JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
NBA released this a bit ago, which is a fantastic highlight reel. A lot of them have been seen, but some updates were done.

Saw this the other day, the guy truly is a legend. I was lucky enough to be able to see some of his battles against Magic and the Lakers growing up.

All I see is an unathletic Kyle Korver

Thanks for sharing...Larry Legend is the player that glued me to my sofa to watch NBA. His numbers at his peak where such that only Lebron and even maaaybe can touch

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

That was good, that was when I did most of my basketball watching, late 80's and early 90's. I was a Lakers/Magic Johnson fan, and always enjoyed Bird. I have memories of him absolutely filling it up, but didn't remember him making people look that dumb with is passing game.

I played HS basketball and my dad could probably still beat me till the time I was a sophomore if I didn't just post him every possession. He could shoot, still can at 70. His favorite shot, was the "Larry Bird runner" and he used to kill me with it. He probably picked it up watching Larry Legend gut his Lakers with it.

Among the best? Absolutely. Probably top-5. But also had the good fortune of playing as part of arguably the best starting 5 ever. Parish, McHale, Bird, Ainge, and Dennis Johnson put today's super-teams to shame in terms of how much talent you can put on the floor on any given night.

• Admin
Among the best? Absolutely. Probably top-5. But also had the good fortune of playing as part of arguably the best starting 5 ever. Parish, McHale, Bird, Ainge, and Dennis Johnson put today's super-teams to shame in terms of how much talent you can put on the floor on any given night.

As was shown once he went away, most of those players looked better because of Larry Bird.
Its why all of the best ever call LB what he is, one of the greatest to ever play. The difference between generations is the will to win and heart.
The current generation (speaking generally) doesn't have what the greats that came before them had. Losing was not an option. Then add the rules changes and its easy to see why there are so many "best evers".

Look at all that hand checking. Russel Westbrook would have fallen apart.

I haven't watched the NBA since Reggie Lewis dies. After watching Bird, Magic, Jordan, Ewing, Barkley and Thomas go to war....todays NBA is like an episode of The Yound and The Restless

As was shown once he went away, most of those players looked better because of Larry Bird.
Its why all of the best ever call LB what he is, one of the greatest to ever play. The difference between generations is the will to win and heart.
The current generation (speaking generally) doesn't have what the greats that came before them had. Losing was not an option. Then add the rules changes and its easy to see why there are so many "best evers".

Oh, absolutely. McHale and Danny Ainge owe their careers to how well Bird moved without the ball and how good a passer he was, to say nothing of how much opposing defenses had to key on him. Like I said, I think Bird is top-5 all time, and I think he's a sort of unicorn in that no one has been able to emulate his style of basketball. No one else has pulled off those redirecting passes with any sort of consistency. His ability to anticipate not only what his teammates would do but what his opponents would do is simply uncanny. Further, that the 1980's Celtics managed to do as well as they did during their run given the physicality of the game at the time is amazing.

But it's tough to look at the 1980's Celtics teams in terms of what their careers look like without Bird. They were about used up by the time Bird retired.

One of the better videos i've seen of Larry legend was a montage of a game when he decided he was going to only play left handed. To have the confidence to do that on the highest level, and do it well, is why he is one of the greats. I'll see if I can find it.

Bird was, what Brady is today to most fans of the Boston teams.

His rebounding was severely underrated. Check out the number of seasons he averaged 10 boards to go with over 6.5 assists as a SF.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I'm not a huge basketball fan. Watching that highlight view is riveting. The way that guy could dish the ball was otherworldly....

Top 5 All Time without a doubt. The NBA was so much more fun to watch back then. Now it's all flops and whistles.

What a fun era to have been a basketball fan as I was then.

Is it just me or is "Bird" the coolest last name ever?!

Thanks for sharing. What a great video! That guy has always been one of my favorites of all time!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Larry Bird

Anyone remember this video game back in the day? Bird was unstoppable at the 3 point contest.
1dbdc344f3ca4cd55de9687860f07b7e.jpg

Anyone remember this video game back in the day? Bird was unstoppable at the 3 point contest.
1dbdc344f3ca4cd55de9687860f07b7e.jpg

Oh heck yeah I do!!!

On other note I hated having to face LB as a Pistons fan. But damn we're there some great games!!! Definitely one of the best ever to play the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was awesome. The guy was an animal. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

I loved watching him play.

BBall was just better back in the day.

He and Magic were (in my life experience at least) the two greatest NBA players with average (for the NBA) athleticism. Such great combinations of skill, b-ball knowledge and grit.

Was a sophomore in high school only 30 miles from Terre Haute the year Bird & Indiana State won 33 straight games only to lose to Magic's Spartan's in the NCAA final. Watched every single game on a cheesy local telecast and loved every minute of it.

That loss crushed me and it took a few years but finally grew to love Magic and his game just as much. Completely teared up and felt lost the day I heard the HIV announcement.

Many forget that Indiana State had a very difficult draw in that tournament run. Just to make the final game they had to beat a very tough Sidney Moncreif led Arkansas team in the regional final and a DePaul team that featured Mark Aguire in the final four.

Kyle Korver wishes he had 1/2 the talent Larry Bird put on display for over a decade.

That was awesome. The guy was an animal. A wolf in sheep's clothing.

I loved watching him play.

BBall was just better back in the day.

I know I sound like an old fogey, but I totally agree. I grew up watching Bird, Ainge, Parish, McHale, DJ... that was basketball I could watch all the time. Once the NBA turned into the "hop, skip, skip, skip, and a jump" league.... eh.

I know I sound like an old fogey, but I totally agree. I grew up watching Bird, Ainge, Parish, McHale, DJ... that was basketball I could watch all the time. Once the NBA turned into the "hop, skip, skip, skip, and a jump" league.... eh.

The rule is as long as you dunk it you can take 4 steps.

And flopping is the norm now

Oh heck yeah I do!!!

On other note I hated having to face LB as a Pistons fan. But damn we're there some great games!!! Definitely one of the best ever to play the game.

No doubt. I'll never forget when the Pistons finally broke through and beat the Celtics to get to the Finals in 1988. That was so sweet, after taking their lumps against Larry Legend for so long.

Back