Launch Monitors and usage

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
There are a few THPers that have some form of monitor that are using for personal use. Having a good one has been a big wish of mine and imagine many others here too. When I was in my fitting sat and thinking about my upcoming lessons I started thinking about how I would use.

i would have to do my best to not chase pure distance with clubs and get swing out of whack doing that. My thoughts led to using it to get a true representation of my gaping thru my bag. I would use it to dial in wedges and even irons on different shots and document that in notes for on course use. Trackman has the combine and flight scope I believe has something similar, not sure about GC2 or the new quad. But that is helpful for distance control and accuracy. basically it would be a practice aid for me more than chasing numbers on swing path, launch, spin, etc as I would save that for my instructor to keep an eye on. Would also come in handy if I ever had the chance to get tapped or won a contest to review a club or balls for THP

if you could buy one what would you use it for?

I have a GC2 and honestly hardly ever use it anymore. It was good when I was unable to get to the range but now that I have a pass to the course right by my work, I don't use it. A few years ago, I would use it to hit into a net and it was nice to hook it up to my iPad and see the ball flight characteristics. I also use to use it a lot to figure out optimal settings on my driver. The good news is that after using it for a year or two, I became so familiar with the numbers and what the ball flight would look like that I could start looking just at the numbers. Now I can watch my ball flight and get a pretty good approximation of the numbers ball park so I don't really need it anymore to make sure I'm "optimized." I've gone from wanting all the numbers and in many ways chase the numbers to being more focused on hitting good shots instead of hitting the numbers.

I was thinking about launch monitors this weekend and actually looked up a couple. The range quite a bit in cost. I'd love to have one so I could practice in my backyard into a net but don't have the money to drop on those that cost even $2,000. Then again, how good would one be that is just a few hundred..... I would want one that gives distance, spin rates, launch angles specifically but also would have ball speed and club head speed secondary if affordable.

I tend to lose some lag which zaps about 10-15 yards of distance now and then. The good part is, it's consistent, so I can play for it. But I would want to keep it from coming up as frequently as it does. So I would use it to make sure I'm staying consistent, and also to dial in gaps.

I would chase numbers, which is why I don't have one. :D After I finished my review of the Swingbyte, I caught myself chasing swing speed, which could easily jack my swing up more than it already is... I'm trying to focus on results this year. I'm comfortable enough with my distances and feel like I understand most of my gaps pretty well. I think I'd be better served focusing on consistency of results at this point, and that's what I'm trying to work on this spring.

I think a full blown launch monitor would be fun, but detrimental in the long run.

I have an SC-100 that gives me carry distances and really that's all I need right now.

Id basically use it to be a simulator during the winter months.

~Rock

I have a skytrak and enjoy it very much. It has just about everything as some of your more expensive launch monitors, plus you can purchase simulation software and play on thousands of different golf courses

I have a GC2 and honestly hardly ever use it anymore. It was good when I was unable to get to the range but now that I have a pass to the course right by my work, I don't use it. A few years ago, I would use it to hit into a net and it was nice to hook it up to my iPad and see the ball flight characteristics. I also use to use it a lot to figure out optimal settings on my driver. The good news is that after using it for a year or two, I became so familiar with the numbers and what the ball flight would look like that I could start looking just at the numbers. Now I can watch my ball flight and get a pretty good approximation of the numbers ball park so I don't really need it anymore to make sure I'm "optimized." I've gone from wanting all the numbers and in many ways chase the numbers to being more focused on hitting good shots instead of hitting the numbers.

I would like to have one for similar reasons, to improve my garage/net set up. I would really like to solidify my gaping, this would be a huge help. It would make hitting into a net all winter a lot more fun. (to be honest, I really enjoy hitting balls already) It would be nice to dial in 1/2 and 3/4 distances with the bottom of the bag as well.

I could see it having diminishing returns as these things became apparent over time.

My dad's friend has an Optishot 2 in his office suite and we use it every winter to keep the muscle memory in tact. We ignore the distances because quite frankly the software and technology doesn't pick up distance 100% accurate. We ignore having to club up unrealistically and just focus on swing mechanics. It's not a launch monitor by any means, but if your budget is lean it's a great option to keep your swing in check during the winter and rainy days.

Last edited:
I don't want a launch monitor unless it's very accurate and I don't want one enough to drop $10-$22k on one. If a Trackman was $3k, I'd most likely buy one.

Having a launch monitor doesn't do a golfer any good if he doesn't have the knowledge to change his numbers. Most golfers don't have that knowledge, otherwise we'd see a lot more low single digit handicappers. That's why lessons with a pro and a proper fitting make more sense than spending money on a launch monitor. IMO, most golfers over the age of 35 could easily knock 5+ strokes off their index by improving their golf fitness. I've seen a lot of my 50 something buddies lose so much flexibility since they were 35 that they simply can't get their bodies into the proper positions throughout their golf swing anymore.

Man, I would be screwed. All I would do is chase numbers. BUT I would get a lot more practice in. Not sure I'd be practicing the right things though.

Once you get familiar with what type of equipment works best for you I'm not sure what I'd do with one except for maybe during the winter time when I can't play golf outside.

I would own a Trackman if it were under $5k. As someone who is constantly looking to improve my swing, I would use it more for club numbers than ball flight numbers. I would use it most to try to associate feelings with what the club is doing and then to try and ingrain the right moves/feels. I would also use it to optimize my numbers (to the best of my ability) anytime I got new clubs. Maybe even use the numbers to bend loft on clubs to get distance gaps more evenly spaced if I saw any discrepancies. In the case of Trackman, I would use their skills combine on a regular basis.

I just feel like it'd collect dust. A simulator portion would be better, but even then I'm not sure I would have the room for it. Plus, it's never the same as actually being out on the course.

Once you get familiar with what type of equipment works best for you I'm not sure what I'd do with one except for maybe during the winter time when I can't play golf outside.

I would use it to get numbers while working on different shots like a 3/4 7i then a pouch draw 7i, etc

I just feel like it'd collect dust. A simulator portion would be better, but even then I'm not sure I would have the room for it. Plus, it's never the same as actually being out on the course.

This is a good concern. I'm trying to think if it would be something I take to the range with me every time or just when I want to work on something. Also the practice mode and combine functions could be used every session.

Having some numbers would be fun for awhile. However if I wasn't constantly testing new clubs or something on it I would be bored. For me I think a simulator would be more useful especially during the winter months just to feel like I'm playing golf.

The most I could afford right now could probably only give me reliable ball speed #s, and possibly carry distances. It would have its uses - and I like the idea of the VC practice modes. For full on equipment reviews I think something more would be needed though. I spend a bit of time at the range, so getting it to dial in my 60-70-80-90-100 yard distances for example would be useful

once upon a time i really wanted one. now, not so much. i'm more concerned with making good swings and good contact. the times i'm on a monitor i find myself chasing numbers and that's just dumb. so i know myself well enough to know it would not be very useful for me. i'd much rather have an easy set up video recording system. i had a camera with a tripod once, but didn't use it at all. not once.

For me it'd be less about the numbers and more about a simulator. With 4+ months here of no golf, being able to play a round on some courses or even a "driving range" during the dead of winter would help my game more than chasing numbers ever would. I wouldn't lose everything that I had going at the end of the season and have to start over every April.

Since I keep weird hours naturally I would get in a lot of practice from 2am -4am when I am bored. Would love it and would buy a skytrak if I had high enough ceilings.

Helped my dad setup a simulation in his basement this winter and used a SkyTrak. Very good and fun for simulation golf and a nice way to get through the winter (TGC on a simulator is pretty cool).

Back