Golf Trip Competitive or Fun?

patriotcoach

Reaction score
Handicap
We all go on golf trips with a group. Do you go to have fun above all or do you let your competitive nature reduce the fun for you and the others in the group?

I have been competitive to the point that I lose out on the fun of the experience. As I have gotten older, this has become less of a problem. I want to hear what you have to say!

Last edited:
I think it can be both and THP events prove that. I really like the competition side to keep me focused on each shot, especially partner or team competition where I am playing for someone other than myself. At the same time it has to be fun or why not use that time and money on something else.

I like to play well (i.e, I guess I'm competitive with myself), but otherwise the fun.

I've only gone on a few extended (more than a few days) golf trips and those were all to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area and it was all about the fun.

All about the fun for me. Sometimes we'll have a match just to keep things interesting, but its usually for things like paying for a round of drinks post-round, or lunch, and encouraging trash talk among friends.

My largest annual trip is entirely about fun.

Probably because my handicap is at least 10 shots lower than anyone else on the trip, but it's really just an excuse to play a few great courses and spend some time with the guys.

As for my competitive side, I have to satisfy that with my weekly leagues, occasional local tournaments, and dreaming about THP events.

Had one a few years ago and it was 100% about the fun. I was just starting out at the time though. Maybe now that we have improved there may be a competitive aspect as well.

why not both? but if i have to pick one or the other, it's fun every time.

I go on a golf trip about once a year and for the most part it is all fun but my competitive side hates when I start to play bad. Then its a battle to remember its all about the fun.

I think it can be both and THP events prove that. I really like the competition side to keep me focused on each shot, especially partner or team competition where I am playing for someone other than myself. At the same time it has to be fun or why not use that time and money on something else.

Well said!

I haven't been a many golf trips as a whole. THP events are FUN. With that said I'm at least competitive with myself and my scores, but usually it's more about fun with the fellas I'm with.

I like to be competetive, but having fun and enjoying the experience it what makes it worth while.

Fun above all!!!

I love the play for fun,have a highly competitive spirit in me. If it's a watch with friends why not have a game on the line if all are in agreeance.

Sent from my SM-G900W8

Fun. Always fun.

If some in the group want to play games, I might partake, but I'm on a trip to enjoy it all.

If I'm planning/going on a golf trip, fun is always first on the list.

I like some competition with side games but I don't get into the big cash games.

I like competition but I like fun far more.

I would rather have a golf trip be about the golf and hanging out with buddies than competition. If some games are played between groups that is cool.

The annual "Guy" golf trip I go on is for fun above all, but all 12 of us have a very competitive streak in us so the side bets and ribbing is very prevalent.
After the day of golf, it continues late into the night with poker and any other reindeer games we can come up with.

Can both work? I need both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun first and foremost. To me the most important part of the trip is that everyone has fun and wants to do it again the next year.

To make it somewhat competitive is always fun. We have done small buy ins for individual games (low net/gross and most birdies) then a low gross where 2 teams are made up splitting the handicaps.

Then each foursome each day might play some individual games and I know there were some nassaus going on between some other people.

For our group if it was all competition I think several people would drop off as it might be the only golf they play all year.

Fun, I don't care if its just with friends or what I golf for fun and the time spent with friends. Plain and simple. I like a little competition but I golf for fun!

There's always one guy my group who always wins. So now it's just about fun, and the occasional hole to hole bet.

Back