Favorite Dark Finish for Irons

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the years a number of irons have come out in a darker finish. Some wear better than others, some wear quickly by design. What is your favorite and why?

I'm sentimental for the old cleveland TA3 gunmetal... they were beautiful new, and turned this dark-orangy grey when they were worn...
The new cobra MBs are pretty sexy though

The Cleveland RTX-3 dark satin finish is freakin sweet. I really liked the Adams Idea CB3 Black finish as well.

The Maltby DBM forged iron simply because it looks the best. Honourable mention to the W/S M3 and Adams CB3 for the same reason it just looks good.

The Apex Black iron finish looks great on the rack, but I saw a used set the other day, and yikes did that set at least not hold up well.

I liked the Cleveland Black CB finish as well, but don't now how those looked long term. The Cleveland irons in general had a nice dark finish, my uncle has a set of CG7 tours in black pearl that I think look great.

Srixon z45 series from Japan last year. Held up really well. Perhaps the best black finish I've seen on irons

Ive been thrilled with how the finish on my MD3's have held up

I liked the burner 2.0

Srixon z45 series from Japan last year. Held up really well. Perhaps the best black finish I've seen on irons

agreed. those get my vote as well.

I'm not super familiar with them other than the Black Oxide J40 wedges and I like how they have held up over the years.

I liked how the old ping copper clubs would patina, and the Titleist oil can wedges too, but the apex black are hard to beat.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

I don't know how they wear yet but the black finish on the Cobra forged set this year is gorgeous.

Ones I've played it's been the black finish on Cleveland wedges, but the look I love the black of the Apex Black irons.

I don't know how they wear yet but the black finish on the Cobra forged set this year is gorgeous.

+1
Nothing to add

Not a fan of dark finishes in general but the finish on the Bridgestone J15 wedges held up really well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give me anything black. If not black gotta be chrome.

The Cleveland RTX-3 dark satin finish is freakin sweet. I really liked the Adams Idea CB3 Black finish as well.
I agree with both of these actually. The finish on the RTX 3 is probably one of my favorite finishes ever.

Mizzies boron finish has that dark pewter color.

I'm sentimental for the old cleveland TA3 gunmetal... they were beautiful new, and turned this dark-orangy grey when they were worn...
The new cobra MBs are pretty sexy though

TA3's and TA1's in gunmetal are sick. Gunmetal TA1's are my next purchase.

Love the dark look. Apex look great in black for sure. Sorry to hear they don't wear well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

For irons it has to be the black Srixon brought out on the 7/945's.

The black Apex CF16 get the nod for me. Every time I see them I think they look great.

The black Apex CF16 get the nod for me. Every time I see them I think they look great.

My first thought too. I agree with the comment to some degree about how they show wear, but I'd like to see several dark finishes with similar wear / utilization compared to fairly judge.

Wilson Staff's gun metal blue finish. Would love to get my hands on the C200 or D300 gun metal blue irons (if the budget would ever allow it).

I am really digging the Callaway Steelhead XR Pro finish though.

Last edited:
Back