Pre-shot routine?

lblanto1

Reaction score
Handicap
Do you have something you religiously follow? Do you try to do something and shy away from it? If you have a pre shot routine, what is it and have you noticed and improvement in your overall game since going to it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I can explain my routine. About half of it is subconscious and I don't understand the rest. I try to make sure I line up behind the ball and visualize the path I want the ball to take and then i try to have only one swing thought which is usually something "hit down through the ball"

I try to make the whole process as automatic as possible.

I'm don't have a specific pre-shot routine and the less I think the better results are typically. However, I will always reset if I feel uncomfortable standing over the ball.

I have 2 separate routines. When I'm swinging well I pretty much stand behind the ball and pick a target about a yard in front of my ball to help get aligned to where I want, waggle and let it fly. The other routine is when I'm struggling with my swing. Then I pretty much just add 2 practice swings while i'm behind the ball, 1/2 swing first to get the feel of the release and full swing 2nd.

This is something I really need to create. Right now, it's about as inconsistent as every other part of my game.

No real pre-shot routine other pulling up my shirt sleeves especially if I'm wearing long sleeves or a jacket.
I try not to think to terribly much before taking the club back. If I think too much, I'll talk myself out of what I had planned.

I have 1 pre shot routine and I follow it religiously.

GASP.

G-grip the club before anything else, that way it's always the same.

A-aim, pick out a target and set the club face up square to the target.

S-stance, set my feet square to the club face and set my ball position according to the club.

P-posture, make sure my posture is good and body position isn't getting loose.

It's helped a ton and taken a lot of variables out of the equation. It sounds like a lot, but once I got used to it, it only takes a very short time. I use it from driver to putter. A solid pre shot routine is always a good idea IMO.

My pre-shot routine for tee a tee shot with driver
1) Tee my ball up to 1 1/2 times the height of driver head
2) Stand behind ball and pick a target to aim for then match it up with a target about 4 feet in front of me
3) square my feet up with ball and the spot 4 feet in front of me making sure my ball is placed just inside my big toe
4.) Bring my left foot back about 1/2 inch (for some reason that seems to correct my line-up)
5) Swaggle a bit and let it rip

Shoot yardage (if needed)
Select club
Practice swing behind the ball
Pick target/line
Give it a whack

If it's not exactly it's something close.

My pre shot routine involves standing behind the ball and choosing my intermediate target, then I address the ball, then I take rehearsal swing (think Rickie Fowler post swing change), then I release the kraken.

1. Tee ball and check tee height
2. Set my left hand in a "strong grip"
3. Pick a point for the shot from behind the ball
4. Set club so that it is going down the target line
5. Settle in my stance
6. One more look
7. Swing

Pre-shot routine?

1. Figure out club and shot shape.
2. Tee ball.
3. Stand behind ball. Visualize shot and pick target line.
4. Stand beside ball. 1-2 practice swings feeling the shot.
5. Align clubhead and take grip and stance.
6. Breath
7. Look at target
8. Focus on target and swing.

Also, I practice this at the range after some block practice. Really helps the transition to the real game. Beating countless balls at the range is pointless.

Last edited:
I always grip the club the same and use the bottom groove as my guide (grips are logo down).
I always pick an intermediate target a few feet in front of my golf ball to use for my aim.
I always look at the target and see the shot I want to hit in my mind right before taking the swing.
I always take a big breath as my trigger to start my swing.

60% of the time, it works every time.

Seriously though, yes it helped improve my game significantly.

These are all good. I am going to develop something that is standard for every shot. I do have some sort of routine as far as picking target but I am going to get something repeatable and definitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing at this point, although I am going to really work on creating one this year.

Not much, I always stand behind the ball and find my line, then address, but I don't really see the need for a pre-shot routine, I'm more concerned with the swing itself, I've never made a bad shot and thought I needed more pre-shot moves.

I have one, it's a bit too long to write down. I do alignment and a few mini swings to establish the relationship between the hips, arms and shoulder. Then I go. It takes me about 20 seconds.

Back