Callaway Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood - Technology Q&A

I hit this club VERY well today the ball just jumps off the face and has s nice trajectory. I hit this anywhere from 178 - 210 & like Jman says it's addicting. I enjoyed hitting it so much the new Vseries 3w never made it out of the bag. Just a stupid fun club to hit.

Last edited:
This club is a high launch monster, perfect if you need that. My daughter was playing in a high school tournament a couple of weeks ago and totally shocked her coach when she hit a rocket over a big tree to cut a corner on a par five. He looked at her like "did you really just do that"? And she just shrugged and said " I had that shot in the practice round". He did not know she specifically hit her tee shot where she did because that was the shot she wanted to hit. Put it in the left fairway 30 out on a par 5.

After a poor drive yesterday, I had three very large trees about 30 yards in front of me on a sharp dogleg left hole. Hitting a very big hook was not really an option even for me. It it would not have snapped off very big and hard, I would have been through the fairway and out of bounds right. The longest iron that I could have comfortably pulled to get over the trees was a GW and that would have left me with a 160 or so 3rd shot into a long par 4. So out comes the HW to take a whack at it out of a pretty good lie in the rough. Easily launched up and over the trees and left me with a 50 yard pitch shot into the green. My playing partner thought I had lost my damn mind when I pulled a fairway wood to attempt that shot..haha.

I really need to hit one of these things

I had the chance to demo the Heavenwood today. The mats on this range have the thick fluffy turf over the auto tee mechanism that you're supposed to hit from and the really short stuff you're supposed to stand on. I was able to easily hit nice high shots from both sections of the mat.

Last edited:
Yesterday on the first tee l pretty much shanked my hyrbid in to the 18th fairway. The greens keeper was over there and was giving me some Crap about that shot. It left 210 to the center of the green that had to go up and over trees and a hazard (that's about 70 from the green). Took out the heavenwood and blasted one that carried everything and hit just right of the green at the back end. Pitched it to 2 feet and made par. This club is just silly easy to hit. On that hole it was a get out of jail free card.

Playing in reg flex and everything else I have is stiff. I like it quite a bit because I can tell myself just a nice easy swing will make it go.

Yesterday on the first tee l pretty much shanked my hyrbid in to the 18th fairway. The greens keeper was over there and was giving me some Crap about that shot. It left 210 to the center of the green that had to go up and over trees and a hazard (that's about 70 from the green). Took out the heavenwood and blasted one that carried everything and hit just right of the green at the back end. Pitched it to 2 feet and made par. This club is just silly easy to hit. On that hole it was a get out of jail free card.

Playing in reg flex and everything else I have is stiff. I like it quite a bit because I can tell myself just a nice easy swing will make it go.

I was actually going to ask if anyone else was playing the HW in regular. That's what I'm playing it with, and I've found that it takes about zero effort to hit a ball that would be an all out swing with my old 3h. I was fit for it indoors, so I was somewhat concerned about spin into the wind, but I have had absolutely zero problems with the ball holding its line.

On one of the courses I play, there's a sharp dogleg left where you need to get the ball out 200-ish to not have a tree blocking your approach, depending on where the pin is. I feel like I'm able to get far closer to the corner with the Heavenwood than I was with the 4w, just because it goes so high and the trees on the left side of the fairway aren't as much in play.

If you are on the fence about this club, I strongly urge you to go out and give it a swing. I just had my first range session and I was completely blown away. Nice and high ball flight and the forgiveness across the face is really good. I hit all but one shot off the mat and it's just so easy. I really think that everyone could benefit from this club. It has me seriously pondering the 3 wood now. Callaway hit a home run with this club and it's probably already my favorite club.

I have been pondering tipping the shaft in this club 1/2" and adding the 1/2" back to the butt to maintain the 42.75" length I am playing it at. Any advice or opinions from anybody that is more experienced at doing this like this than I am. Looking to bring the ball flight and spin down a little.

I have been pondering tipping the shaft in this club 1/2" and adding the 1/2" back to the butt to maintain the 42.75" length I am playing it at. Any advice or opinions from anybody that is more experienced at doing this like this than I am. Looking to bring the ball flight and spin down a little.

I think that would bring the ball flight down, but I think it'd also take some of the magic out of the club. A 7W is kind of supposed to be about massive launch.

If you're considering this, I'd advise picking up another Heavenwood in the next level of stiffness in shaft. Sell the one you like less.

I think that would bring the ball flight down, but I think it'd also take some of the magic out of the club. A 7W is kind of supposed to be about massive launch.

If you're considering this, I'd advise picking up another Heavenwood in the next level of stiffness in shaft. Sell the one you like less.
How much will tipping it 1/2 " really bring the flight down? I am not a high ball hitter but launch this to the sky and cannot get much distance as a result. I am looking to bring it in around 5 wood launch. I like the shaft and really don't have near the SS for X Stiff. I am more borderline stiff / regular.

Have you thought about getting a lower launching shaft put in? (Assuming you are playing stock Bassra) I have the Tour Green stiff & I don't have experience with the stock shaft, but the Tour Green has a nice mid flight that doesn't balloon and holds its flight. Worth a shot if you can find one to tinker with.

I think you're look at a scenario that is more of a tweak than a full-scale change of how the club performs Sox.

I think you're look at a scenario that is more of a tweak than a full-scale change of how the club performs Sox.
That is correct.
Have you thought about getting a lower launching shaft put in? (Assuming you are playing stock Bassra) I have the Tour Green stiff & I don't have experience with the stock shaft, but the Tour Green has a nice mid flight that doesn't balloon and holds its flight. Worth a shot if you can find one to tinker with.
I already have a mid launch shaft in it in the Speeder 665. Tried the low launching Prolaunch Red but it was too harsh for me. Very rarely have a ballooning issue with the shaft. Like the shaft and just looking to get it down a little.

I am looking to bring it in around 5 wood launch.

Maybe just get the Vseries 5w? I could be mistaken, but I tend to think the most a shaft is going to really change things is about a degree of launch and ~1k RPM. If you want to bring it into 5W launch, then maybe just go with the 5w?

You could also do the 5w and keep your 7w. That's my setup, though I've shortened the 7W to make a wider gap.

Sox Fan I'm not a fan of tip tipping a shaft and in some shafts it doesn't change flex at all (not sure about this one). A shorter shaft should bring ball flight down but you would probably need to make sure you get the swing weight where you want it. A heavier overall shaft would probably be your best option, you might even try a steel shaft. Counter weighting might also lead to a lower ball flight. Some lighter shafts allow for overpowering the club and adding loft. Just some suggestions.

On second thought your best option might be to get a lower launching FW shaft in the same flex. You might check the shafts torque rating and try to find one that is 3.5 or preferably less for a more lofted wood like the heavenwood. I suspect that having a 43" shaft has a lot to do with the flight as that is the length of a 3-wood shaft. I think if you do have it tipped I would just tip it .75" to 1" and try it that way before adding length back to the grip end.

This club is a ton of fun. I do find I have to worry about trying to absolutely kill the ball when I get in a groove on the range, but smooth swings are rewarded with high/straight shots. It was really windy at the range the other day, and I continue to be surprised at how well the ball holds its line for me. I think I'm going to add just a bit of lead tape to the head (playing it just a bit short), but otherwise this is a club I am incredibly happy with. Depending on the course, it might be the only fairway in the bag.

I just picked one up on CPO. With 20% off and some trade-ins, I paid $11 for it. Something tells me it will be the best $11 I ever spent.

I just picked one up on CPO. With 20% off and some trade-ins, I paid $11 for it. Something tells me it will be the best $11 I ever spent.

That sir, is a hell of a sweet deal.

Took mine out to the range for the first time. Couple of things surprised me... It gets the ball up really quick, it has a "tink" sound to it more than I expected, its really forgiving and it fits my gaps PERFECTLY!!!

Awesome deal!

The more I read about this club the more I want to try it out for myself. Looks like a trip to Carls golf land might be in order. So correct me if I am wrong but most people are seeing distance of a 4-5w, with much better launch?

The more I read about this club the more I want to try it out for myself. Looks like a trip to Carls golf land might be in order. So correct me if I am wrong but most people are seeing distance of a 4-5w, with much better launch?

I'm not seeing quite the distance I would out of a 5W (actually carry both sometimes). Launch is high for me with the stock shaft, but certainly not something I'm complaining about, and it's relatively easy for me to hit off of the deck. I'd think that this club would pair up really well with a 4W. I'm carrying DR/3W/HW/4I right now and haven't had any massive gap issues. I've also carried this with no 4I and found that I could choke up a bit to dial the distance back. Needs more practice but worth mentioning.

I'm not getting the same distance as my RFE 4 wood but what I am getting is ease of use. That to me right now may be a little more important. I'm loosing about 15 to 20 yards but so far it's been ok cause it's proven itself in some bad situations that I'd never be able to hit my 4 wood in due to getting it over obstacles.

More of a 3h replacement for me - maybe a little bit longer. But easier to get up in the air than a hybrid.

Back