How long did it take you to break 100, 90, etc?

TSauer

Reaction score
As the title states, how many of you remember how long it took you to break 100 and so on? My plan this year is to break 90. I've been getting in lots of chipping/putting practice when I can, with hopes of excelling my game quite a bit this season.

As the title states, how many of you remember how long it took you to break 100 and so on? My plan this year is to break 90. I've been getting in lots of chipping/putting practice when I can, with hopes of excelling my game quite a bit this season.
Well, I started golfing at 10 and was breaking 100 from the get go, bit took me a long time to break 90 and then I went to the low 80s consistently in highschool and then went to college stayed their and when I joined the Navy and pretty much didn't play for 5 years, jumped back to the upper 90s. Last summer I started out averaging high 90s and by the end of the summer I was back down to the low 80s and just last weekend almost broke 80 but my putter decided not to get along with me, lol and I shot an 81. Just keep chugging and u will get there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

and just last weekend almost broke 80 but my putter decided not to get along with me, lol and I shot an 81.

I can only imagine how you felt after that round. That'll be a pretty great milestone once you reach it!

I can only imagine how you felt after that round. That'll be a pretty great milestone once you reach it!
Yeah I hit 81 once last summer and I've played 3 rounds this year so far and shot an 84, 84, and 81. So this is a good start to the season. Hoping to be in the mid to low 70s by end of summer. I was excited when I hit 81 last summer. Now getting it this early in the season makes me want it even more lol.

I played my first round of golf on my 27th birthday and shot 52 for 9 holes. 2 months after that first round I broke 100 and then broke 90 within later that first year. Sometime near the end of my 2nd year playing I broke 80. That was the only time that year I broke 80. During my 3rd year I hung out between 75 and 85 and by the end of my 4th year I was a 5 handicap. At the start of my 5th year playing I decided to get serious about the game and started getting lessons every 3 to 4 weeks. During the 5th year I broke 70 for the first time.

Is this breaking them at all or just consistently?

Cause 100 was about 2 weeks after starting, 90 was about 6 weeks but I still hover around low 90s high 80s

Not sure about 100. But I broke 90 in 2008 and 80 in 2012.

My recollection is I was breaking 100 fairly early on, if not from the beginning. I hovered in the 90s until taking lessons, then broke 90 within a season (?). I've only broken 80 twice. That took some time, it was like a 2 season gap between doing it the second time and I'm still waiting for the third time.

I broke 100 fairly consistently by my 2nd year. I broke 90 consistently by probably the 4th or 5th. Broke 80 by year 7 or 8.

We're supposed to be breaking those?

I was always 120-95 type golfer, so I would break 100 every year a few times.

In 2013 I worked on 1 pc takeaway and grip- broke 90
In 2014 I worked on my driver and solid contact
In 2015 I worked hard to get rid of Over the Top move and took Aimpoint- broke 80 -3x
In 2016 I worked on ShortGame/Inside 100 yards-Break 80 regularly, and shot par 3x on 9 hole games
In 2017 I will be working on 200 yard+ shots as I have no problem making par, just need more birdies

To break 100, not very long. Once I started actually trying to play instead of just slicing everything OB, I did it fairly quickly. 90 took me until the end of that same summer that I first broke 100. Breaking 80 took me roughly 3/4 of a season once I started putting more practice in and deciding I wanted to be better. Breaking 90 and breaking 80 had a few season layoff after I moved to Cleveland and didn't play for a while up here.

2014 was the first year I really played golf, I had a membership and played over a hundred times. Broke 90 that year, broke 80 the following year, broke 70 twice last year. But this is on a par 70 course that is short and wide open, on more difficult courses my low rounds are in the high 70s.

I started playing late in life, and it took me about 4 years to break 100 consistently from the regulation tees, and I still hit around 100 too much for my liking, but this year I anticipate being a bogey golfer for good. I was so bad my first two years that I didn't even keep score, tough times.

I broke 100 my second season of playing.

I've yet to break 90... but it WILL HAPPEN this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started play 6 years ago at age 50. It was 4 years before the notion of keeping score or trying to improve took hold. It took another year before I could get through a round without throwing the score card away. In the last year I've been in the mid 90's and in the last month a couple of rounds at 91-92. Breaking 90 will happen soon and I'm looking forward to the mid 80's. Funny thing is very little of this process was frustrating, I attribute that to great playing partners.

Last edited:
Years really isn't a fair way to know the time it takes a person to break 100, some can only play once a week, and practice here and there, others can get out there every day. A better timeline is balls hit and rounds played, I bet it takes about 10,000 balls and 150 rounds before a player starts to see their numbers fall below 100 regularly.

Years really isn't a fair way to know the time it takes a person to break 100, some can only play once a week, and practice here and there, others can get out there every day. A better timeline is balls hit and rounds played, I bet it takes about 10,000 balls and 150 rounds before a player starts to see their numbers fall below 100 regularly.
I agree that years is not a good metric, but I think most golfers can break 100 faster than that if they actually have that as a goal. I've played with guys who could break 100 if they kept their driver in the bag on more holes and played smarter shots when the situation demanded (forced carry, OB in play, etc) but instead they play to have fun, never lay up, etc.

I honestly think if I took some lessons for bout a summer I would easily break 70.

It took me one summer to break 100 and 6 months to be in the low 80s. A year to move into the 70s. It took 2 years to be able to know I was shooting no worse than 79.

I'm not sure how long it took me once I became more dedicated to getting better to break 90.. I do know that I shot 80 4 times before breaking into the 70s for the first time.. after that the mental block was gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly think if I took some lessons for bout a summer I would easily break 70.

Honest question, have you ever broken 70? And if you did, do you remember what you did to accomplish that?

Easily breaking 70 is not an easy task at all. There is so much more to it than just working on your swing. So many things have to go right if it's not a regular thing.

I came really close when I was in high school. Shot a 71 and I had been taking lessons, but honestly my swing is better than it used to be and I agree. It's all about playing smart golf, not just the swing. I haven't had a lesson in probably 20 years

Started golf the fall after college and became addicted. Broke 100 the next summer. Broke 90 the next year and was shooting occaisional low eighties by summer of the third year. Life changed that next summer with a new job played much less and never did break 80.

Fast forward 20ish years and was able to play golf a lot once again. Breaking 90 was not difficult but breaking 80 took 3-years and did it twice that fall. Only broke 80 once in year four but did at least four times last year. Not so sure about 70......age may overtake opportunity when it comes to that goal

Back