Focus and Concentration

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
On days when I'm striking the ball decent and scoring decent (at least with my HC), I notice that I am very relaxed and not having any distractions enter my mind. It's on days like that which I find that I am able to concentrate and focus On what I'm doing and what I need to do. I sort of walk through a Jason Day thing where I mentally visualize the shot, and then concentrate on making it happen. It seems to work but there are other days when I allow distractions to enter my mind and find I'm having difficulty focusing and concentrating on my game, and my score suffers.

My question is, what percentage of your game depends on concentration and focus?

Can't really put a number on it but if I could I believe it would be very high!!

It matters a lot for me. If I look at a work email during a round, I am pretty much toast from that point on.

No clue. I've grinded out some lower rounds and have had some that were easier.

I find I play my best in one of two situations. One: Zero expectation round, go out there and just start hitting it good. Stay loose and keep it rolling. Two: Hyper focused competitive round. I thrive on competition and really seem to play well relative to my competitors in these situations. I tend to always get a good yardage, make smart plays, visualize my lines well. I have never shot a PB or anything but do well in relation to the field.

Not sure really. But sometimes it seems like I strike it best when I don't think about it. Sometimes I'll just walk up and just swing, not thinking about anything, and it's usually a well struck ball. Unfortunately I can't ever do that when I'm playing competitively because I think too much and try to break down every little detail.

It is definitely a mental thing as I usually find I have scored better when I don't over analyse everything, don't try to work out how I am doing with regards to score and just take it shot by shot

It matters a lot for me. If I look at a work email during a round, I am pretty much toast from that point on.

Rule of thumb in our group - work is not allowed to be discussed or you might get hit with something. We are out there to chill out away from things like that so don't bring it up. If I worked in a job that involved golf with clients to discuss business then that is different, but even then, if the round is not business orientated then don't discuss it

For me, when I'm playing well I'm a lot more loose and easy going. When I'm not, I tend to over think my swing. So, a long time ago, I started walking myself though the hole before I play it, trying to see the results and shots I'd want to take. Then, start over and from the tee with seeing that first shot, and using good breathing techniques to calm myself and make the shot. From that point forward on the hole, if I pulled off the shot or not, it's the same process. Each past shot is just that, focus on the next one in front and make the correct decision.

The mental side is the most important factor on whether I play to my index. I would guess that 80% of my missed greens or approaches that finish more than 40 feet from the hole are mental mistakes that happen before I hit the ball. Not adjusting for lie, wind, sloppy aim or lack of decisiveness before I step into the shot. Putting is even more than 80% mental and getting the correct read.

I think it's huge, especially when you have some ingrained tendencies that you haven't overcome for whatever reason.
If I don't focus on lighter grip, 75-80℅ and finish, more often than not I'll have a death grip, get quick and overswing.
I know too many swing thoughts can be bad but none at all isn't much better.

Interestingly, it seems that my best rounds have happened when I think and concentrate the least.

Focus and Concentration

For me focus and concentration is for when I am preparing to hit the ball. That is what my preshot routine is used for. While I am going to my next shot or while other people are hitting I don't think about my round. I Cant stay focused for the entire round and if I start thinking about how good or bad I am playing it doesn't do anything beneficial for my game.

For me focus and concentration is for when I am preparing to hit the ball. That is what my preshot routine is used for. While I am going to my next shot or while other people are hitting I don't think about my round. I Cant stay focused for the entire round and if I start thinking about how good or bad I am playing it doesn't do anything beneficial for my game.
Agree with this, concentration goes into preshot and practice swing that hopefully helps you get focused for the one that counts.

I'm bad for this. Unnecessary thoughts creep into my head on the takeaway. Reading Rotella's stuff over again and really gonna focus on a solid preshot routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Focus is incredibly importantly. If I loose focus my game goes HEY a Squirrel!!

The key for me is relaxation and keeping the mind clear. When I focus too much I think it can become more a grind and increase the tension in the swing.

Probably 90% of my game is mental. Muscle memory can swing a club, but if my mind isn't right, then my mind will screw everything up for me.

#MentalGameIsReal

~Rock

Back