Most Underrated State for Golf

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
What are some states you have played golf in that fly under the radar as a destination for golf?

For me, it's Utah. Salt Lake City has some amazing tracks, and one of my favorite courses ever is a track in Smithfield Utah called Birch Creek.

New York especially in western part of the state around buffalo/Rochester/niagara falls

It may look like I'm being biased but seriously, Oregon is highly underrated.

Michigan. Especially Northern Michigan. Absolutely fantastic golf courses up there, including 2 or 3 of the absolute best in the country.

Kentucky. Some great courses up there

What are some states you have played golf in that fly under the radar as a destination for golf?

For me, it's Utah. Salt Lake City has some amazing tracks, and one of my favorite courses ever is a track in Smithfield Utah called Birch Creek.

Completely agree, tops my list as well. SLC area certainly has some great courses, and if you get into Southern Utah there are some incredible desert tracks down there as well for a fraction of the cost of Arizona or SoCal. Sand Hollow, Coral Canyon and the St. George area courses are fantastic.

It may look like I'm being biased but seriously, Oregon is highly underrated.

Never been to Oregon personally, but have seen pictures and knew someone from Astoria. Looks beautiful and I'm sure they have some awesome courses

Kentucky. Some great courses up there

Eh, Ive played the #1 ranked public course in Kentucky and wasnt blown away like some other top courses. Although rankings are iffy at best and the course had an amazing layout, it just wasnt taken care of like a top course

Michigan. Especially Northern Michigan. Absolutely fantastic golf courses up there, including 2 or 3 of the absolute best in the country.

If Michigan is underrated, the person doing the rating is a moron.

Missouri

Eh, Ive played the #1 ranked public course in Kentucky and wasnt blown away like some other top courses. Although rankings are iffy at best and the course had an amazing layout, it just wasnt taken care of like a top course

Sorry you had a bad experience. Be weary of ratings my friend, especially there.

Sorry you had a bad experience. Be weary of ratings my friend, especially there.

I wouldn't say it was a bad experience at all, just not something I would expect with it being ranked #1 when we went. I just looked and it was still ranked #3

Yep nailed it. Problem with Michigan is all the good courses are nowhere near an airport and our weather sucks 9 months out of the year.

Honestly I know I sound like a homer, but there are some great hidden tracks in Nebraska, Arbor Links, Dismall River, Prairie Club, Sand Hills, a few nicer private courses in Lincoln/Omaha. Good options for sure, and I know they don't get talked about much as a state, the US Senior open was in Omaha a couple years ago, I think that was as nice as it got for publicity in quite some time.

Iowa, hands down. I may be biased though.

~Rock

Honestly I know I sound like a homer, but there are some great hidden tracks in Nebraska, Arbor Links, Dismall River, Prairie Club, Sand Hills, a few nicer private courses in Lincoln/Omaha. Good options for sure, and I know they don't get talked about much as a state, the US Senior open was in Omaha a couple years ago, I think that was as nice as it got for publicity in quite some time.

I think Neb is still a little under the radar for your average golf guy. I like this call.

Iowa, hands down. I may be biased though.

~Rock

Iowa is overrated and people already think its a terrible state to play golf in. :alien:

Agree with this. The sand hills has so many great tracks.
IceyShanks don't forget quarry oaks near Ashland. Great course.

Play buffalo ridge and you will agree with me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One course? CJ did tell me you were crazy.:alien: Actually St. Louis has some seriously historic private courses, that I would love to play and never will. :act-up:

I was going to say Missouri as well. I've played a couple nice tracks in KC and have gone to Lake of the Ozarks several times and for a place that's in the middle of nowhere and takes forever to get to, they have some outstanding golf there. I haven't even been further south to places like Shane knows....Branson and the surrounding area have great golf as well.

Honorable mention to Nebraska. Sand Hills, The Prairie Club, the whole Play the West loop. Nicklaus has a course out there....TONS of great golf to be had in Nebraska. Oh and Omaha alone has some amazing courses!

Back