Reaction score
Handicap
A number
You have 7 Points to spend on choosing your skills for each category:

- Driving

- Iron Play

- Short Game

- Putting

Of the 7 points, you can spend AT LEAST 1 or AT MOST 3 on each category.

1 Point: Ability of an 18+ Handicapper (High Handicap)
2 Points: Ability of an 8-13 Handicapper (Mid Handicap)
3 Points: Ability of a Scratch Golfer (Low Handicap)

For Myself:

Driving: 2
Iron Play: 2
Short Game: 1
Putting: 2

I'd go, driving 1, and 2 for the rest. Phil seems to hardly ever hit a fairway and he does ok. It's tough, bc it's a catch 22 everywhere. Good driving covers poor iron play assuming your better with your lower irons, good iron play helps poor driving, and if you can't hit green with your irons short game is key but good short game also eliminates the need to be spectacular putter and vice versa. Tough call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron Play: 1
Short Game: 3
Putting: 1

I keep it in the fairway and have at least a little distance.
Iron play is meh, but
My short game is awesome so missing greens isn't that bad.
My putting is meh, but my short game should keep me from having a lot of long putts.

Drives end up well and inbounds, that's all I need. Hopefully iron shots are decent to get me close, then my short game is where the magic happens. Hopefully I can chip quite a few in so I don't rely on my putter. But if I gotta putt, I cross my fingers and hope for the best. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every once in a while.

I think I'd have to go similar to the OP, and it pretty closely resembles where I have been for a couple of years, which has gotten me into single digits each season (the short-coming in the short game eventually rears its ugly head, though).

Iron Play: 2
Putting: 2

Putting: 3

Putting like a scratch golfer would be huge imo. You are basically eliminating 3 putts and should be sub 30 most days. As long as you keep it in play (drive it ok) the score should be solid

My chipping has been horrible as of late and my driver which was a problem 2 seasons ago is back under control.

Putting has stayed consistent and I am happy with my iron play.

I keep it in the fairway and have at least a little distance.
Iron play is meh, but
My short game is awesome so missing greens isn't that bad.
My putting is meh, but my short game should keep me from having a lot of long putts.

I'd use my 7 points the same; 2,1,3,1 and with exactly the same reasons.

Tough call but since I mostly play team events competitively I would have to go:

Driving : 1
Irons : 1
Short Game : 2
Putting : 3

On days when I'm playing not in a team setting I would still live with this. Putting being scratch is huge and can bail out a large amount of bad play.

- Driving 1

- Iron Play 1

- Short Game 2

- Putting 3

2, 1, 1, 3. A good putt always makes things better.

Irons: 1
Short game: 3

Keep it in the fairway, get it halfway close with an iron, then use superior short game to get it close to the pin so I don't have to worry so much about putting. That easily gets me in to the 80's, where I'd be happy for awhile

Driver-3
Irons-3
Short game-1

I'd like to be able to pound it off the tee just once in my life. Also, what's it matter if my short game and putting are so-so, when I'm sitting on three strokes just to get to the green?

2 putting and chipping
2 driving
1 irons

You still have 2 more points to spend!

nah that's 7
2 putting
2 chipping
2 driving
1 irons

sorry should've made it clearer

Driving 2
Irons 2
Short Game 1
Putting 2

Irons and putting are used on every hole, so I see no reason to shortchange myself there. Respectable driver distance off the tee coupled with accuracy is a huge advantage. Sorry short game.........you got the short end of the stick at 1 point.

Driver:1
Irons:3
Short Game:1
Putter:2

I feel like I could play a long irons off the tee at most of the local courses and be just fine, if my irons aren't missing much, i'm not missing many greens. Assuming i'm hitting greens in regulation i'm at least putting for birdie, so I want a strong putting game.

For the folks that have put a "3" in short game, I feel like your going to save a lot of pars, but not have many chances for birdie. I'd argue the easiest way to make par, is to miss a birdie putt :)

I feel like it's a similar game to what I played all last season, say 2/1/3/2, and it's a curse lol.

- Driving 2

- Iron Play 1

- Short Game 2

- Putting 2

I'm a fairly straight, if not very long driver. Low handicap doesn't necessarily equal length. All my best rounds come when I hit a higher number of greens in regulation, so I think improving my irons, which is what I'm trying to do now, would benefit my game most.
So I'm going for 3 points on irons.
I can't putt for shite, so another 3 on putting.
My short game is probably my stronger point, so I'll use that other point on driving.

Tough call but since I mostly play team events competitively I would have to go:

Driving : 1
Irons : 1
Short Game : 2
Putting : 3

On days when I'm playing not in a team setting I would still live with this. Putting being scratch is huge and can bail out a large amount of bad play.

This is what I would do as well.

I'm a fairly straight, if not very long driver. Low handicap doesn't necessarily equal length. All my best rounds come when I hit a higher number of greens in regulation, so I think improving my irons, which is what I'm trying to do now, would benefit my game most.
So I'm going for 3 points on irons.
I can't putt for shite, so another 3 on putting.
My short game is probably my stronger point, so I'll use that other point on driving.

I think you have to give 1st least one point to everything though. Otherwise you are never leaving the tee box!

I think you have to give 1st least one point to everything though. Otherwise you are never leaving the tee box!

So we're starting from scratch, rather than applying the points to our current game? That's different then. 3 points driving, 3 points irons, 1 point putting LOL.

Back