driving by tonight and noticed that a new range had opened there. I went home and checked it out and I can't wait to head over there tomorrow after work. May not seem like much for those of you with grass ranges and beautiful facilities but most places around here have old beat up mats, no short game areas, and no heat so this is huge for me and it's 10 minutes away.

http://www.anchorgolfcenter.com

Range near by closed about 2 years ago. Was driving by tonight and noticed that a new range had opened there. I went home and checked it out and I can't wait to head over there tomorrow after work. May not seem like much for those of you with grass ranges and beautiful facilities but most places around here have old beat up mats, no short game areas, and no heat so this is huge for me and it's 10 minutes away.

Enjoy man!

Spent some time tonight getting working on the short game. Chipping over the weekend was inconsistent at best, so it was nice to spend about an hour working around the greens. Felt like the touch was coming back as well as the confidence throughout the practice. Will need to keep working on it.

Afterwards worked on the putting before it became too cold to stay out there.

I like it man and something I need to do myself, really really got to find a good place to work on short game at.

Garage straightened out enough to get in some swings.
Maybe after this horrible Tigers game.

I like it man and something I need to do myself, really really got to find a good place to work on short game at.
It is something I have wanted to do for awhile but weather and schedule really were working against me. Felt good to be out there by myself working on the short game.

I don't care where you are that seems like one heck of a nice facility

It is something I have wanted to do for awhile but weather and schedule really were working against me. Felt good to be out there by myself working on the short game.

I know we talked about the facilities you have at one of your courses and how nice it is and how it will be good for you. As the weather gets nicer hopefully you'll get to put in lots of time in and really dial that short game in.

I know we talked about the facilities you have at one of your courses and how nice it is and how it will be good for you. As the weather gets nicer hopefully you'll get to put in lots of time in and really dial that short game in.
They just opened up the grass range and if the weather continues to warm - I will be spending some significant time over there.

Good session tonight with a continued focus on a more upright takeaway and OTT feel on the downswing. After warming up with wedges 100 yds and in, I set up my alignment sticks to work on the upright takeaway (see pic below). I did hit the alignment stick a few times as my habit is to swing inside - out on the downswing. I'll start this with a slow pump drill hitting a 9 iron off a tee like 80yds and work my way up to full swing speed.

Second half of the bucket was hybrids as I was hitting a weak fade last Saturday. I feel that with the Tour Green shaft I need give more effort to hit it straight. I get lazy and it's right all day. I finished up the range session with 3W and driver, which went well.

791364fd3aece099ef925b72677c0d6a.jpg

Ok session. Took some video. Hit long clubs well. Finally got somewhere with short wedges. Have been feeling a little lost there as of late.

Real feel of 29. Windy, some spurts of rain and snow. But it's short game night.
ed4771713cef2321cbbe3c9f94ff53c8.jpg

Practiced putting for about 45 minutes tonight. Tried to go longer but my face started hurting from the wind in the 30* weather. It was rough, but I've got to start turning all these edges I've been burning into made putts.

Great range session today. Hit them all pretty well today but was really working on my new hybrids as well. Hit them ok but hopefully better over time. What also helped me today was I really working on distance with my wedges. Used my laser and went out pin seeking and really made a difference in my practice. Also brought my earbuds with me. Practice with Pandora , why did I think of this before? Playing LPGA Jones course tomorrow.

Lol well apparently my instructor's view on my progress wasn't quite as rosey as mine. Pretty bad in fact. Sad trombone.

The good news is he gave me a different way to look at things that clicked a little better for me.

I took a 5i to pound town today on the range after my round.

Finally. Its been too long.

Another pair of eyes does wonders, as do not laying back and actually releasing through to a full finish. My god it felt good.

Last edited:
Another "short course" round today. Using them as my primary practice so far (cheaper to play 9 holes than to grab a bucket).

Iron play with the Altitudes was a breath of fresh air. Driver hit the fairway, and dead straight again. Strangely didn't hit a hybrid or 5W, as I had been in the earlier rounds. Putting speed was good.

Chipping needs work. If I can ever figure out how to keep a ball on the 8 domed greens, my short game might translate very well to other courses.

Real feel of 29. Windy, some spurts of rain and snow. But it's short game night.
ed4771713cef2321cbbe3c9f94ff53c8.jpg

Last night was so freaking cold and windy. But man I'll tell you it was so much fun. By the time I left the course there was not 1 other car in the lot. I brought my shag bag with me as you can see and it is loaded with 50 balls. I went through 8 of those bags last night. Just working on keeping the hands moving through contact. Used the 58, 54, and my set AW. With the heel relief on the 54 I could really open it up a little more than I remember being able to with the RTX CB. Had a much easier time hitting shots all 3 levels(high, medium, and low). By the end of the night things were feeling really, really good. Next short game session I am going to step back and work on shots from the 40-70 yard range. Heading out for at least 9 this afternoon and I'm pretty excited to see what my short game looks like on the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back